Quantcast
Does insurance cover your "extras/addons?" - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does insurance cover your "extras/addons?"

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fault is irrelevant. Whether it's your company paying you for your car or the other guy's company paying for your car, nothing changes. The vehicle is assessed at market value, not what you SPENT on the car. A $10,000 car, bought for $12,000 (cuz you're a sucker) plus $5,000 in aftermarket exhaust is still just a $10,000, MAYYYYBE $11,000 car on the open market and that's all you'll be paid on.
    Back when I was still a car guy modding cars, I had my completed project cars appraised and insured at the appraised value. Premiums were obviously higher for this. I never had to make a claim, but I assume if I did, I would be getting the appraised value back?

I had to provide the full appraisal booklet with photos of absolutely everything.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I’m pretty sure if you’re not at fault the entire point of any insurance (hell, even the basis of any lawsuit) is to make you whole again, you had a 1992 civic with a solid gold cock shaped shift knob, that’s what you get back!

It’s liability coverage, it’s up to a set amount. All losses will come out of it. ie. I was hit on the motorcycle a few years back, had on like $3k worth of shit that got ruined, it was as simple as showing (and then actually giving up) the adjuster the ruined pieces, and what it would cost me to order a replacement, that was it. Not “oh, sorry sir but you had on raw denim... we just cover basic pants... so here is $19.95 for some Walmart wranglers”

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Back when I was still a car guy modding cars, I had my completed project cars appraised and insured at the appraised value. Premiums were obviously higher for this. I never had to make a claim, but I assume if I did, I would be getting the appraised value back?

I had to provide the full appraisal booklet with photos of absolutely everything.
    Assuming the policy was set up correctly, yes. The entire point of submitting a proper appraisal is so that the vehicle is insured for the appraised amount and there's no arguing over the value.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Man, even without my extras they are trying to screw me hard on this one. They are using base model XFs with 50% extra mileage as "comparables". Clearly, that's not a comparable value. I complained to the appraiser of these discrepancies but he's sticking firm on his original offer and I have no idea how he can justify that.

Gonna have to work up the chain...

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

That's typically the way the game goes. They're not there to be your friend.

What's the car worth and what did they offer you?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    That's typically the way the game goes. They're not there to be your friend.

What's the car worth and what did they offer you?
    The last one had 55k but no adaptive cruise, and they gave me 25k. At 75k one year later I'm thinking 22k is fair. They are offering 16.5k which is what I could buy the "comparables" for but not a low k supercharged.

I know the game is to go back and forth but they arent even playing. They ignore me when I ask why they arent using legit comparables.

Find US versions for sale too. Use X-rates to apply CDN$ and keep arguing.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Find US versions for sale too. Use X-rates to apply CDN$ and keep arguing.
    They are claiming they can't use examples outside of the province.

(Which is amusing, considering that's exactly what they did for my first writeoff).

They are really trying every angle to NOT pay out on this one...

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    The last one had 55k but no adaptive cruise, and they gave me 25k. At 75k one year later I'm thinking 22k is fair. They are offering 16.5k which is what I could buy the "comparables" for but not a low k supercharged.

I know the game is to go back and forth but they arent even playing. They ignore me when I ask why they arent using legit comparables.
    Man, what a bunch of dinks. Hopefully you can move upwards and cut through all the bullshit.

When I had done research for my dad's Odyssey payout, I know that some people have unfortunately had to go through litigation to get a fair payout but I hope it's not that common.

Does the precedent of the previous vehicle payout help your current case or are they ignoring it?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Man, what a bunch of dinks. Hopefully you can move upwards and cut through all the bullshit.

When I had done research for my dad's Odyssey payout, I know that some people have unfortunately had to go through litigation to get a fair payout but I hope it's not that common.

Does the precedent of the previous vehicle payout help your current case or are they ignoring it?
    I bought it up, but they ignored it. To me, that is an obvious and completely relevant comparable. It is a year later (a year older) and has 20k more clicks. Simple. Apply whatever formula they have for age and mileage and bang - you have a fair offer based on this exact same prior scenario.

What I really need to do is get someone on the phone so they can't just ignore it.

Weird thing is (and Masked Bandit, correct me if I'm wrong) but since I was not at fault, I believe they will get compensated by the other guy's insurance anyway. Seems like a strange time to play hardball with me when it really doesn't make any significant difference to them.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Weird thing is (and Masked Bandit, correct me if I'm wrong) but since I was not at fault, I believe they will get compensated by the other guy's insurance anyway. Seems like a strange time to play hardball with me when it really doesn't make any significant difference to them.
    Not exactly. Yes in the end the other insurance company will cover all costs but the payout amount your company gives you needs to be justified to the other insurance company when everything settles. Your insurance company will need to provide documentation to support the number they came up with. Has your broker had a chance to review with the adjuster?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    That's pretty sketchy making it less safe in non-obvious ways for personal profit.
    Isn't the only sketchy part the guy who is trying to sell it now? The insurance company had the option to inspect and refuse loweg's car based on his swap-outs, no?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Isn't the only sketchy part the guy who is trying to sell it now? The insurance company had the option to inspect and refuse loweg's car based on his swap-outs, no?
    Both parts seem sketchy to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Both parts seem sketchy to me.
    I guess, but if his description of his interaction with the insurance company was accurate, they essentially gave him free reign to take whatever he wanted as long as he left something in it's place. I doubt they told him it had to meet certain safety standards, pass an inspection, etc. so at that point I'd assume they were just going to sell it to a wrecker or something, not sell it to another person. In my mind anyway, it's FAR more sketchy that the insurance company sold that car to someone else (unless it was sold for parts or something), and then that person turned around and tried to sell it again. Buyer beware I guess.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    Not exactly. Yes in the end the other insurance company will cover all costs but the payout amount your company gives you needs to be justified to the other insurance company when everything settles. Your insurance company will need to provide documentation to support the number they came up with. Has your broker had a chance to review with the adjuster?
    I'm dealing directly with the adjuster. Might have been a mistake not getting the broker involved from the beginning. Seems like nobody is reviewing anything, really. They are just throwing around arbitrary numbers. I asked yesterday to speak to the adjustors manager but no response today.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you have a broker, you can still get them involved.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I guess, but if his description of his interaction with the insurance company was accurate, they essentially gave him free reign to take whatever he wanted as long as he left something in it's place. I doubt they told him it had to meet certain safety standards, pass an inspection, etc. so at that point I'd assume they were just going to sell it to a wrecker or something, not sell it to another person. In my mind anyway, it's FAR more sketchy that the insurance company sold that car to someone else (unless it was sold for parts or something), and then that person turned around and tried to sell it again. Buyer beware I guess.
    Precisely. They get sold at auction and have to be savage inspected to be back on the road. No harm no fouls.

Ps: extraslow, aren’t you the guy who I sold some racking to at 1/4 of the price of retail, then came and picked it up and told me I was lucky you didn’t pretend to “not have enough money?” Then bragged about that being your regular Kijiji scam? That seems shady to me bro? Glass houses much ?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by loweg View Post
    Ps: extraslow, aren’t you the guy who I sold some racking to at 1/4 of the price of retail, then came and picked it up and told me I was lucky you didn’t pretend to “not have enough money?” Then bragged about that being your regular Kijiji scam? That seems shady to me bro? Glass houses much ?
    I think you remember our conversation differently than I do. I mentioned it's "a" common kijiji scam. I don't do it. That racking has been great though, it was a good value, and suits my needs well.

I'm dealing directly with the adjuster. Might have been a mistake not getting the broker involved from the beginning. Seems like nobody is reviewing anything, really. They are just throwing around arbitrary numbers. I asked yesterday to speak to the adjustors manager but no response today.
    I’ve dealt a few times with these situations and have noticed the older your file is on their desk. The easier they tend to be to work with ? Right now they’re dealing with hail claims galore. If you can offord to give it some time .

Also, Just had some damage from hail to a jdm and they pulled an international report for value as it’s probably the only one in North America so they definitely can

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

If you have a broker, you can still get them involved.
    Tried. They told me that they arent interested in helping me with value issues and that theyre only there to facilitate the claim to the insurer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast