Quantcast
Buying used A5 / A6 / Q50S - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Buying used A5 / A6 / Q50S

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Lots of love for the Q50, I've never driven one but from the reviews I've read they are a massive step back in terms of driving dynamics when compared to the G37... but like a couple people already said the A5 is basically a joke of a car in that aspect.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

As usual, what it comes down to is what you get for the money. Without any negotiating, I'm basically looking at the following:

2014 A5 S-line for $22k @ 210hp/258 ft-lb.
    2014 Q50S for $28k-30k @328hp / 269 ft-lb

I appreciate all of the responses as some of you place more emphasis on the performance, but I'm coming from a 2010 Honda Civic so they're all a step up.

Tough choice when every dollar counts. #paytoplay

If I can find a Q50S for low to mid 20's, I'd jump on it so I'll keep an eye out.

Several months ago there was a black 2011 A5 S-line with 38,500km's for $22.5k but I wasn't ready to buy at that time.

My Ride
    LNF

Have you considered a Cadillac ATS? Very nice car and depreciation will definitely help you out with your price range.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

This is just the fanboy in me but if reliability is a factor have you considered the Lexus IS? I'll be honest and say functionally it sucks but 300HP AWD and Toyota reliability.

I have a second gen 250 if you want to take that for a rip. Itll give you an idea of the handling. Third gen is much smoother though

My Ride
    V8s

FWIW, the Q50 probably puts out numbers not that much more than the 2.0T audi at our elevation since it's N/A. Definitely better than the civic, but it's not as far ahead of the audi as the numbers suggest.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have you considered a Cadillac ATS? Very nice car and depreciation will definitely help you out with your price range.
    I have looked at the CTS before out of curiousity but it's not really my jam haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    This is just the fanboy in me but if reliability is a factor have you considered the Lexus IS? I'll be honest and say functionally it sucks but 300HP AWD and Toyota reliability.

I have a second gen 250 if you want to take that for a rip. Itll give you an idea of the handling. Third gen is much smoother though
    Ah thanks for that man, I really appreciate it. In fact the IS was part of the shopping list but it didn't make the cut because I wanted something relatively uncommon, not that A5's are rare whatsoever.

Someone was getting rid of a 2014 IS350 with 43k km's for $27.5k. I was a bit too late as the seller already had a deposit from a buyer by the time I messaged him. That would have been a great pick up so props to whoever got the smoking deal.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    FWIW, the Q50 probably puts out numbers not that much more than the 2.0T audi at our elevation since it's N/A. Definitely better than the civic, but it's not as far ahead of the audi as the numbers suggest.
    The other factor was that the A5's torque is pretty on par with the Q50S so I couldn't see myself out-using the power especially on city roads.

It's just my luck that reliability is such a huge factor for me and I had to fall in love with the A5...I think just for my own sanity if I do get an A5 I'll have to get some sort of extended warranty unless you guys think I can escape unscathed if I look for one that's super low mileage like that 2014 with 35k km's. I read a bit more and it seems like some timing tensioner is a huge fix as well but unsure if this extends to the 2013+ models.
    Last edited by rx7boi; 09-21-2018 at 06:48 PM.

My Ride
    a wrx.

What I have done for warranty is call around for factory extended warranty. Factory warranty is important to me because I feel it helps resale and I like the dealer loaners. I called up a number of Audi dealers across the country getting price quotes and telling them what I was doing. Calgary's dealers wanted to charge nearly $2000 more than the deal I got from an out-of-province dealer. It's nice to give the local finance managers the big f-u, especially considering the amount of business I had given them over the years.

BTW, you can go for an A5, then get a piggyback tune like the JB tuner from burger motorsports, which ups the power a decent amount without shitting a TD1 on your factory extended warranty.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by GTS Jeff View Post
    What I have done for warranty is call around for factory extended warranty. Factory warranty is important to me because I feel it helps resale and I like the dealer loaners. I called up a number of Audi dealers across the country getting price quotes and telling them what I was doing. Calgary's dealers wanted to charge nearly $2000 more than the deal I got from an out-of-province dealer. It's nice to give the local finance managers the big f-u, especially considering the amount of business I had given them over the years.

BTW, you can go for an A5, then get a piggyback tune like the JB tuner from burger motorsports, which ups the power a decent amount without shitting a TD1 on your factory extended warranty.
    Awesome, thanks for the tip. So I could call Audi dealerships in Vancouver, etc and let them know I'm interested in getting an extended warranty and they'll quote me a price for a plan that's accessible Canada-wide?

I'll read up on the JB tuner mod as well. I was looking at APR tunes out of curiosity to see how much power these cars can make.

What vehicle were you getting a quote for and how much did YYC dealers want compared to others?

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by GTS Jeff View Post
    I've done that with my RX8 way back when. I posted on the RX8 forum asking if I should get extended warranty, and some mazda sales guy from a Toronto Mazda PM'd me saying he can offer me extended warranty for ~$500 off MSRP. Ended up talking to him over the phone and 2 weeks later got an official letter from Mazda Canada confirming my extended warranty status.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I've always liked the A5 design. I think it's an incredibly sharp looking car. Just keep in mind that it looks way sportier than it really is - especially if you have no intention on tuning it.

I'll comment that I like the A6 mainly because it is on my list as well. I need a sporty car with luxury but preferably with 4 doors. For you though, if you don't need the extra doors I don't think there's much of a point.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I test drove a 2012 Audi A6 3.0 this past weekend just to get a feel for the car. It was a non S-line which I'm guessing why it didn't have paddle shifters but overall the vehicle felt great since it has the same SC'd V6 that the S4's have.

I'd make an offer on the 2014 A5 but that $9500 claim is too hefty and seller couldn't provide any details on what the repair breakdown was since he's the 2nd owner.

Every Audi I've driven over the years with the older N/A V6, the 2.0T felt faster because it was torquier and does not pay the Calgary altitude penalty of ~15% power loss. Personally I found it more pleasant to drive but YMMV. And it's better on gas. And you can chip it for significant power gains if you wish - no such option with the N/A V6.

My dad has a 2016 A6 3.0T S-Line and that car is awesome. A 4.6 sec 0-60 time surprises a lot of people, and puts it in line with many cars you'd think would be faster. It has a bulletproof drivetrain, famously one of the best interiors in the business, and is just an all round great car. Biggest complaint is it does not rev-match paddle downshifts, but it uses that great ZF HP 8spd auto that is common in the segment. And those massage seats It can look old-man-ish though if not optioned properly, and it's pretty soft without the S-line.

If you see 2-doors on the A5 as a disadvantage, why not look for A4's? Literally the same car in a 4D. A4's aren't unreliable (especially if you get the 6MT and with the S4, 6MT and non-adjustable suspension) and I don't see how removing 2 doors would make it less so. As already mentioned multiple times though, the A5 sure does look good. I would want a chipped 2.0T or S5 though as it's a bit of a porker.

And yeah I would not touch a car with a $9500 claim without a detail from the bodyshop/dealer of exactly what was done. I rear ended someone in my 2006 S4 at less than 5 km/h (zero damage to other vehicle), and the repair bill was $11K ($5K of which were the headlight housings) - sent it to Maranello, the repair job was flawless and the new paint was better than factory. So it very much depends what was fixed, who fixed it, and how hard it was hit - if they can't tell you all of those things and prove it, definitely a hard pass. Nor would I ever buy a car from someone who doesn't keep any records and did zero due diligence themselves when they bought the car (i.e. they didn't obtain any details from the first owner) - tells you what kind of owner they probably are as well.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-25-2018 at 02:25 PM.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Hey Mark, I agree with getting those maintenance and repair records. The vehicle was originally in BC, took a $9500 collision hit, made its way to Manitoba where it got another $680 vandalism claim, and went back to BC.

The current owner said he bought it through a broker and couldn't get any details on the claims because of some "privacy act." The only thing he said was that Audi did an inspection and it passed SK safety which means very little since he couldn't produce those reports either.

Based on the carproof, he's owned the car since 31,500km and he's selling it now with 35,000km which tells me that it's likely a massive lemon.

The A4 is a great vehicle but I see too many of them on the road; it doesn't have anything to do with a 2-door behind a disadvantage as I like them all for a different reason. I just feel that the A5 is less common and looks better.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Hey Mark, I agree with getting those maintenance and repair records. The vehicle was originally in BC, took a $9500 collision hit, made its way to Manitoba where it got another $680 vandalism claim, and went back to BC.

The current owner said he bought it through a broker and couldn't get any details on the claims because of some "privacy act." The only thing he said was that Audi did an inspection and it passed SK safety which means very little since he couldn't produce those reports either.

Based on the carproof, he's owned the car since 31,500km and he's selling it now with 35,000km which tells me that it's likely a massive lemon.

The A4 is a great vehicle but I see too many of them on the road; it doesn't have anything to do with a 2-door behind a disadvantage as I like them all for a different reason. I just feel that the A5 is less common and looks better.
    Yeah a sale 3,500 KM after purchase is suspicious. I also just automatically think everyone is trying to screw me when buying something, especially used, so maybe I'm just jaded haha.

I agree the A5 looks amazing, that shape has aged really well too IMO. I think you did well by passing on that particular sample though.

My Ride
    2011 Audi A6 Avant

I've had a 2011 A6 3.0T S-Line for about 5 years now. At 150k, problems have been minimal. Some maintenance has been a bit pricey, things like having to take the supercharger off to change the thermostat. There is also a problem with that vintage of the 3.0T with undersized secondary air injection ports clogging, giving an emissions code and MIL. There is an emissions systems extended warranty on the Q7 & S4 3.0T but not the A6. After an inquiry to Audi Canada they are covering mine, which is nice since it is $2k+ for engine out to clean them.

Coming from a B7 S4, the ride is softer for sure. Highway trips don't beat you up. Brakes are meh in comparison. Power is there in sport mode, and as has been mentioned you don't pay the elevation penalty.

I've bought two Audis in a row with CPO warranties, never had a problem. This one I bought from a dealer in Montreal, there seems to be more A6s out there and prices are better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2