Quantcast
F1 Implements New Rule Against Radio Help - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: F1 Implements New Rule Against Radio Help

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Default F1 Implements New Rule Against Radio Help

Looks like F1 is making a change to in-car communications. Teams will no longer be able to help drivers with instructions regarding the car's performance - ie. "You'll conserve more fuel if you short shift on Turn 2 and 6."

See article - http://www.planet-f1.com/news/3213/9...dio-Assistance

I think it can be a good thing but I'll wait and see how it turns out. If it goes back to the 80s where half the field is running out of fuel by the end from pushing then I'm happy.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

So are they allowed to hold up signage along the pit straight to relay info? What's to stop them from making up codewords for different performance parameters?
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    So are they allowed to hold up signage along the pit straight to relay info? What's to stop them from making up codewords for different performance parameters?
    I hope so and nothing. This will go over exactly like team orders.

"Lewis, it's getting cloudy near turn 10"
    "Daniel, there are six shrimp on the barbie. That's SIX shrimp on the barbie, please confirm"
    "Fernando, dos botellas de agua por favor"

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Mibz
    I hope so and nothing. This will go over exactly like team orders.

"Lewis, it's getting cloudy near turn 10"
    "Daniel, there are six shrimp on the barbie. That's SIX shrimp on the barbie, please confirm"
    "Fernando, dos botellas de agua por favor"
    Should just ban the radios then.

Or put an LCD on the wheel. Or HUD.

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

Originally posted by killramos

Should just ban the radios then.

Or put an LCD on the wheel. Or HUD.
    Two way telemetry has been banned for a while, so it was up to the race engineer to tell the driver to change his settings. Some of the cars already have the LCD wheel but Red Bull don't...and even then it will only be useful for the car status and not a communication device.

I think this rule is absurd. For those who love the engineering and science behind F1, you gain a larger appreciation of how hard it is to drive the car when your engineer tells you go to diff12 after a puncture so you don't fuck your differential..

My Ride
    Has AWD

i agree this is a stupid rule, will they be limiting engines further too? how bout we all just pick our favorite car and push them by hand so we can "conserve more fuel"

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The enforcement of the rule is for radio messages that assists a driver's speed. Things like brake later turn 2, or earlier apex turn 4, those are gone.

What is allowed is messages relating to fuel consumption, strategy, and reliability. Those don't improve a driver's speed so it's still allowed.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Has AWD

So then the big question will be who uses that the most now. Who does not use it at all and will potentially gain ground on others who rely on it now?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

personally, I like the idea of almost completely restricting radio communication to emergency transmissions like crashes / yellow / red / black flags, and to spotter communication.

The rest of it should all be done via the boards at pit lane.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Looks like the FIA made some clarifications, and the clampdown is more serious than first thought. They will be watching for coded messages, and there will be sporting penalties (not monetary).

Allowed

- Telling a driver when he is allowed to or meant to stop for new tyres

- Team orders in terms of overtaking or letting a team-mate past

- Warning a driver about the traffic situation during qualifying and the race

- Safety warning relating to yellow flags or dangerous situations on the track

Not allowed

- Informing a driver to change any settings on his car to improve its performance

- Informing a driver about his fuel consumption and how to manage his pace

- Informing a driver about his own performance in sectors and where he can improve

- Informing a driver about the condition or state of his tyres

- Informing a driver how best to approach the formation lap or setting changes to make better start
    The 2 biggest ones are fuel consumption data, and formation lap data are not allowed. Can't even tell the driver to back off to save fuel, they will have to rely on the data on the screen to manage fuel consumption. As for formation lap, there is a LOT of data passed on to drivers, from tire and brake temps, to clutch settings at the start. This should make the start very interesting, especially for cars with no LCD screens on the steering wheel (RBR, Williams) to give them feedback on how to set the launch up.

This means a heated battle between Lewis and Rosberg could run them both out of fuel if the drivers don't manage it properly.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by MGCM
    So then the big question will be who uses that the most now. Who does not use it at all and will potentially gain ground on others who rely on it now?
    Definitely RBR and Mercedes. They are always chatting about the cars pace tires etc.

Basically they are preventing the engineers from over engineering during the race. I wonder if this will make more of a push for reliability and less aggressive driver settings?

My Ride
    is broken

Originally posted by spikerS
    personally, I like the idea of almost completely restricting radio communication to emergency transmissions like crashes / yellow / red / black flags, and to spotter communication.

The rest of it should all be done via the boards at pit lane.
    Agree. The driver should be able to communicate with his team for tire changes and what not but all communication to the driver should be safety only.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by rage2
    Looks like the FIA made some clarifications, and the clampdown is more serious than first thought. They will be watching for coded messages, and there will be sporting penalties (not monetary).

The 2 biggest ones are fuel consumption data, and formation lap data are not allowed. Can't even tell the driver to back off to save fuel, they will have to rely on the data on the screen to manage fuel consumption. As for formation lap, there is a LOT of data passed on to drivers, from tire and brake temps, to clutch settings at the start. This should make the start very interesting, especially for cars with no LCD screens on the steering wheel (RBR, Williams) to give them feedback on how to set the launch up.

This means a heated battle between Lewis and Rosberg could run them both out of fuel if the drivers don't manage it properly.
    What if a drivers brakes are severely overheating and causes them to fail?
    Vettel's #1

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-06-2019 at 03:35 PM.

My Ride
    Has AWD

more off's and more DNF's seems the likely outcome of these new rules

My Ride
    14 ZL1

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I find it a little bit ridiculous they can implement rules on what they can and can't say over the radio. Plus consider the amount of manpower needed just to enforce it.
    This. It is a dumb micromanagement attempt. I don't understand the point of it.
    Mike
    14 ZL1
    07 Mazdaspeed3

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

F1 favours those who can find ways around the "rules". Sometimes I wonder if its just to get the teams motivated to think about new ideas. Those who can, win.

Whats stopping a team from setting up a encrypted comm system that works in conjunction with the drivers existing system? I doubt F1 has a bunch of hackers watching the radio waves for the occasional encrypted burst of comm traffic they cant identify or decrypt.

If that loophole were available then it would have been utilized by now, I'm sure. But you're right in that they will find a way around it.

My Ride
    944 535xi F250

I liked the chatter, seems more like a team sport.
    ninja trainers motto

always be able to kill your students

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast