Quantcast
Cable TV alternatives - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cable TV alternatives

Default Cable TV alternatives

Hi there Beyond, ive been contemplating the idea of cancelling my Shaw cable, currently paying 160 a month of course this includes Internet.
    Talked to my wife about it last night and she was really against it, there is a lot of stupid shows she watches, she records them and also watches them online through Shaw on demand.
    My only use for cable is sports, I like having HD and not having to look for a half decent streams on sites filled with pop ups.

So I am looking for recommendations on services or devices that would somewhat meet our needs, ive heard a lot about android boxes, rokus but not too familiar with any of them.
    I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Check out OTA HD as well. In most parts of town the reception is perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I cut cable a long time ago and should have done it way sooner. I think there might be some threads on this already but basically:

- Shaw 330Mbps internet ($80/mo) for all your wife's shows available within minutes
    - $10 antenna will get you 4-6 HD channels with uncompressed DD5.1 audio/video depending where you are in the city if you like the news or other local shows without downloading
    - Nvidia Shield it still by far the best Android box for Plex/Netflix/Amazon Prime Video/Casting/etc. It's also very future proof (4K60P HDR, HDMI 2.0, peripheral support, etc.) and has lots of games if you wish. It's also plays nice with DTS and can pass through uncompressed audio formats like DTS MA and Dolby TrueHD to your HT.
    - Cast Reddit streams from a Chrome tab to the Shield for all sports in good HD quality. Sports is the only thing that is slightly annoying to get, but even if you get NHL Game Center or something it's a lot cheaper than a year's cable bill.

Shaw BlueSky is pretty slick though, if you can get a great deal on it, it would be worth considering if you don't do a lot of other downloading and the on demand covers your needs. My parents have Shaw 330Mbps internet, several BlueSky terminals (free rental), the "medium" channel package and a home phone for I think $130/mo on a 2 year contract. If you download everything anyway though, there is little point to Bluesky unless the wife loves it.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-27-2018 at 09:34 AM.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

If your wife is against it... It's best to drop the issue haha. I do t know anything easier than just turning on the TV and watching stuff right there and then. I keep my TV on for background sound when working from home or just doing stuff around the house, plus live sports, and I can't really give it up, even though I have Netflix and a ton of stuff on plex. I personally don't think it's worth the trouble to find alternatives.. And my wife doesn't even watch cable TV herself. Perhaps I am wrong but I don't like to dick around anymore with random streaming devices with questionable quality, unreliable delivery and ads. I know telus has something called pik TV, don't know if shaw has something similar, but I think you can basically select exact channels you want and nothing more, but don't really know.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Check out the IPTV thread
    Sig nuked by mod.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    If your wife is against it... It's best to drop the issue haha.
    I don't like to dick around anymore with random streaming devices with questionable quality, unreliable delivery and ads.
    I agree 100%
    Thanks for all the input, I do not think she will change her mind any time soon and I might just drop it.

Appreciate all the help.

Perhaps I am wrong but I don't like to dick around anymore with random streaming devices with questionable quality, unreliable delivery and ads.
    What devices are those?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    What devices are those?
    I don't know, like I said, perhaps I am wrong, but back in the day I used to run HTPCs and they had streaming options and such as well, and none of em worked well. The way I see it, if it's free, it will probably suck in one way or another. Maybe I am wrong and things have changed. I work in IT and got tired of fucking around with stuff when I come home as well, so from now on, all I got is like 7 Roku boxes that just work, and Plex/Netflix, never have to worry about it and wife uses both all the time, been running this setup for like 7 year or so now...maybe longer, haven't had to change anything. Make enough $$$ to pay for cable and not dick around on saving $60-$80 bucks a month.

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I cut cable a long time ago and should have done it way sooner. I think there might be some threads on this already but basically:

- Shaw 330Mbps internet ($80/mo) for all your wife's shows available within minutes
    - $10 antenna will get you 4-6 HD channels with uncompressed DD5.1 audio/video depending where you are in the city if you like the news or other local shows without downloading
    - Nvidia Shield it still by far the best Android box for Plex/Netflix/Amazon Prime Video/Casting/etc. It's also very future proof (4K60P HDR, HDMI 2.0, peripheral support, etc.) and has lots of games if you wish. It's also plays nice with DTS and can pass through uncompressed audio formats like DTS MA and Dolby TrueHD to your HT.
    - Cast Reddit streams from a Chrome tab to the Shield for all sports in good HD quality. Sports is the only thing that is slightly annoying to get, but even if you get NHL Game Center or something it's a lot cheaper than a year's cable bill.

Shaw BlueSky is pretty slick though, if you can get a great deal on it, it would be worth considering if you don't do a lot of other downloading and the on demand covers your needs. My parents have Shaw 330Mbps internet, several BlueSky terminals (free rental), the "medium" channel package and a home phone for I think $130/mo on a 2 year contract. If you download everything anyway though, there is little point to Bluesky unless the wife loves it.
    Where did you get the $10 antenna? I need 2
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

My wife was against it initially as well, but I bought a single firestick, a sub to an IPTV provider, an HDOTA antenna, plus our netflix, prime video, and Kodi content and she adapted really fast. I set up favorite channels for her so that she can just go in, and not have to mess around with stuff. The firesticks boot right into the IPTV service, and its really just as easy to use. Since then we cancelled cable, we have firesticks at every TV, and she even travels with one. Its really not that difficult to figure out, maybe just take the "here try this" approach.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Trucks

I agree with above. I cancelled my Shaw satellite and just rely on a good internet connection for Netflix, Prime video, Plex on a Nvidea Shield Tv, HD antenna that works great in Cochrane. It’s been 2 years and don’t miss the trash provided on cable tv. Saturday night hockey games on the antenna are 1000x better broadcast quality than any satellite or cable feed.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Get a Box any box..

Go buy Vaders + Global for $20USD/month (Have 1 as a backup)

I had an Amazon firestick ($50CAD) which I recently gave to my dad and purchased this

Got 2 IPTVS both in high quality.. Only downside to vaders is you dont have Global Calgary but got like the Canada version and Vancouver..

Quality is great, just make sure you have an ethernet cable hooked up to the box to the streaming is much better and it doesn't lag.

Had my mom cancel cable and is getting IPGUYS for $9USD/month (Has polish channels as well and Calgary channels) but the quality isn't as good as vaders.

Vaders can also be watched online (5 devices at once MAX)

I barely watch T.V but this is a great deal if I want to watch a UFC fight or NHL game sometimes or like HGTV (Canada or US)
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    Check out the IPTV thread
    Yup. Pay $15 a month for service and have more channels than my $200 a month Telus (HBO, Movies on Demand etc) package ever had. Including PPV sports etc. Plus my box doubles as an Android box and has Kodi on it.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

I don't know, like I said, perhaps I am wrong, but back in the day I used to run HTPCs and they had streaming options and such as well, and none of em worked well. The way I see it, if it's free, it will probably suck in one way or another. Maybe I am wrong and things have changed. I work in IT and got tired of fucking around with stuff when I come home as well, so from now on, all I got is like 7 Roku boxes that just work, and Plex/Netflix, never have to worry about it and wife uses both all the time, been running this setup for like 7 year or so now...maybe longer, haven't had to change anything. Make enough $$$ to pay for cable and not dick around on saving $60-$80 bucks a month.
    I agree, I have a co-worker who builds custom XBMC builds and keeps everyone updated. Even then, I still have issues with it. I'm considering just going HDTV OTA receivers and netflix soon. I'd be curious to try an OTA receiver.

Only thing I wouldn't get in F1, but they're rolling out online streaming. So hopefully that gets solved soon.
    Cos...

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted131 View Post
    Where did you get the $10 antenna? I need 2
    I got mine from Monoprice but it appears they no longer sell that model.

Depending on where you are you may need a powered one if a passive one won't do.

I just looked very quickly but I would start with something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Antenna-Digita...s=hdtv+antenna

Or this if you're lucky:

https://www.amazon.ca/Philips-SDV112...ntenna+passive

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
    Go buy Vaders + Global for $20USD/month (Have 1 as a backup)
    Wow, these guys are going to be so f'd when the new USMCA/Mickey Mouse law get enacted here.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Wow, these guys are going to be so f'd when the new USMCA/Mickey Mouse law get enacted here.
    Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
    Get a Box any box..

I had an Amazon firestick ($50CAD) which I recently gave to my dad and purchased this
    Amazon just released presales for the 4k firestick here in Canada. $69, shipping on oct 31. Better processor, more RAM, Alexa remote.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

i wonder how many people are still getting sucked into the whole new fancy/schmancy OTA HDTV antenna fallacies when something like this will blow them all way. Placement, design and size are the key parameters, old school VHF/UHF antennas still work great and can often be picked up for free...

Name:  HD8200XL_zoom.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  18.0 KB
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    i wonder how many people are still getting sucked into the whole new fancy/schmancy OTA HDTV antenna fallacies when something like this will blow them all way. Placement, design and size are the key parameters, old school VHF/UHF antennas still work great and can often be picked up for free...

Name:  HD8200XL_zoom.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  18.0 KB
    I guess I got sucked in to buying my near invisible plastic panel for my wall instead of that free atrocity. And that antenna isn’t going to work on an HDMI input for free.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Been thinking about this one for OTA antenna.
    https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...na/A-p8749350e

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast