Quantcast
Official Condo Board Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Condo Board Thread

My Ride
    Silverado

Default Official Condo Board Thread

I know there are a few other directors on this forum. Figured it would be good to have a thread to discuss challenges or contractors.

My Background.

4 years of board experience, mostly as treasurer. 94 unit townhouse complex. $300,000 yearly budget. Deep South location
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 09-27-2018 at 09:25 AM.

My Ride
    Silverado

What's everyone doing for the cannabis legalization? I have a few directors already wanting to ban it entirely. Personally, I would rather treat it like smoking - it's fine to use until it is a problem or a nuisance.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Are you thinking this is an appropriate thread for contractors to make contacts / post available services? Would that conflict with beyonds advertising rules?
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

Super long story... But one of my other businesses is a condo management firm lol.

I'm happy to pitch in assistance with this thread. Just tag me in it if/when needed.

Cannabis is a issue that we are attempting to navigate for our clients. Unless your bylaws specifically state no smoking on the Complex property, it is going to be nearly impossible to police. We went on the nuisance clause with the lawyers and essentially the response was... If it's medical, they're untouchable.

So, long and short of it will be that you need to check your bylaws. Additionally, the condo act will be Changing and there may be a smoking clause, there may not be. We've not seen it yet.

My Ride
    LNF

I have been on our condo board for just one year.

Our board emailed our lawyer who has been drafting a new version of bylaws for us. In our bylaws, we have stated that residents are not allowed to have hydroponic plants.

Also, we have had a few residents ask if we can do a property wide cannabis wide ban similar to BoardWalk. However, our lawyer recommended that we should not do that because he said that his office foresees future lawsuits related to a cannabis wide ban. So we decided to treat it similar to smoking on property and common property.

I was on the board of my condo for a while until I moved out due to the 12th ave bike lane.

48 unit building downtown.

The things that annoyed me the most were:

1) An extremely unresponsive management company (we went through 3, all bad). Nobody, especially a condo management company, is so busy they can't send a 30 second email. If I ignored simple requests for weeks in my job I'd be fired. As a board we would constantly ask them do to stuff an they just ignore or reply with wildly incompetent emails. If we didn't want to use their crappy trades or if we wanted to get 3 quotes before approving a job they would have a tantrum.

2) Other board members being WAY too lenient when people break the rules (barking dogs, parking stall abuse, dumping garbage, etc.) We're all adults and if someone is actively choosing to break rules after their warnings, they shouldn't get any more leniency IMO. It took FOREVER to punish anyone and thus all complaints and issues went on for months unresolved. It was horrible. You could do whatever you wanted there because everyone got 100 chances and it took literal weeks every time to issue a single warning letter (of which at least 3 had to be sent before 'action' was taken - that action being a completely insignificant fine or more warnings).

3) As soon as a few busybodies are on the board, and can outvote the normal/reasonable/rational people, you might as well leave unless you have veto power.

As for cannabis I think it will just fall under the smoking bylaws. The big thing with smoking that differentiates it from drinking or other similar activities is it can effect so many people around you. You can smell that stuff (same with cigarettes) literally hundreds of feet away, and it can drift into people's open windows, etc. The smell can take hours to get rid of. I remember the building next to us, people were allowed to smoke on their balconies and I absolutely hated it - if I left my window open at the wrong time my place smelled like an ash tray courtesy of someone in an entirely different building.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-01-2018 at 01:20 PM.

My Ride
    DA6, R59

cool idea, I've been on our condo board for about 5 years now and been through a lot. Largest being a $4mm special assessment for the entire exterior envelope, landscaping and interiors... As for Cannabis legalization, nothing concrete however I personally want to see it treated as smoking cigarettes.

Boardwalk does not have a property wide cannabis ban, medical cannabis use is allowed on a case by case basis - know this first hand because one of my sons and his GF rent at a Boardwalk complex and she has a medical cannabis exemption with them already.
    Will fuck off, again.

I own a small business that does Condo Document Reviews in Calgary - have been on multiple boards personally and have done many reviews of various buildings/complexes throughout the years, including a few in Canmore as well. Not seeing much being done about Cannabis yet in the bylaws but seeing the subject come up a lot in meeting minutes. General consensus seems to be to lump it in with Tobacco in the bylaws. The smell can create a nuisance but so can cooking certain foods - not sure how much can be done about it other than outright banning all smoking indoors (which still presents interesting enforcement challenges). And then people will just vape anyway.

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Boardwalk does not have a property wide cannabis ban, medical cannabis use is allowed on a case by case basis - know this first hand because one of my sons and his GF rent at a Boardwalk complex and she has a medical cannabis exemption with them already.
    They have property wide cannabis ban for non medical use.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ibit-1.4838498

I’ve talked to a couple lawyer friends and I think that’s going to be difficult to enforce and is not a ban that will stand over time. You can’t ban smells, what about people cooking cabbage? You can only enforce nuisances such as smells/sounds through warnings and fee schedules. Cannabis smell would fall under this in my opinion. Not to mention can you ban the use of edibles, vaporizers, etc? Obviously not. It’s the smell they are “banning” and frankly that’s not going to hold water when people start challenging it.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

What’s your guys thoughts on Emerald Property Management?
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    Silverado

I agree. The city bylaw refers to it as a smell and that smells are apart of community living.

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    What’s your guys thoughts on Emerald Property Management?
    No experience.

Generally, my experience has always come down to how good is the manager. Some suck. Some are great. I've never had issues with the other functions like accounting with any company

I'm on a few condo boards. What I've noticed is a big push for legal opinions by property managers to deal with the legalization of weed or non stop recommendations to update bylaws because of the legalization. IMO its way over blown.

People should be able to do what they want inside of the condo as long as it's not affecting other owners. Growing a plan or two in the condo isn't going to cause any issues. IMO someone smoking weed is as annoying as someone smoking a cigarette but to ban smoking completely is nearly impossible.

I've seen buildings burned down from cigarettes where the condo board couldn't get approval to ban smoking. I've had a small fire on the outside of one of my condos from a stupid cigarette. I just happened to be at the condo renovating it when it happened.

My biggest issue that I see right now are charge backs to idiot condo owners. If they cause a major flood they should be liable for it all but that's not always the case.

The new condo act has some good and bad changes in it as well.. the main issue is the insurance aspect when an owner causes a lot of damage a board WILL NOT be able to charge this back at all. To recoop the costs to the repair a condo board is forced to sue for damages adding a lot of time and costs to the board.
    Last edited by gwill; 10-08-2018 at 12:05 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

What? That's crazy. In my experience, the corporation has always charged the damage value back to a unit owner up to the cost of our deductible.

Our Corp has done this probably once a year. Having more difficulty reclaiming this is a big change.

Hopefully the courts are understanding and will include court costs in the settlements.

the new act is making it harder for boards to recoop. My one set of bylaws only allow us to collect up to whatever the deductible is on our insurance anything above must be paid by our board.

The new proposed act doesnt allow any charge back even if an owner is negligent. One of our lawyers drafted a letter for our board to distribute to owners that we could carpet bomb our mlas.

My Ride
    Silverado

Anyone have experience investing portions of the reserve fund?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Has anyone been on a board that discussed doing exterior upgrades? Our building is ~30 units from the 80's, boring brick and tan coloured siding. Trying to figure out how expensive it would be to paint brick and replace vinyl with modern stucco (have seen a few in Marda Loop and the results are great). Our building got 'lucky' a couple years ago with hail damage as the entire roof and siding were both covered by insurance so that's one major thing that shouldn't need replacing in awhile.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Has anyone been on a board that discussed doing exterior upgrades? Our building is ~30 units from the 80's, boring brick and tan coloured siding. Trying to figure out how expensive it would be to paint brick and replace vinyl with modern stucco (have seen a few in Marda Loop and the results are great). Our building got 'lucky' a couple years ago with hail damage as the entire roof and siding were both covered by insurance so that's one major thing that shouldn't need replacing in awhile.
    My old building is going forward with a massive envelope maintenance that before I moved out, we were getting quotes as high as $650K for (small 48 unit building built in 1999/2000). That was just for a stucco refurbishment, new paint, and some minor fixes (cracks, etc.) They haven't taken me off the board emails so I still follow along with everything haha. I know they did it fully as a special assessment. It was preventative too - didn't even need to be done.

I don't know what other materials there are but Stucco is VERY expensive even to repair/paint from what I have seen. I can't imagine what it costs to actually do the stucco.

My parents also just got their stucco painted on their house (1989 build) and while it was way more expensive than I would have imagined ($6500), it has a rubbery/plasticy texture to it (has a little give in it which probably helps with hail) and seems WAY more durable than their previous paint.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-15-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Anyone have experience investing portions of the reserve fund?
    Most tend to do GIC's because they want the funds to be safe. Losing your resereve or even portions of it in a shaky market doesnt tend to go over well with most owners.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    We just did one for a 22 unit complex. The bill came in at $390k

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast