Quantcast
2018-2019 Winter tire discussion - Page 19 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9 18 19 20 29 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-2019 Winter tire discussion

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The patriot, it's like a cobalt, but worse in every way.
    Caliber. It's pretty much a lifted Caliber

My Ride
    06 S2000

I was surprised at how much tire noise I'm getting in the cabin of the GTI these days. The stock tires were dead quiet, I threw the studded winters on last year, crazy loud. Swapped to some firehawks for summer, still crazy loud. I thought VW's were supposed to have some sort of sound dampening.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

The bain of every NVH engineer in the automotive industry.

Modern cars are so quiet, any new noise (especially a constant one) appears amplified and loud.

Don't get me wrong, studs are loud, but this is why studless tires were created. Stud noise doesn't bother me.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I feel like if tire noise is a problem for you, you bought a car with the wrong engine.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

New studs are LOUD, even on my lowly civic. They will definitely quiet down - esp in any kind of snow/precip.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

On my Infiniti with the Dumbflops runflat tires it came with from factory, theres sound deadening foam used inside the tire. First time I seen foam in a tire. Still a shitty tire. Then I started seeing foam inside tires on a Pirelli PZero Runflat with the new NCS technology used on a new E43 AMG
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    On my Infiniti with the Dumbflops runflat tires it came with from factory, theres sound deadening foam used inside the tire. First time I seen foam in a tire. Still a shitty tire. Then I started seeing foam inside tires on a Pirelli PZero Runflat with the new NCS technology used on a new E43 AMG
    They use the foam in some of the tires for EV cars like the Michelin MXM4.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    The patriot, it's like a cobalt, but worse in every way.
    A Jeep Patriot is closely rivaled by a three-wheeled skateboard. In every way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Got two new sets of studded winters yesterday. Wholly fuck is it loud in my wife's POS Patriot. I had them on my both my 4runner and my Avalanche and the noise was negligible, in this thing though, Jesus Christ.

No wonder a lot of people think studs are too loud. If you have a vehicle that has a lot of tire noise to begin with, it will definitely be an annoyance.

So in other words, only get studs if you have a quality vehicle.

Edit: Unrelated, but very disappointed you aren't in the shop anymore Bob. I wanted to see your beardless face in person, lol.
    Sound deadening is your friend for sure with studs... lol! They should settle down a bit as you roll on for a while... Hopefully lol

Come out to Water Valley one day man!

Anyone tried the Toyo Observe GSI-6’s? Seems to be great price and the few online reviews i could find seems solid. Just wanted to get some feedback, planning to pick them up early next week.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Ugh my wifes non-studded, new winter tires are no fun on her Mazda3 in the snow - E brake turns are difficult whereas with my former Continental extremewintercontacts on my civic I could skate around all day.

On the plus side, the ABS sensor for one wheel went and its interesting to slide around a little bit as the whole system is off.

Are the folks at Urban X on Horton SW still considered to be good? Searched around and last review was like 2+ years ago so just wanted to get an updated review

Thanks in advance!

I called there a few times to get tires on my truck, left a few messages and no reply so I went to Bob at Urban X instead even though I live in the south end of the city. I’ve known Jordan since high school too so I tried to give him business, not sure what is going on, I hope they stay open.

Edit: They have recent google reviews so they are open, probably extremely busy.
    Last edited by Clever; 11-11-2020 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hata View Post
    Are the folks at Urban X on Horton SW still considered to be good? Searched around and last review was like 2+ years ago so just wanted to get an updated review

Thanks in advance!
    I used them once a few years ago and they were fine. They had the best price at the time. Can't comment on them this year though - hopefully they're just super busy but that's not really an excuse not to return calls.

This year I went through Bob @ Urban North and it was an excellent experience as well, he squeezed me in back in October when we had that week of crappy weather.

The boys are open for sure, and like us have quite a big customer base so they get super busy. Keep trying! They are good guys...

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Its redonkulous season....I was on hold with Kal Tire for 1 hour trying to get a quote on some Hakkas for a customer and you cant even reach the store location...its the call center.....but even if super busy, should still be returning customers voice mails. Thats a lost income opportunity if no call back and they go elsewhere
    Last edited by dj_rice; 11-11-2020 at 11:39 AM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

You guys have to realize that putting on winter tires wasn't very popular until a few years ago. My parents-in-laws thought they were useless too until I convinced them to put some on after my first kid was born.

"Hey it's like driving in summer!"

There was someone in my community that asked for help on the FB group with their suv because they couldn't get up their hill... One of his neighbours told him how he got up easily in his car because of his winter tires... That just started a whole "winter tires are a ripoff discussion"
    Last edited by suntan; 11-11-2020 at 12:21 PM.

I started calling Urban Horton early Sept. to set something up, so it was not as busy then. I eventually gave up and got tires from Bob early October. So not sure what is going on at Urban Horton but I’m going North from now on, Bob and his team are great and the brewery across the street is pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hata View Post

Thanks in advance!

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Just wanted to give a quick update. I got winter tires from Jordan and his team at Urban Horton a few days ago. Awesome friendly service!

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Have any of you guys tried out the new X-Ice Snows or Vikings 7's?
    Looking for a new set for my parents vehicle and those are the two I've narrowed down to for a studless ice/snow tire.

I'm a XI3 fan so I'm personally leaning towards the Snow but the Vikings are a bit more budget friendly. Opinions/thoughts would be appreciated.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9 18 19 20 29 ... LastLast