Default Corporal punishment to become norm at Georgia school

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45490196
    Quote Originally Posted by BBC News
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    .Georgia school to paddle students as punishment
    Name:  85c.png
Views: 290
Size:  305.2 KB

I know a lot of grumpy old fuckers probably think "kids these days" lack discipline, but this really surprises me. Not even sure this would be legal in Canada, no matter what permission parents gave. Opinions?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Would be really interesting to see the demographic of that school. Ethnicity, income of parents, single parents, religion of the students in that particular area.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

I'm all for it....if parents aren't paddlin' the kids...someone has to hahahaha...

At the same time, I am sure these parents beat their children, if they are allowing someone else to haha...I can remember a few occasions (joking or not) my Father gave my care givers and teachers free reign to whoop me hahaha...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

There are some kids that only respond to a good smack. There are also some kids that you could beat black and blue and they'd still be shitheads.

I don't agree with BEATING children, but there is certainly an argument to be made for a swat, smack, or spanking.

If anything, its almost an embarassment. Do it in front of the class, have the idiot get laughed at by everyone.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 02:40 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

Send the kid to a boot camp.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Would be really interesting to see the demographic of that school. Ethnicity, income of parents, single parents, religion of the students in that particular area.
    Well, it's Georgia, so I'm gonna guess... white, poor, probably, christian/baptist.

Makes sense that it's still 1950 there.

Mixed feelings regarding this. I firmly believe that the lack of discipline in schools is a significant cause of a general lack of respect for one another at a later age. Kids have far less respect for teachers, law enforcement, etc, then when I was in school. That said I don't necessarily think that smacking them around is the best course of action either.

I was put in a French immersion program when I started school, late 1970s. Corporal punishment was a daily occurrence then and there. I'll describe this in a couple paragraphs. The teachers were frequently nuns, or French teachers from Quebec that enjoyed being cruel to all of us English students in Central/Western Canada. Our punishments for the smallest infractions would be to sit on our legs/knees in our desk doing the rosary (even if you weren't Catholic, I had no idea wtf I was doing with it), until we broke and cried in front of our peers. Or, stand in front of the class with arms outstreched with large bibles on each hand, again, until we cried in front of our class. Or, if we spoke when we wern't allowed (all the time), we could have our mouths wrapped 10+ times around with thick duct like tape - one friend nearly died as the overzealous teacher caught his nose as well on one furious pass and he turned blue, she then pulled out tons of his hair unwrapping it in equal fury. Thrown chalk hit several kids in the eye. One girl had to get stitches in her arm from the teacher digging her nails/claws into her arm so deep she bled her white shirt red. This is just a small, small sample of what went on back then, and it never stopped until my parents finally realized what was happening (others too), and put me into "normal" English only school (best day ever that news was for me at that age). I can remember teachers furiously chasing students around the classroom as they fled in terror, while the rest of us banged our desks and cheered on whoever we felt like, teacher or student. We could frequently be forced to chant in unison "je suis calme" for an entire period/hour. Just insane things.

In the end it wasn't all that terrible for me, my father was a cop and the teachers knew it, and had a reputuation for being pretty crazy as well, so i got a pass most of the time, but not all of it, and had to do the punish until cry thing a few times myself over the years. I also nearly got the strap once. A girl at recess stepped on my hands intentionally when I was on some climbing apparatus or other. I yelled out 'son of a bitch". She ran inside claiming I called her a bitch. The principal made me kiss her in front of him for that, and then cracked the strap across the desk by my head to show me how serious he was. These days that would probably = him in prison, back then, even though it ended up being the last straw (led to me moving schools thank go) and it was investigated from another dept than my father's due to conflict of interest, the principal wasn't charged, even though he fully admitted my odd (and illegal punishment). Did I mention I had to pull my pants down in front of this girl, standing there in my underwear ready for the strap on the butt from this nut, and had to kiss her in the same condition? Ya.

So, I'm of two minds about corporal punishment in schools. I have a great dislike for kids having less discipline and respect these days, but I also wouldn't want kids to return to the type of experience I and my classmates had for 8 years.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

I went to Elementary and Junior High with a lot of Korean kids, naturally I was good friends with a lot of them. Two families had fled North Korea, made it to South Korea and then immediately moved here. They arrived at my Elementary school in grade 5. I'll always remember the first day of class with them because another kid in our class spoke to the teacher without raising his hand. The teacher responded and class continued. One of them raised their eyebrows and whispered to me asking why the teacher didn't smash the kids fingers with a meter stick. They got straight A's, never spoke in class unless spoken to, 100% model students.

I got smacked around all the time when I was a kid, through Elementary, Junior High and High School my teachers and coaches always told my parents that I was an absolute pleasure to have in class and a natural born leader. This is only going to help these kids, because if they're behaving bad enough that they felt the need to implement this, the they surely are not being disciplined at home.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Facebook meme post was relevant to thread:

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I’m all for this. I got a whoopin as a kid if I ever misbehaved, but I learned to straighten up. Don’t see the big deal here.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

It's all good so long as it's a controlled reaction and not some psychopath teacher who can't hold their own emotions in and goes too far with it.

I think the naivety of the supernintendo is hilarious though.

"There was a time where corporal punishment was kind of the norm in school and you didn't have the problems that you have," he added
    The world has changed a LOT since the 70's. Corporal punishment isn't going to fix the current problems, quite the opposite if you read any research about it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Corporal punishment isn't going to fix the current problems, quite the opposite if you read any research about it.
    You get out of here with that bullshit. Science is a false God and the truth path to progress is following the ways of our ancestors.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?