Quantcast
Older SUVs: 4Runner vs Pathfinder vs QX4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Older SUVs: 4Runner vs Pathfinder vs QX4

My Ride
    E46 M3

Question Older SUVs: 4Runner vs Pathfinder vs QX4

Looking to move into a mid size SUV for long distance winter driving. I don’t plan to go off-roading but might have to go through snow in the countryside. Deciding between the 3rd Gen 4Runner, 2nd Gen Pathfinder and the QX4.

The 4Runner seems to be the most popular, with the price tags to match. I find the pathfinder and QX4 to be cheaper to buy. But not sure about maintenance or parts (inluding mods)

Anybody own or know more about these trucks? Leaning more towards the QX4 since I won’t do off-roading and it’s basically a luxury version of the Pathfinder. Thoughts?

My Ride
    4Runner

Had the 1999 4Runner for about 2 years used it mainly on highway roads driving in and out of work from Calgary to the Lloyd. Maintenance is very easy, oil changes are even easier if its lifted.

Gas is just plain horrible! I replaced every fluid, spark plugs, filters etc. I even seafoamed it 1 bottle spring time and before winter, 50L tank of regular gas i was getting 300-330km on the highways, thats without going over 120km/h and a/c

Keep in mind i had a Rola Roof Rack, front plate bumper and a lift and various other mods on it. Loved the thing but hated it on the highway, had to gas up regularly 2-3x per week depending on how much i neede to drive.

But Off-Roading it was simply the best, paired with studdeds in the winter i always felt really safe.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

In summary, gas is bad...when you lift it, add roof rack and bumper (probably larger tires..etc).

Everyone I know who has a 3rd gen 4Runner loves it, while ive seen a lot of guys fight with their pathfinders.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

I had a 2003 Pathfinder for 2 years. Drive train was bullet proof but the 4 speed trans was a bitch to deal with. Turning the 3.5L on the highway with that 4 speed ultimately lead me to sell it. Very comfortable and quiet.

If i drove less highway i would buy another. And way cheaper that the 4Runner's, Toyota guys over pay like crazy for 400,000km Runners with rust holes.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

QX4 would be no different than a Pathfinder with leather... other than cosmetic differences, in my opinion it's ugly as hell lol I'd stick to the Pathfinder, but as mentioned above, they are PIGS on gas and SLOW if you need the power on tap, like dangerously slow. Otherwise, bulletproof and reliable and super easy to work on and they don't command ridiculous premiums like the 4Runner.

My Ride
    V167

Pathfinder ftw

My Ride
    '91 MR2 Turbo + '13 Tacoma

Vote 4Runner although never owned a 3rd gen. Had a 2nd gen with 750k on it slow as a dog but obviously very reliable. Also had a 4th gen never gave us any issues sold at 280k. Why are you looking at a 3rd gen? Also whats your budget?

My Ride
    E46 M3

Quote Originally Posted by TRD_YOTA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Vote 4Runner although never owned a 3rd gen. Had a 2nd gen with 750k on it slow as a dog but obviously very reliable. Also had a 4th gen never gave us any issues sold at 280k. Why are you looking at a 3rd gen? Also whats your budget?
    I like the body style of the 3rd gen honestly and it fits my budget of $5000ish.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

I vote the 4Runner, never had an issues with mine but I was an active member of the forums and if you ever had any questions you would get an answer within hours on there

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I’ve had three 4Runners and one Pathfinder so I think those numbers speak for themselves.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I had a 98 4runnner which was great in stock form, unfortunately the 3.4 was known for head gasket issues in the 3rd gens and mine succumbed to it.

My Ride
    E46 M3

4Runner would be preferable, I like their look the best out of the 3. Only thing is they demand such a high premium. I've seen a lot of +300-400k km 4Runners for my price range while a similar priced Pathfinder/QX4 will be at 175k kms.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I had a 2002 Pathfinder LE for 12 years. I had no issues with it. Very reliable, great truck. Awesome in winter. Mind you, I bought it used with 76K on it and when I sold it, it had a tad over 200K. Maintained it religiously. I liked it. 3.5L engine. Bulletproof, good amount of power.

There is a big recall out on the Pathfinder and QX4 of all years starting from 1998-2004 regarding rust on the strut towers causing the steering rack to fall out/and or affect it and vehicles crashing. Theres 3 levels of this recall. If the rust is so bad and dangerous, they actually buy your car and pay you out market value. 2nd level is they spray a rust proofing spray on the affected areas if not bad. and 3rd level is they cut out the rusted parts, install new metal sections of it. So beware of this.

Wish I didn't sell it so I can drive it in winter. Let her go for dirt cheap to a friend $2200 w/ 205K on it

Only common things on those cars, blower motor regulator failing, causing you to have the fan on only one speed high. The bad was its gas mileage. Could only get 400-450KM out of a full tank.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

The bad was its gas mileage. Could only get 400-450KM out of a full tank.
    Was the milage Summer or Winter time..?

My Ride
    Bang Bus

I use to own a 99 4runner limited and kept it stock its whole life and was averaging 500kms on the highway going 120km/hr. Super bullet proof engine but i sold it this year with 350k for 4k

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was the milage Summer or Winter time..?
    Might of been both...
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

If you plan on doing a lot of winter highway driving in a 3rd gen 4Runner, get one with the multimode differential. It came on the 99-00 Limited and on all 01-02 models. With that diff you can run it in 4WD at highway speeds if the roads are particularly bad.

Out of all the vehicles I’ve owned (50+), the only one I truly regret getting rid of is my 3rd gen 4Runner.
    Last edited by mrsingh; 09-21-2018 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Spelling

My Ride
    E46 M3

Yeah, I'm sticking to exclusively 2001+ for the three options. Lots of good upgrades for those years on both platforms.

Next question is the comfort of unibody (Pathfinder/QX4) vs body on frame (4runner), is the comfort level that different?

2007 - 2009 hyundai santa fe is actually pretty decent right around that price range and the gas consumption is much better.

What's your budget? Early 3rd gen Pathfinders are pretty cheap. Ditto the Xterra.

E: saw you said 5k in another post. Still might be doable..
    dv/dt