Quantcast
2018-2019 Winter tire discussion - Page 32 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: 2018-2019 Winter tire discussion

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man, no point in trying to break down stuff like this, truthfully. People will disagree with you just as you will disagree with them. I can line up 10 guys and let them test 10 different tires and every single one of those tires will have lovers and haters. Just the way it is. There are too many variables that affect how a tire behaves, functionality, preference, etc to blanket call a product good for all or bad for all.

Even your comment for example... You say you find them loud, but I have tons of customers who rave about how smooth and quiet they are! Haha! Just like some people say they are slippery while others say they are the stickiest thing in the world. It just isn't as simple as that. Change the temps by 15 degrees, or put them on a heavier vehicle or a lighter vehicle, aggressive driver, passive driver, FWD versus RWD versus AWD let alone accounting for the traction bias, road construction material, etc etc etc... All these things, and way more, have radical effects on how a specific tire performs in any given situation.
    This is the final winter for mine, iirc they were "okay" for noise when they were younger but they're loud now lol. 6/32 tread left.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

I’m one to choose the cheapest winter tire that’s brand name - no Chinese stuff. Haven’t had an issue with slamming into things. Never bought the expensive Hakkas to compare with, but I’ve had good success with cheaper brands.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    I’m one to choose the cheapest winter tire that’s brand name - no Chinese stuff. Haven’t had an issue with slamming into things. Never bought the expensive Hakkas to compare with, but I’ve had good success with cheaper brands.
    Most of the "Chinese" stuff is just the bigger brands with a different name and slightly less raw material

Still going to be better than an all-season regardless

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post
    Most of the "Chinese" stuff is just the bigger brands with a different name and slightly less raw material

Still going to be better than an all-season regardless
    Most fun I had was in an old manual Forester with Nokian WRG3s. Probably the best combo of traction and gutless powersliding, couldn't get into trouble because it wasn't fast enough to get there. I think the tires were worth more than the car at the time.
    Last edited by jutes; 01-09-2022 at 04:17 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I’m running Federal Himalaya WS2 on the Sentra. Guessing these are cheap ass Chinese tires? I mean they’re drivable in snow, but utterly useless with any ice, and downright dangerous at any meaningful speeds during this deep freeze. Been stuck a few times already just in parking lots, needed to back up and make a run to make it. I’m slowing everyone down at any lights where I need to stop.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I’m running Federal Himalaya WS2 on the Sentra. Guessing these are cheap ass Chinese tires? I mean they’re drivable in snow, but utterly useless with any ice, and downright dangerous at any meaningful speeds during this deep freeze. Been stuck a few times already just in parking lots, needed to back up and make a run to make it. I’m slowing everyone down at any lights where I need to stop.
    I have these with 2013 date codes on the rear axle of my FRS, they are fun but not very useful. Might also be because they are extremely camber worn and weather cracked…

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The Federal Himalayas on my wife's odyssey don't have that issue. I blame a your Sentra's driver for the issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I never had any issue with the Federal Himalayas on the old Zonda. I bought them twice as I was so impressed.

Im running Goodyear Winter command. Not impressed with them at all. Im wondering if its because am running them on 19's and the new zonda is fatter and heavier.
    Not sure what I'l do next time. Debating if I should drop to 18's and go with Federals again next time..

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    I never had any issue with the Federal Himalayas on the old Zonda. I bought them twice as I was so impressed.

Im running Goodyear Winter command. Not impressed with them at all. Im wondering if its because am running them on 19's and the new zonda is fatter and heavier.
    Not sure what I'l do next time. Debating if I should drop to 18's and go with Federals again next time..
    I'm gonna say its the 19s...I've run winter commands and found them to be one of my favourite winters ever...16" studded, FWD

I am on 3rd season with the same set of studded winter commands on our Ford Escape and they have been awesome for me! No issues what-so-ever... I love these tires! I do think they are one of the best bang for buck at their level for sure. I like them especially because I am getting extremely good wear and decent traction without having to give up extraordinarily at either end of that scale. Living out in Water Valley I need that balance of wear and milage.
    Last edited by tirebob; 01-10-2022 at 07:33 AM.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

First winter on Michelin X-ice North 4 Studded. Typically in the past i've ran Hakkas (8 and 9s) and i've really impressed with the Michelins. Similar if not better levels of ice/snow traction as the Hakkas without being as loud and way better in the dry.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    The Federal Himalayas on my wife's odyssey don't have that issue. I blame a your Sentra's driver for the issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Like I said it's fine mostly, but during the deep freeze, in snow, in a FWD car, they are useless. Braking on ice? Forget about it.

It was fine today now that it's warm and slushy haha. Mine aren't studded if that makes a difference. I'm told they're studdable.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    4Runner

I know this is a winter tire dedicated thread, but does anyone have any experience with Michellin Crossclimate 2's? Winters need replacing on my AWD DD by next year, would be nice not having to change tires every season.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Like I said it's fine mostly, but during the deep freeze, in snow, in a FWD car, they are useless. Braking on ice? Forget about it.

It was fine today now that it's warm and slushy haha. Mine aren't studded if that makes a difference. I'm told they're studdable.
    Studded makes a massive difference.

I'm on my third set of WS2's. I love them.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Mostwanted View Post
    I know this is a winter tire dedicated thread, but does anyone have any experience with Michellin Crossclimate 2's? Winters need replacing on my AWD DD by next year, would be nice not having to change tires every season.
    Worse than a summer/all season when it's warm, and worse than a winter when it's cold. If you simply get two sets mounted on their dedicated wheels, it's <30min per car to change a set over, there's almost no reason not to go that route.

IIRC, Bob said they're an okay tire, but not good if you like spirited driving - they are all squidgy feeling due to the tread block shape/size.
    Last edited by bjstare; 01-12-2022 at 08:55 AM.

My Ride
    *The First*

What's this?

Name:  Screenshot_20220111-113534_Gallery.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  230.0 KB

Oh, weird. What are the odds of that? Well... 2 is bad luck anyways.
    Name:  Screenshot_20220111-113555_Gallery.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  273.6 KB

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Quote Originally Posted by Mostwanted View Post
    Ive had really good success with toyo celsius as an all weather option on a range rover sport. Handles summer and winter conditions pretty good and no need for the second set of wheels.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Exploded.

Last edited by flipstah; 01-19-2022 at 04:34 PM.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Hear, hear!

My Ride
    Exploded.

Haha sorry! Kept flip flopping back and forth due to reading this page

Getting the Continental IceContact Xtrm from @tirebob !

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 LastLast