Quantcast
Pleading to a Registered Owner ticket? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pleading to a Registered Owner ticket?

My Ride
    Canyonero

Default Pleading to a Registered Owner ticket?

Are folks still having success seeing a Justice of the Peace on (or ahead of?) their court date for speeding tickets and pleading guilty to a Registered Owner ticket?

For the first time in close to a decade, I snagged a well deserved ticket this weekend for 22 over, written up as 15 over (so one less demerit and a lower fine). Since the Sheriff already cut me a break, I'm guessing the JoP will see that and I may have less luck getting a break.

The fine isn't a concern, but if there's a chance I can keep this off my record, I'd be willing to spend the time.

Thanks Beyond!

My Ride
    changes every year

I just got all my demerits dropped in return of paying the entire fine. Mind you it was in strathmore and the JoP did it seem to give a fuck about anything lol

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just got all my demerits dropped in return of paying the entire fine. Mind you it was in strathmore and the JoP did it seem to give a fuck about anything lol
    Doesn’t insurance only care about the conviction and not so much about demerits? If they do, wouldn’t you have been better off taking the demerits and a lesser fine?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Doesn’t insurance only care about the conviction and not so much about demerits? If they do, wouldn’t you have been better off taking the demerits and a lesser fine?
    This is a good question, what's everyone so concerned about demerits for? Back when I was younger I had so many demerits that I was close to losing my licence, but that doesn't sound like the concern here.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    If there are 0 demerits, it doesn't show up on the abstract.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If there are 0 demerits, it doesn't show up on the abstract.
    BINGO!!! If you can get the demerits removed in exchange for immediate payment of fine, do it!
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

To give you an idea of how much a ticket costs you in terms of insurance, I got fucked over by a beyonder this year who has been taking care of my tickets for me. I got a ticket about a year ago on Crowchild, cruising with everyone going 90 at the end of the month, and got singled out and ticketed. No big deal, it's typical road tax, cops doing their jobs. Ticket should've been easily 0 demerits full fine, but beyonder screwed up and didn't contest the ticket. Now I have a single ticket on record, a weak ass 2 demerit 10 over ticket that costs $130 or something stupid, and typical $150 price for someone to fix by dropping it to 0 demerits and full fine (for a total cost of ~$300).

With that ticket in my abstract, my auto insurance has gone up $160/year, which will stay that way for 3 years until it's off my abstract. That's $480 of additional premiums per car for the life of the ticket. I have 3 cars, each car went up that much, so yea, it will cost me $1440 + $130 (ticket), or nearly $1600 for a single ticket.

Always fight the ticket, even if you find someone (reliable) to do it. 0 demerits, full fine. It's annoying that insurance is tied to tickets, when tickets are primarily bullshit speed traps. I don't mind the road tax, the insurance tax for the road tax that will really cost you.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Just curious as I haven't been through the Calgary Court system for a long time now, but since when did they allow tickets with demerits to be reduced to 0 demerits? I thought it was always reduced to 2 max only?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Just curious as I haven't been through the Calgary Court system for a long time now, but since when did they allow tickets with demerits to be reduced to 0 demerits? I thought it was always reduced to 2 max only?
    It never went away, even though it was advertised as going away. I mean I don't get enough tickets to know for sure averaging 1 every 4 years, but I've heard from others that they've all been able to get it dropped to 0 demerits.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

To give you an idea of how much a ticket costs you in terms of insurance, I got fucked over by a beyonder this year who has been taking care of my tickets for me. I got a ticket about a year ago on Crowchild, cruising with everyone going 90 at the end of the month, and got singled out and ticketed. No big deal, it's typical road tax, cops doing their jobs. Ticket should've been easily 0 demerits full fine, but beyonder screwed up and didn't contest the ticket. Now I have a single ticket on record, a weak ass 2 demerit 10 over ticket that costs $130 or something stupid, and typical $150 price for someone to fix by dropping it to 0 demerits and full fine (for a total cost of ~$300).

With that ticket in my abstract, my auto insurance has gone up $160/year, which will stay that way for 3 years until it's off my abstract. That's $480 of additional premiums per car for the life of the ticket. I have 3 cars, each car went up that much, so yea, it will cost me $1440 + $130 (ticket), or nearly $1600 for a single ticket.

Always fight the ticket, even if you find someone (reliable) to do it. 0 demerits, full fine. It's annoying that insurance is tied to tickets, when tickets are primarily bullshit speed traps. I don't mind the road tax, the insurance tax for the road tax that will really cost you.
    Do you not use Bill? That guy never pulls my history!

I also though RO tickets were gone? There was a few years there where best offer was changing the ticket to a non-moving violation... are zero demerit offers back?!

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

It never went away, even though it was advertised as going away. I mean I don't get enough tickets to know for sure averaging 1 every 4 years, but I've heard from others that they've all been able to get it dropped to 0 demerits.
    Back in 2008-2009 or something, I posted about how I got a ticket with demerits moved to 0 demerits but I felt like I went through a bunch of loopholes to do so.

Found one my post here:
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/211...81#post2987781
    But then dexlargo's reply below it says it's not normal and I agree with him based on what happened to me.

Even back in 07-09, it was very rare for me to see a demerits ticket reduced to 0. Most of mine luckily got thrown out for cops no-showing.

But yeah, I guess it's probably something they can still do on the downlow somehow.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 09-24-2018 at 12:00 PM.

My Ride
    golfR

Pulled over and got a ticket for 30 over. Got it reduced to 0 demerits and almost full fine. This was 2 years ago.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Same. Got a ticket ~ 1.5 years ago for illegally turning into a the neighbourhood because it was before 9am. When I went to the crown it ended up being full fine 0 demerit.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Doesn't insurance usually let you get away with a ticket, or 2?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    Doesn't insurance usually let you get away with a ticket, or 2?
    You lose the max discounts even with a single ticket.

My Ride
    Canyonero

Thanks all, appreciate the fresh data points, and concur with Raj Deux, even a single ticket can bring your cost of insurance up. It feels like companies like TDMM that claim "first ticket forgiveness" charge enough of a premium versus cheaper outfits that they can absorb one conviction without upping your rates...

I should have looked more carefully at my ticket, looks like my court date is set in Didsbury, which figures given I was pulled over just north of Olds by an RCMP Sheriff.

Based on my search tour of Beyond and some circa 2009 threads, these small town courts are far less lenient. When I asked the sheriff where the court date would be (which he never answered), he strongly discouraged me from attending. lol.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    Thanks all, appreciate the fresh data points, and concur with Raj Deux, even a single ticket can bring your cost of insurance up. It feels like companies like TDMM that claim "first ticket forgiveness" charge enough of a premium versus cheaper outfits that they can absorb one conviction without upping your rates...

I should have looked more carefully at my ticket, looks like my court date is set in Didsbury, which figures given I was pulled over just north of Olds by an RCMP Sheriff.

Based on my search tour of Beyond and some circa 2009 threads, these small town courts are far less lenient. When I asked the sheriff where the court date would be (which he never answered), he strongly discouraged me from attending. lol.

Got a big one in Okotoks (34 over) ~10 years ago, was able to get it down to failure to obey traffic signal and 0 points. Those highway Sheriffs are dinks

Over 5 years ago I got a normal speeding ticket and paid a traffic lawyer to take care of it since I thought that was the only way to get 0 demerits off. They did their job but insurance still found out I got a conviction.

Couple months ago I got a speeding ticket and was able to pay the full fine and get 0 demerits talking to the crown. Thought it wasn't possible until a friend told me about it.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

My husband plead guilty to TSA 111 (?) which comes with 0 demerits end of Aug, he was facing 3. They also reduced the fine $6 ($233 vs $239).
    I've told him to pull his abstract just to be sure there is nothing.

My Ride
    NC1

lol such a scam in the name of safety

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast