Quantcast
LNG Canada! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: LNG Canada!

My Ride
    Silverado

Default LNG Canada!

Finally some good news. LNG Canada is a go.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Announcement not official yet, but signs are pointing to final announcement tomorrow.

Now of course there's the small matter of building this thing, which isn't a short term thing. But at least it doesn't seem to have as much opposition as all the oil projects.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 09-30-2018 at 08:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Added:
    Not to mention that the Canada makes more than 16 Bcf/d of natural gas, and this project will export 1.7 Bcf/d to start.

So it's 10% of the output, if all my math is right. Makes a big difference at the margin, but not reducing our reliance on the Americans that much.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

https://business.financialpost.com/n...canada-project

News article if anyone hasn't read about this.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Announcement not official yet, but signs are pointing to final announcement tomorrow.

Now of course there's the small matter of building this thing, which isn't a short term thing. But at least it doesn't seem to have as much opposition as all the oil projects.
    I've spent a fair bit of time in Kitimat in the last few years and it seems like most are on board with this. Most of the land is already cleared, camps are built, bands are on board (well most). I'm more curious about Kitimat LNG (Bish Cove - Chevron), as that one has the biggest headstart, but doesn't seem to be going anywhere too quickly

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    I've spent a fair bit of time in Kitimat in the last few years and it seems like most are on board with this. Most of the land is already cleared, camps are built, bands are on board (well most). I'm more curious about Kitimat LNG (Bish Cove - Chevron), as that one has the biggest headstart, but doesn't seem to be going anywhere too quickly
    It only take a vocal few to derail large projects. In truth, MOST groups were on board with trans-mountain and even northern gateway. Don't get me wrong, I want this thing built and it will be a good boost for everyone, but we've all seen this movie before.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

It only take a vocal few to derail large projects. In truth, MOST groups were on board with trans-mountain and even northern gateway. Don't get me wrong, I want this thing built and it will be a good boost for everyone, but we've all seen this movie before.
    as a bit of an insider on these from an enviromental and regulatory point of view, this has exponentially more buy in then TMX or NG, plus doesn't have the NEB regulating the pipeline to get there...

LNG Canada/Shell went about the consultation thing in very different ways compared to KM Canada.

Also, they did a good job educating people about differences in spills... an oil tanker spill is a lot different than an LNG leak that would simply evaporate into the air.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Added:
    Not to mention that the Canada makes more than 16 Bcf/d of natural gas, and this project will export 1.7 Bcf/d to start.

So it's 10% of the output, if all my math is right. Makes a big difference at the margin, but not reducing our reliance on the Americans that much.
    Right now the egress out of BC to USA through WestCoast PL is 1.7 - 1.8 BCF/d. This would help gas pricing there. As well there is a project underway to extend the AECO system further into BC so shippers can get their gas out of BC into Alberta and onto other markets East. Every little bit helps.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Every little bit helps for sure.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

as a bit of an insider on these from an enviromental and regulatory point of view, this has exponentially more buy in then TMX or NG, plus doesn't have the NEB regulating the pipeline to get there...
    Why doesn't the NEB have anything to do with it? Just curious, don't understand this stuff.
    Cos...

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    Why doesn't the NEB have anything to do with it? Just curious, don't understand this stuff.
    I'll add a caveat, they are involved with the export licence, but not the actual development of the pipeline (coastal gaslink) or facility. They dont have anything to do with the pipeline to get it there or the structure itself as they're entirely within BC. Pipeline doesn't cross any provincial or national borders (unlike TMX and NG). Pipeline and facility were both under the BC Environmental Assessment Office

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

I'll add a caveat, they are involved with the export licence, but not the actual development of the pipeline (coastal gaslink) or facility. They dont have anything to do with the pipeline to get it there or the structure itself as they're entirely within BC. Pipeline doesn't cross any provincial or national borders (unlike TMX and NG). Pipeline and facility were both under the BC Environmental Assessment Office
    Ah, I didn't realize it all originated within BC. That's my missing.
    Cos...

My Ride
    '14 Taco

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...nada-1.4845831

Officially announced... now can it be built

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quoting myself from October 2018. Protests and blockades both along the pipeline route and elsewhere are ongoing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...test-1.5433100

Even if the majority of affected groups, taxpayers and citizens are fully on board, it's clear how a small number of protesters can create the appearance of widespread dissent. Hiding behind fake ideas like "indigenous law" is very smart on their part. How do you argue against a concept like that without looking like a racist colonial? As I said, we've seen this movie before.
    Name:  Coastal Gaslink News.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  38.3 KB
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 01-20-2020 at 10:49 AM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quoting myself from October 2018. Protests and blockades both along the pipeline route and elsewhere are ongoing.
    They're also cranking on construction elsewhere on the line. Kitimat is full boom right now