Quantcast
true wireless earphones - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: true wireless earphones

Been a bit obsessed with finding my first pair of true wireless buds. Trying to decide between 3 pairs - B&O E8, Sennheiser Momentum, and newly released Galaxy Buds. From the myriad of reviews I've been reading and watching online here's what I can come up with. Anyone with these buds please chime in with your thoughts.

B&O E8 - Expensive but with the 2.0 version just released 1.0 price is down to about $300. I don't need wireless charging and battery life is a non-issue for me so I'd lean towards the 1.0. There's been reviews that claim these are the best sounding and others say its not that impressive for $300-400 buds. This is where I'm torn. If the consensus was these are the best sounding I think this would my top pick. Bluetooth 4.2 for these so connection won't be as stable as my other choices that have 5.0. Is there anywhere locally that allows you to test these buds out?

Sennheiser Momentum - Again expensive at $375 but I personally like the Sennheiser sound with previous headphones. Lacking in features such as IP rated water resistance. Doesn't allow for multiple BT connections at the same time which is useful for working on laptop and taking a phone call. Looks a bit on the bulky side too.

Samsung Galaxy Buds - I almost bought the IconX til these were announced. Most affordable of the bunch and tons of features. Also like that these are the smallest and best looking of the bunch. Supposed to be 30% smaller than the IconX. Bose's TW buds would have made this list as they sounded incredible at the Bose store but were way too bulky and funny looking and had to be crossed off the list.

Price is pretty insane for all of these buds. I think competition and increase in adoption will lower price soon but I don't mind a splurge since the QC35s were probably one of my favorite tech purchases. Got my money's worth after 3+ years of daily usage.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Been a bit obsessed with finding my first pair of true wireless buds. Trying to decide between 3 pairs - B&O E8, Sennheiser Momentum, and newly released Galaxy Buds. From the myriad of reviews I've been reading and watching online here's what I can come up with. Anyone with these buds please chime in with your thoughts.

B&O E8 - Expensive but with the 2.0 version just released 1.0 price is down to about $300. I don't need wireless charging and battery life is a non-issue for me so I'd lean towards the 1.0. There's been reviews that claim these are the best sounding and others say its not that impressive for $300-400 buds. This is where I'm torn. If the consensus was these are the best sounding I think this would my top pick. Bluetooth 4.2 for these so connection won't be as stable as my other choices that have 5.0. Is there anywhere locally that allows you to test these buds out?

Sennheiser Momentum - Again expensive at $375 but I personally like the Sennheiser sound with previous headphones. Lacking in features such as IP rated water resistance. Doesn't allow for multiple BT connections at the same time which is useful for working on laptop and taking a phone call. Looks a bit on the bulky side too.

Samsung Galaxy Buds - I almost bought the IconX til these were announced. Most affordable of the bunch and tons of features. Also like that these are the smallest and best looking of the bunch. Supposed to be 30% smaller than the IconX. Bose's TW buds would have made this list as they sounded incredible at the Bose store but were way too bulky and funny looking and had to be crossed off the list.

Price is pretty insane for all of these buds. I think competition and increase in adoption will lower price soon but I don't mind a splurge since the QC35s were probably one of my favorite tech purchases. Got my money's worth after 3+ years of daily usage.
    I have the B&O E8's they are OK. if you are looking for really good audio quality you will be disappointed. I guess that is the down side of the wireless headphones. They work as advertised.
    I don't think you can listen to them any where in town.

I was blown away by the sound quality of the Bose Soundsport after testing them at the Bose Store so it's possible to get great sounding TW buds. Just can't get past that bulky design. Looks like wearing a hearing aid or tribal earrings.

My Ride
    95B

I was blown away by the sound quality of the Bose Soundsport after testing them at the Bose Store so it's possible to get great sounding TW buds. Just can't get past that bulky design. Looks like wearing a hearing aid or tribal earrings.
    Before I purchased the E8's I did listen to the Bose Soundport and I thought those were average. IMO E8's sounds much better than the Soundport.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Love my Sennheiser MTW so far. Yes it's expensive and I wish they were cheaper but I'm really happy with the sound. They are very comparable to my IE80 which aren't a lot cheaper than the MTW. They do look bulky but they are very comfortable in my ears so I don't really care. I can see the issue if you want to swap pairing between multiple devices. I'm not sure if they can or will fix it with firmware update. If you want to use them for phone call, apparently they are not that great. I don't care about that neither. The transparent mode works but it's a bit gimmicky for me. I still pull the buds out when I talk to people. May be it's more useful if you like running outside and to be aware of the surrounding.

I'm not sure if the master & dynamic works well with multiple devices. The sound quality is supposed to be on par and they are by far the best looking earbuds.

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    what was the sale price? my work has a discount with Jabra products and i'm seeing these available for $138 CAD or the Elite Sport for $154 CAD... considering it now.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    what was the sale price? my work has a discount with Jabra products and i'm seeing these available for $138 CAD or the Elite Sport for $154 CAD... considering it now.
    @sabad66
    Don't suppose you can get two pairs?
    Last edited by KRyn; 02-27-2019 at 09:11 AM.

I think the Jabras are one of the nicer ones of the TW right now. Got to try a set of elites recently and definitely enjoyed them. I'm still holding out for whenever they all take a big step in quality/build. Which fingers crossed isn't too far away.

ROFL as for being blown away by the Bose SS. Any wireless bud shouldn't be anything special because the technology just isn't at that level yet compared to wired. Unless you are coming from apple headphones then I'm sure it's an eargasm. Aside from the QC35 Bose is extremely disappointing and has been riding the big name for far too long with subpar products. Their headphones can barely last a year of usage going to the gym. Always crap out from sweat// lack of protection from it.

Pretty much settled on the Sennheisers. They've always been my fav earbuds and always loved their rich & bass-y sound. I think larger 7mm drivers help with better sound than some of its competitors. Downside is they don't offer simultaneous multiple connections but hopefully should be solved with a firmware update on Bluetooth 5.0. They're still a bit bulky but not to the point of being a deal breaker like the Bose. At the end of the day sound quality is my top criteria if I'm paying $300+ for a pair of buds.

Jabra elites somehow worked themselves up to my runner up position. Not amazing at anything in particular but a jack of all trades type of utility TW earbuds.

My Ride
    Axis powers

No idea that was almost 2 months ago
    Sig nuked by mod.

Quote Originally Posted by colinxx235 View Post
    I think the Jabras are one of the nicer ones of the TW right now. Got to try a set of elites recently and definitely enjoyed them. I'm still holding out for whenever they all take a big step in quality/build. Which fingers crossed isn't too far away.

ROFL as for being blown away by the Bose SS. Any wireless bud shouldn't be anything special because the technology just isn't at that level yet compared to wired. Unless you are coming from apple headphones then I'm sure it's an eargasm. Aside from the QC35 Bose is extremely disappointing and has been riding the big name for far too long with subpar products. Their headphones can barely last a year of usage going to the gym. Always crap out from sweat// lack of protection from it.

+1 Very happy with my Elite Active 65t (not to be confused with the Elite Sport which are not as good). Been using them 3-4 times a week at the gym and the battery life is absolutely ridiculous, even after ~2 hours the battery is still in the 90% range and then the case charges it back up. I've never had one fall out or even come close - they don't look like they will stay in your ears but they are somehow very solid. Had a few phone calls with them and quality is excellent - the hear through feature is cool too and you can adjust it in the settings. Zero audio delay while watching Netflix, which is a big deal for me. They are very comfortable as well, I always forget I'm wearing them.

With Bluetooth 5.0 they can connect to multiple devices simultaneously and if I pause my phone and hit play on my iPad (or vise versa), the transition is seamless.

Bose has been making mostly overpriced garbage for many, many years now. For some reason people still have a positive association with the brand and they are riding that wave as long as possible. Some of their noise cancelling headphones are alright, but grossly overpriced. Even their bluetooth speakers are bad, and those are hard to screw up.

This is probably the most through review on the Jabras and what sold me over most everything else: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/re...ite-active-65t I don't think you can do better for the price at the moment. I didn't want to get into the $300+ category because the technology is still very young.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-27-2019 at 10:57 AM.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

I have the Sennheiser and they sound awesome with Comply Foam but unfortunately they don't fit well with the case.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    I have the B&O E8's they are OK. if you are looking for really good audio quality you will be disappointed. I guess that is the down side of the wireless headphones. They work as advertised.
    I don't think you can listen to them any where in town.
    This right here. You don't buy wireless headphones or IEMs for that matter if you are after high quality audio. Spending $300 will get you a pretty good set of over ear headphones that will give you a much better listening experience.

I just want something completely cordless, with decent battery life that will not fall out of my ears when I am at the gym. I hope that the Jabras (with a discount) should meet all of my requirements.

I don't think anyone is buying truly wireless earphones for sound quality - the good ones are decent (more than enough for a workout, podcasts, or phone calls) but easily surpassed by mid-range wired IEMs or even a relatively cheap pair of full headphones if critical listening is your objective. Not having a cord to deal with either in front of you or bouncing around on your neck/ears is the best thing ever at the gym, which is why I have a pair. My only regret is not getting a pair sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    +1 Very happy with my Elite Active 65t (not to be confused with the Elite Sport which are not as good). Been using them 3-4 times a week at the gym and the battery life is absolutely ridiculous, even after ~2 hours the battery is still in the 90% range and then the case charges it back up. I've never had one fall out or even come close - they don't look like they will stay in your ears but they are somehow very solid. Had a few phone calls with them and quality is excellent - the hear through feature is cool too and you can adjust it in the settings. Zero audio delay while watching Netflix, which is a big deal for me. They are very comfortable as well, I always forget I'm wearing them.

With Bluetooth 5.0 they can connect to multiple devices simultaneously and if I pause my phone and hit play on my iPad (or vise versa), the transition is seamless.

Bose has been making mostly overpriced garbage for many, many years now. For some reason people still have a positive association with the brand and they are riding that wave as long as possible. Some of their noise cancelling headphones are alright, but grossly overpriced. Even their bluetooth speakers are bad, and those are hard to screw up.

This is probably the most through review on the Jabras and what sold me over most everything else: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/re...ite-active-65t I don't think you can do better for the price at the moment. I didn't want to get into the $300+ category because the technology is still very young.
    why do you think the Elite Sport is worse than the Elite Active 65t? The sport is about $50 more expensive so one would think it should be better but curious why you say not?

why do you think the Elite Sport is worse than the Elite Active 65t? The sport is about $50 more expensive so one would think it should be better but curious why you say not?
    They are bulkier and (according to reviews) don't sound as good as the 65t's across all measured categories, have a less reliable connection, and have less transmission range. The Sports also do not have Bluetooth 5.0 so you can't connect to multiple devices simultaneously. The Sport's main selling features are slightly more durability and built in health/activity monitoring (steps, etc.) through the Jabra App which is kind of useless, and that's what you're paying for. The Active 65t's are sweatproof and have no durability issues I can see, but apparently the Sports are even beefier. The Active 65t's are a bargain IMHO.

Man this waiting game sucks but a couple 2nd gen models look promising. Recently announced Amazon Echo buds look pretty decent with active noise cancellation although the micro-USB charging is a head scratcher. Jabra's 2nd Gen elite 75 buds are nearly identical on the inside but smaller form factor and 8 hr battery life are significant improvements. Hoping B&O and Sennheiser release updated models soon. The pricing on these things is still kinda ridiculous but should be worth they'll get used daily.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Jabra's 2nd Gen elite 75 buds are nearly identical on the inside but smaller form factor and 8 hr battery life are significant improvements.
    Pre-order for $230CAD, but $200USD... how odd.

Definitely won't be getting these hideous buds. What was microsoft thinking?!

I don't think the 75t's are worth the price increase, personally. The 65t Active's already have incredible battery life (5hr continuous use - in my experience its even better than that) and a charging case. Smaller is not necessarily better depending on how they fit in your ear, but it could be. The 65t's are not large at all by true-wireless standards. If they changed the internals I would probably feel differently, but they are basically the same earbud as the outgoing model. You can find the 65t Actives now for around $160 at Costco if memory serves me and they go on sale very regularly everywhere else for $170ish - very reasonable price for what you get IMHO. Mine are still working perfectly over a year later and I am definitely getting more than 5hr out of the battery.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast