Quantcast
Pit bull attacks owner and toddler, owner dies - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Pit bull attacks owner and toddler, owner dies

My Ride
    Silverado

Some anecdotal evidence.

Our dog was adopted at 6 months and we were told she was a pitbull mastiff mix.

Turns out she is a ridgeback boerboel cross. So is basically a mastiff hound mix that was misidentified as a pitbull. Many shelters in NA would have destroyed her for what she appeared to be.

She is a good dog. We have a 5 month old. We have never left them alone together or left an opportunity where they can interact unsupervised. 5 month old already likes to touch the dogs face. Dog likes to receive the attention but doesn't lick because it's trained not to.

Edit. Jesus if you google image the breed it looks quite intimidating. But not a pitbull. What's the line. Pitbull is such a generic term.Name:  20180912_081919.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  57.2 KB
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 09-18-2018 at 08:12 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

I'm sure humans do more damage to kids than dogs will.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure humans do more damage to kids than dogs will.
    Probably but in the majority of dog attacks, there is one very common denominator-small children. They are also most frequently the victims of fatal dog attacks.

[url]

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by bignerd View Post
    Probably but in the majority of dog attacks, there is one very common denominator-small children. They are also most frequently the victims of fatal dog attacks.
    And the common denominator of fatal dog attacks are pitbulls.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by 95EagleAWD View Post
    I don't doubt that pitbulls are the leading bread for attacks resulting in fatalities but I definitely want to know what the level of effort goes into establishment. Pitbull seems to be a very generic term that applies to a lot of dogs

My Ride
    CBR 929

I thought this also but German Shepherds, Rottweilers and Huskies/Malamutes also rank up there pretty high. A lot of mixed breeds running in packs in remote northern towns and reservations (in Canada at least) too.

[url]

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Some anecdotal evidence.

Our dog was adopted at 6 months and we were told she was a pitbull mastiff mix.

Turns out she is a ridgeback boerboel cross. So is basically a mastiff hound mix that was misidentified as a pitbull. Many shelters in NA would have destroyed her for what she appeared to be.

She is a good dog. We have a 5 month old. We have never left them alone together or left an opportunity where they can interact unsupervised. 5 month old already likes to touch the dogs face. Dog likes to receive the attention but doesn't lick because it's trained not to.
    Not quite the same but my kid rides my 75lb 'black lab' (we're not actually sure what she is, way too big and fluffy of a tail to be a black lab only) and my dog actually gets depressed when someone from our 'crew' is missing, sleeping outside my daughters room or on her bed when she is gone. Whining and looking at me like I did something to them. So much so that her tail turns into a propeller when she sees my daughter return. Only when there is something new in the house like visitors, another animal, if there are fireworks, etc do we feel the need to watch them close but we've never had even the hint of an issue. My daughter feeds our dog and has been taught to make her sit, laydown, tell her no, tell her drop it, and can release her. We're not idiots and let her hit the dog, pull, etc but I have more concern about my kid hurting my dog and than the other way around.

Biggest issue, no joke, is that my dog loves sticks and has no concept that she is now 6 feet wide running at 20km/h. So we do have to watch her once she gets a stick and anyone or anything breakable is around.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 09-19-2018 at 07:38 AM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

A lot of mixed breeds running in packs in remote northern towns and reservations (in Canada at least) too.
    In India the stray packs all fuck you up at night. They’re hungry and literally ready to hunt you down thinking you’re food. In the day, they’ll go after helpless kids. As a former dog owner, it was one of the most fucked up things I’ve ever seen and made me second guess the risks of dog ownership with kids around. Googling India dog attack gives you an idea of how often these happen there, with only the serious cases reported. Tons of videos of what I see almost daily there.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65801043.cms
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Well, they are still just animals, who follow the pack alphas lead. Too many people humanize them.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Well, they are still just animals, who follow the pack alphas lead. Too many people humanize them.
    It's funny watching people confuse dog behaviour with human style affection.

They're pack animals, so they will whine when the pack is not together. And you are their source of food on an ongoing basis.

Nobody's dog "loves" them in the way human love exists. Dogs are basically con-men, and so many pet owners get conned by a dog's behaviour.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    In India the stray packs all fuck you up at night. They’re hungry and literally ready to hunt you down thinking you’re food. In the day, they’ll go after helpless kids. As a former dog owner, it was one of the most fucked up things I’ve ever seen and made me second guess the risks of dog ownership with kids around. Googling India dog attack gives you an idea of how often these happen there, with only the serious cases reported. Tons of videos of what I see almost daily there.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65801043.cms
    That's terrifying. My doctor had an intern from Mexico City and said there is similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    It's funny watching people confuse dog behaviour with human style affection.

They're pack animals, so they will whine when the pack is not together. And you are their source of food on an ongoing basis.

Nobody's dog "loves" them in the way human love exists. Dogs are basically con-men, and so many pet owners get conned by a dog's behaviour.
    This I agree 100% with. I've watched people scream at their dog and I've more than once said to them "you know your dog doesn't speak English right?". Understanding that a dog is bred to be a people pleaser, in exchange for food and comfort, is very important. However that shouldn't diminish the relationship you can have with the animal. Confusing it for a human is and can be dangerous but to say just because it is an animal it can't be trusted is wrong in my opinion. We've evolved to co-exist with animals for generations. All the animals are the same, regardless if it is the barn cats, our dogs, the horses, etc. They are all selfish fuckers but they need you to survive and look to you for guidance. Some animals / dogs will just not step up and lead where as some dogs will actively challenge you for the alpha spot. The more the animal pushes, the more it needs a strong alpha and the more you need to watch it.

The trainer we hired was also a zoologist and trained bears, giraffes, and other big animals. One thing I'll never forget is how she said 'small dog syndrome' happens. You can't exactly go and pick up a bear if it is mis-behaving or a large dog but people do that with their little dogs all the time, because they can. It gives the animals a sense of fear. The techniques we used from her were hugely important and apparently comes a lot from the way zoo trainers work as well.

I should add, I have far form the best trained dog nor am I a dog trainer, she could always be better and we work on her. However the last concern we had was with her and food. It wasn't aggression with her food to people it was that she was a little thief and we were concerned it would get more brazen. We worked really hard on it over the course of 6-7 months. One day I came downstairs and my dog acted like she had a shit in the house. Super weird, agitated, and really wanted me to come and see. Turns out my daughter had left a completely unwrapped granola bar just outside her kennel. She never touched it but it sure bothered her. That was a huge win for us. We now can leave food on site tables, coffee tables, she'll get curious and smell but she wont get close.
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 09-19-2018 at 09:23 AM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    I don't doubt that pitbulls are the leading bread for attacks resulting in fatalities but I definitely want to know what the level of effort goes into establishment. Pitbull seems to be a very generic term that applies to a lot of dogs
    I thought this also but German Shepherds, Rottweilers and Huskies/Malamutes also rank up there pretty high. A lot of mixed breeds running in packs in remote northern towns and reservations (in Canada at least) too.
    I got it from this site, which is American, but should be similar since I figure we own the same kinda dogs, and get hurt by the same kinda dogs; the isolated north might be an exception, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a larger number people in Canada killed by Huskies just because of where they are, and the dogs around. Also, probably would imagine that a lot of the dogs that hurt people in isolated communities are strays, feral, etc...

If you're too lazy to click, from 2005 to 2017, dogs killed at least 433 people in the USA.

66% were pitbulls
    10% Rottweilers
    5% German Shepherd
    4% mutts
    4% Bulldogs
    3% Mastiff
    3$

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-st...-2005-2017.php

I got it from this site, which is American, but should be similar since I figure we own the same kinda dogs, and get hurt by the same kinda dogs; the isolated north might be an exception, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a larger number people in Canada killed by Huskies just because of where they are, and the dogs around. Also, probably would imagine that a lot of the dogs that hurt people in isolated communities are strays, feral, etc...

If you're too lazy to click, from 2005 to 2017, dogs killed at least 433 people in the USA.

66% were pitbulls
    10% Rottweilers
    5% German Shepherd
    4% mutts
    4% Bulldogs
    3% Mastiff
    3$

How many people were killed in total in the US during that time? 433 seems like a pretty small number over 13 years, but I could be wrong.
    How many lives were saved by dogs over that same period? Does that count at all or should it be disgrearded in this debate?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    How many people were killed in total in the US during that time? 433 seems like a pretty small number over 13 years, but I could be wrong.
    How many lives were saved by dogs over that same period? Does that count at all or should it be disgrearded in this debate?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Ban these vicious untameable beasts

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I could save so many lives with a concealed dog permit.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    Well way more. But that discussion goes about as well as this one lol

66% were pitbulls
    10% Rottweilers
    5% German Shepherd
    4% mutts
    4% Bulldogs
    3% Mastiff
    3$

https://adbadog.com/truth-behind-dogsbite-org/

stats include mutts...

I don't doubt where dogs attacking humans like in India and Mexico but what was the environment the animal was brought up in. In the end they are an animal and should be respected and handled like one. Can they be domesticated? Yes. Are they all killers? No.

Should the breeds be banned? No. That is like saying we can fight obesity by banning spoons
    Last edited by GQBalla; 09-19-2018 at 11:02 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Pitt bulls are regularly cited has one of the most dangerous dog breeds. Between 2005 and 2016, Pitt bull attacks led to 64.8 percent of all dog-related deaths. Over this decade, this type of dog caused 254 deaths.
    When a breed causes 2x more deaths than ALL other breeds.....

Still I don't think banning the breed is the answer. But there should be criminal charges to the owners for their dog's action. A death caused by dog should bring manslaughter charges to the owner.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    When a breed causes 2x more deaths than ALL other breeds.....
    There's just no reasoning with the apologists, they're like the dog owner version of "insert today's SJW topic here" haha
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast