Quantcast
Pit bull attacks owner and toddler, owner dies - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Pit bull attacks owner and toddler, owner dies

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Pit bull attacks owner and toddler, owner dies

Didn't see this posted anywhere and previous threads were very old.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-dog-1.4825775

Police said a woman was killed by her own dog Saturday evening in Rocky View County, just east of Calgary.

RCMP said the boxer-pitbull cross initially attacked a toddler, leaving her with serious but not life-threatening injuries, before turning on the woman.
    Does the breed matter? Who's to blame? Could any changes in laws prevent this? Should the general public care?
    Discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

It's not the dog's fault, they're a gentle loving breed. Misunderstood, maligned and marginalized by the media, it's no longer they eventually resort to violence.

Edit - forgot to add, she was no doubt just a shitty owner who didn't train her dog not to attack/murder. What a dumb cunt.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 09-17-2018 at 05:16 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    ute

Sucks to be you, lady.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

My Ride
    NC1

Get a dog that you can beat up and not the other way around? Is that a solution? (not sure if srs)

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Didn't see this posted anywhere and previous threads were very old.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-dog-1.4825775

Does the breed matter? Who's to blame? Could any changes in laws prevent this? Should the general public care?
    Discuss.
    Pitbull is NOT a breed.. it's a classification.

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Big dog registry, limited to 10 teeth, 8 hour course,and only used at the park for sport and recreation... Yup that will fix it

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 11:53 AM.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    Breed bans are stupid but so are some people, like those who keep dogs around children and then neglect both. It's ignorance combined with deliberate misinformation, e.g. there are rescue groups for many different breeds but one pit bull rescue group was recently found to be rehoming seized and surrendered American dogs in Canada without disclosing their history of biting. So there is a large effort to misrepresent the breed as well but in the end it's simple physics, regardless of breed: some dogs are physically capable of crushing bone, ripping a child's face off or killing an adult like it did in this case. Most owners know how to train/treat/supervise them accordingly but maybe there needs to be a special license or endorsement for certain sizes/breeds, just to help weed out the idiots?
    I don't really think breed bans are stupid... if pit-bulls weren't allowed, this person would be alive.

Can pitbulls be nice? Of course. They also have the ability to rip you to pieces if they want to, and they seem to have the temperament more than other dogs.

You don't really hear about golden retrievers killing their owners or kids very often. Isn't the point of a dog a friend?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Wow, you and I actually agree on something.

I liken it if someone tried to make the argument cats and lions are the same thing in regards to being family pets. They aren't.

Dogs just have a wider variety of mauling ability.

Should the conversation be limited to ONLY pitbulls? Nope. But pitbulls "can" be vicious.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Knowing and having lived with several large breeds (including pitbulls) I would say that there was a greater chance of the woman/family being whacked out - than the dog.

Probably something along the lines of a beaten/abused dog, than then was not very child friendly as a result.

If it killed an adult, it should have made short order of the toddler - which it knew enough not to.

My Ride
    CBR 929

I had assumed the dog bit the toddler first and the adult likely intervened to stop the attack at which point the dog redirected its aggression to the woman. I am surprised it did not kill the toddler after as that kid was likely screaming bloody murder after being bit and that dog would of been amped up.

As someone pointed out above, it is no coincidence that pitt bulls and bully breeds are repeatedly involved in serious maulings and other equally large and strong breeds are not. These breeds are not the only ones out there to have fucking idiots for owners, they are not the only abused dogs or the ones who receive inadequate training. But they are some of the only breeds that have been specifically bred for generations, sometimes hundreds of years for their aggression, their strong will, their unwillingness to back down, their strength and size. How do you overcome a dogs nature that has been instilled in it for that long, that is its entire purpose for existing (the breeds originally bred to fight and protect) and then say it is not a breed related problem? Obviously there will be exceptions to every rule, and most bully breeds are not killing their owners, but there is a trend that cannot be ignored.

Do I think breed bans are fair? No. Should some breeds require extra training to own? Perhaps.

[url]

I don't really think breed bans are stupid... if pit-bulls weren't allowed, this person would be alive.

Can pitbulls be nice? Of course. They also have the ability to rip you to pieces if they want to, and they seem to have the temperament more than other dogs.

You don't really hear about golden retrievers killing their owners or kids very often. Isn't the point of a dog a friend?

This is the ignorant answer we need to move away from. In your definition what is a "Pit-Bull"? Yes if you choose to group any vicious dog into a "Pit bull" you may get some gross stats that show this "breed" is dangerous. But if you use your brain, and maybe even google, you realize how silly you are. German Shepard's, Alaskan malamutes, and Bull Mastifs may fit your profile better.

It's like saying if we didn't have sports cars we wouldn't have high speed collisions. Should we move ahead and ban that "sports car" in your signature? By your association you must be a dangerous driver.
    Last edited by Mogg; 09-17-2018 at 10:48 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Mogg View Post
    It's like saying if we didn't have sports cars we wouldn't have high speed collisions. Should we move ahead and ban that "sports car" in your signature? By your association you must be a dangerous driver.
    I feel confident in saying a chihuahua, yorkie, or shitzu has basically never killed anyone (I'm sure its happened SOMEWHERE in the world, but nothing like the large breeds).

And yes, banning cars that can travel faster than 60km/h would indeed "prevent" high speed collisions. What an idiotic example to use.

Always find it humorous how wrapped up people get about their animals, like it somehow defines them. I wouldn't have a german shepard around little kids either.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    I feel confident in saying a chihuahua, yorkie, or shitzu has basically never killed anyone (I'm sure its happened SOMEWHERE in the world, but nothing like the large breeds).

And yes, banning cars that can travel faster than 60km/h would indeed "prevent" high speed collisions. What an idiotic example to use.

Always find it humorous how wrapped up people get about their animals, like it somehow defines them. I wouldn't have a german shepard around little kids either.
    No doubt that small breeds are some of the worst for biting, and it is ONLY their lack of size that prevents them from killing someone.

[url]

My Ride
    ute

Intent is meaningless. All that matters is outcome. or potential outcome.

My Ride
    Model S

Pit bulls have shitty owners more often, but even with perfect owners those things just snap and kill dogs or people. Happens way too often. +1 on banning them.

Heh, my neighbor had a couple of them and one day we just heard screaming coming from his place. Thought we should call the cops. Next day, one of them had a destroyed face. Still covered in scars a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    It's not the dog's fault, they're a gentle loving breed. Misunderstood, maligned and marginalized by the media, it's no longer they eventually resort to violence.

Edit - forgot to add, she was no doubt just a shitty owner who didn't train her dog not to attack/murder. What a dumb cunt.
    Haha, dog equivalent of “RIP, he was a chill guy”

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by 95EagleAWD View Post
    That's the same argument as no cars, no vehicle incidents.

Edit: Already noted above.
    Anyways, if people require a driver's license to prove they can drive (as broken as the system is), how about the dog license entails owner training?
    Last edited by jwslam; 09-18-2018 at 06:30 AM.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by bignerd View Post
    No doubt that small breeds are some of the worst for biting, and it is ONLY their lack of size that prevents them from killing someone.
    And also the fact that for small dogs, biting is their ONLY defense. They don’t intimidate anything.

My golden retriever doesn’t need to bite. She’s a big dog, and she knows that. And I’m fully aware that she has the physical strength to do serious damage if she wanted to.

EDIT: Stats from the states, fatal dog bites over a 13-year period.

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-st...-2005-2017.php
    Last edited by 95EagleAWD; 09-18-2018 at 07:19 AM.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Mogg View Post
    This is the ignorant answer we need to move away from. In your definition what is a "Pit-Bull"? Yes if you choose to group any vicious dog into a "Pit bull" you may get some gross stats that show this "breed" is dangerous. But if you use your brain, and maybe even google, you realize how silly you are. German Shepard's, Alaskan malamutes, and Bull Mastifs may fit your profile better.

Shepards, Malumutes, and Huskies definitely all fit that description too, and they can be dangerous. My brother got rid of their Husky mutt when they had a kid because he didn't respond well to the baby. How would you ever know that's how it's gonna be until you have both in the same house? You don't. But I sure wouldn't let a Shepard near a toddler either.

It's idiotic (to a point) to compare an animal with a machine. I'd agree with you if suddenly your sports car decided, on it's own, NOPE WE'RE NOT DOING THE SPEED LIMIT TODAY, WE'RE DRIVING 200 KMH TO WORK and you had no say in it. Because that's the equivalent.

But to humour you, you're absolutely right. When I was younger, dumber, and less experienced, and still owned a sports car, I WAS a dangerous driver. I sped, street raced, passed people on the shoulder, drove 200 km/h on the whitemud, 300 km/h on a motorcycle, etc... I grew out of that, thankfully without hurting anyone, and more selfishly, without hurting myself. I imagine a lot of people on this site had a very similar 18-25 year old experience.

Agreed. Ban Pitbull.
    Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  48.2 KB

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast