Quantcast
2018-2019 Winter tire discussion - Page 32 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 LastLast
Results 621 to 640 of 641

Thread: 2018-2019 Winter tire discussion

  1. #621
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,233
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man, no point in trying to break down stuff like this, truthfully. People will disagree with you just as you will disagree with them. I can line up 10 guys and let them test 10 different tires and every single one of those tires will have lovers and haters. Just the way it is. There are too many variables that affect how a tire behaves, functionality, preference, etc to blanket call a product good for all or bad for all.

    Even your comment for example... You say you find them loud, but I have tons of customers who rave about how smooth and quiet they are! Haha! Just like some people say they are slippery while others say they are the stickiest thing in the world. It just isn't as simple as that. Change the temps by 15 degrees, or put them on a heavier vehicle or a lighter vehicle, aggressive driver, passive driver, FWD versus RWD versus AWD let alone accounting for the traction bias, road construction material, etc etc etc... All these things, and way more, have radical effects on how a specific tire performs in any given situation.
    This is the final winter for mine, iirc they were "okay" for noise when they were younger but they're loud now lol. 6/32 tread left.

  2. #622
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North North Dakota
    My Ride
    Mallfinder
    Posts
    332
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    I’m one to choose the cheapest winter tire that’s brand name - no Chinese stuff. Haven’t had an issue with slamming into things. Never bought the expensive Hakkas to compare with, but I’ve had good success with cheaper brands.

  3. #623
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles
    Posts
    466
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m one to choose the cheapest winter tire that’s brand name - no Chinese stuff. Haven’t had an issue with slamming into things. Never bought the expensive Hakkas to compare with, but I’ve had good success with cheaper brands.
    Most of the "Chinese" stuff is just the bigger brands with a different name and slightly less raw material

    Still going to be better than an all-season regardless

  4. #624
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North North Dakota
    My Ride
    Mallfinder
    Posts
    332
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most of the "Chinese" stuff is just the bigger brands with a different name and slightly less raw material

    Still going to be better than an all-season regardless
    Most fun I had was in an old manual Forester with Nokian WRG3s. Probably the best combo of traction and gutless powersliding, couldn't get into trouble because it wasn't fast enough to get there. I think the tires were worth more than the car at the time.
    Last edited by jutes; 01-09-2022 at 04:17 PM.

  5. #625
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,843
    Rep Power
    101

    Default

    I’m running Federal Himalaya WS2 on the Sentra. Guessing these are cheap ass Chinese tires? I mean they’re drivable in snow, but utterly useless with any ice, and downright dangerous at any meaningful speeds during this deep freeze. Been stuck a few times already just in parking lots, needed to back up and make a run to make it. I’m slowing everyone down at any lights where I need to stop.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  6. #626
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    335d, FRS
    Posts
    6,943
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m running Federal Himalaya WS2 on the Sentra. Guessing these are cheap ass Chinese tires? I mean they’re drivable in snow, but utterly useless with any ice, and downright dangerous at any meaningful speeds during this deep freeze. Been stuck a few times already just in parking lots, needed to back up and make a run to make it. I’m slowing everyone down at any lights where I need to stop.
    I have these with 2013 date codes on the rear axle of my FRS, they are fun but not very useful. Might also be because they are extremely camber worn and weather cracked…

  7. #627
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,856
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    The Federal Himalayas on my wife's odyssey don't have that issue. I blame a your Sentra's driver for the issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

  8. #628
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Calgary, Ab
    My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV
    Posts
    894
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    I never had any issue with the Federal Himalayas on the old Zonda. I bought them twice as I was so impressed.

    Im running Goodyear Winter command. Not impressed with them at all. Im wondering if its because am running them on 19's and the new zonda is fatter and heavier.
    Not sure what I'l do next time. Debating if I should drop to 18's and go with Federals again next time..

  9. #629
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles
    Posts
    466
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never had any issue with the Federal Himalayas on the old Zonda. I bought them twice as I was so impressed.

    Im running Goodyear Winter command. Not impressed with them at all. Im wondering if its because am running them on 19's and the new zonda is fatter and heavier.
    Not sure what I'l do next time. Debating if I should drop to 18's and go with Federals again next time..
    I'm gonna say its the 19s...I've run winter commands and found them to be one of my favourite winters ever...16" studded, FWD

  10. #630
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,296
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    I am on 3rd season with the same set of studded winter commands on our Ford Escape and they have been awesome for me! No issues what-so-ever... I love these tires! I do think they are one of the best bang for buck at their level for sure. I like them especially because I am getting extremely good wear and decent traction without having to give up extraordinarily at either end of that scale. Living out in Water Valley I need that balance of wear and milage.
    Last edited by tirebob; 01-10-2022 at 07:33 AM.

  11. #631
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    111R, DC2R, E61, W124, E36, FiST
    Posts
    2,156
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    First winter on Michelin X-ice North 4 Studded. Typically in the past i've ran Hakkas (8 and 9s) and i've really impressed with the Michelins. Similar if not better levels of ice/snow traction as the Hakkas without being as loud and way better in the dry.

  12. #632
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,843
    Rep Power
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Federal Himalayas on my wife's odyssey don't have that issue. I blame a your Sentra's driver for the issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never had any issue with the Federal Himalayas on the old Zonda. I bought them twice as I was so impressed.
    Like I said it's fine mostly, but during the deep freeze, in snow, in a FWD car, they are useless. Braking on ice? Forget about it.

    It was fine today now that it's warm and slushy haha. Mine aren't studded if that makes a difference. I'm told they're studdable.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  13. #633
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    4Runner
    Posts
    210
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I know this is a winter tire dedicated thread, but does anyone have any experience with Michellin Crossclimate 2's? Winters need replacing on my AWD DD by next year, would be nice not having to change tires every season.

  14. #634
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,631
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like I said it's fine mostly, but during the deep freeze, in snow, in a FWD car, they are useless. Braking on ice? Forget about it.

    It was fine today now that it's warm and slushy haha. Mine aren't studded if that makes a difference. I'm told they're studdable.
    Studded makes a massive difference.

    I'm on my third set of WS2's. I love them.

  15. #635
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    V8s
    Posts
    3,468
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mostwanted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know this is a winter tire dedicated thread, but does anyone have any experience with Michellin Crossclimate 2's? Winters need replacing on my AWD DD by next year, would be nice not having to change tires every season.
    Worse than a summer/all season when it's warm, and worse than a winter when it's cold. If you simply get two sets mounted on their dedicated wheels, it's <30min per car to change a set over, there's almost no reason not to go that route.

    IIRC, Bob said they're an okay tire, but not good if you like spirited driving - they are all squidgy feeling due to the tread block shape/size.
    Last edited by cjblair; 01-12-2022 at 08:55 AM.

  16. #636
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    ES Art Room
    My Ride
    #SadLife
    Posts
    2,696
    Rep Power
    85

    Default

    What's this?

    Screenshot_20220111-113534_Gallery.jpg

    Oh, weird. What are the odds of that? Well... 2 is bad luck anyways.
    Screenshot_20220111-113555_Gallery.jpg

  17. #637
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    DT 780
    My Ride
    LEXUS LX470
    Posts
    1,178
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mostwanted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know this is a winter tire dedicated thread, but does anyone have any experience with Michellin Crossclimate 2's? Winters need replacing on my AWD DD by next year, would be nice not having to change tires every season.
    Ive had really good success with toyo celsius as an all weather option on a range rover sport. Handles summer and winter conditions pretty good and no need for the second set of wheels.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

  18. #638
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Transnistria
    My Ride
    Exploded.
    Posts
    7,580
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    .
    Last edited by flipstah; 01-19-2022 at 04:34 PM.


    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The benefit of masks is not known at this time. But we do know it is some non-trivial amount more than zero.

    We also know that the cost of mask use is, essentially, zero.

    So the cost:benefit of mask use is approaching infinity. I'll take that every time. And every time I see someone without a mask, I think they are stupid.

  19. #639
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles
    Posts
    466
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    .
    Hear, hear!

  20. #640
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Transnistria
    My Ride
    Exploded.
    Posts
    7,580
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    Haha sorry! Kept flip flopping back and forth due to reading this page

    Getting the Continental IceContact Xtrm from @tirebob !


    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The benefit of masks is not known at this time. But we do know it is some non-trivial amount more than zero.

    We also know that the cost of mask use is, essentially, zero.

    So the cost:benefit of mask use is approaching infinity. I'll take that every time. And every time I see someone without a mask, I think they are stupid.

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2018/2019 Ski and Snowboard Thread

    By D'z Nutz in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 18
    Latest Threads: 09-27-2019, 12:13 PM
  2. OFFICIAL: 2018-2019 NHL thread

    By ganesh in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 386
    Latest Threads: 06-14-2019, 11:27 AM
  3. Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2018-2019 Edition

    By D'z Nutz in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 970
    Latest Threads: 04-23-2019, 09:32 AM
  4. FS: 2018-2019 Calgary Flames Season Tickets

    By locust in forum Event Tickets / Attraction Passes
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 06-15-2018, 10:29 AM
  5. FS: 2018-2019 Calgary Flames Season Tickets - Up to 20 Games

    By logi in forum Event Tickets / Attraction Passes
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 05-16-2018, 08:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •