Thread: Made by Google 2018

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Holy shit, the Pixel 3/3XL on sale already for Black Friday

https://store.google.com/ca/category...romos?hl=en-CA

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 8.24.58 AM.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  36.7 KB

~$815 all-in for a new Pixel 3 is pretty tempting.

Crazy that they already discounted it. Have to buy 2 to get the deal though.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Still no update for me either.

Looks like the Pixel 3 will be Buy one get one 50% off for Black Friday in the US. Any idea if those deals are usually offered on Google Canada?

If not I have a sister in Nevada. I wonder if I could order them via the US site and get them sent to my sisters place.
    I got the update now too - probably same time as your haha. Night sight is quite a bit better than I thought, probably because the comparisons to date have been with beta software.

Yeah it's the same deals for us in Canada, but you need to buy two. Or you can take $200 off an outright purchase, which you already got by means of the stand ($110) and the credit ($75), so it kind of evens out depending on how you want to receive your reward. Good deals nonetheless. Everyone is still within their return period (15 days from receipt), so you can return your current phone and buy new ones with the discount if you want - google will not credit you the difference and you actually have to follow through. Might be worth it if you prefer cash over goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    I just changed the transitions on my own phone. Holy crap that's nice, never knew that was a thing.
    Yeah there is a ton of artifical delay built into the phones to make them look pretty - I'd rather just get rid of that and have a snappier phone.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-16-2018 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Holy shit, the Pixel 3/3XL on sale already for Black Friday

https://store.google.com/ca/category...romos?hl=en-CA

~$815 all-in for a new Pixel 3 is pretty tempting.
    It's still good but they have definitely thought this through - it works out to $225 off per phone which is only slightly better than the original deals with the free stand + credit ($184) or the flat $150 (3)-200 (3XL) off on black Friday on a single purchase.

On Two 3 XL 128GB the discount is $570, which is a lot until you split it in half, and then again it's only about $100 better than what they offered on launch day. Still a good deal but probably not worth the hassle of returning/rebuying. If you haven't bought one yet though it's a no-brainer if you can find a partner.

My Ride
    Grimace

Bah, I like how mine came right before the deal started. I will wait for the BF deal of $200 off a single and then will price protect on my mastercard and get $100 back

Rest of the deals:
    https://store.google.com/category/bl..._monday_promos

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    Bah, I like how mine came right before the deal started. I will wait for the BF deal of $200 off a single and then will price protect on my mastercard and get $100 back

Rest of the deals:
    Which CC? Don't most of the price protections exclude phones/electronics/computers?

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post

Rest of the deals:
    I thought about doing the same as my CC actually has $250 of protection (4 claims per year, total $1000), so I thought I could get the entire discount, but this fine print from the "exclusions" section might make Black Friday non-eligible due to how broad it is:

"Printed advertisements or non-auction Internet advertisements that display pricing lower than your purchased item due to rebates, special offerings, bonuses, free items/giveaways, manufacturer’s coupons, or special financing."

They still might do it for me but they are leaving the door wide open for a denial.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Which CC? Don't most of the price protections exclude phones/electronics/computers?
    I have the Capital One Aspire World Elite and there is nothing about electronics/computers/phones. The exemptions are more on the lines of antiques, collectibles, differences in exchange rates, etc.

It's $250 protection per claim and I can make 4 claims every 12 month period.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-16-2018 at 11:39 AM.

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

Anyone fine a decent glass screen protector for the Pixel 3 yet? Tried on from Amazon but seems to be slightly too long. Width is fine just the usual gap due to the curved screen. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by redevil View Post
    Anyone fine a decent glass screen protector for the Pixel 3 yet? Tried on from Amazon but seems to be slightly too long. Width is fine just the usual gap due to the curved screen. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    This one is pretty good if your case doesn't push up against the sides and lift it off the screen:

https://www.amazon.ca/ESR-Tempered-P...ctor+esr&psc=1

The glass quality is outstanding but it is a perimeter-glued product meaning there is always a tiny space between the protector and the screen. I'm using it now as a place holder.

I bought this and it will arrive tomorrow to try:

https://www.amazon.ca/Spigen-Protect...reen+protector

These were complete garbage - all 3 of them:

https://www.amazon.ca/LK-Protector-B...reen+protector

The other option is to get one that doesn't quite cover the whole screen and then use a thick case - those always work the best but look the worst.

Just buy from Amazon and if any of them aren't good, return for free.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-19-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redevil View Post
    I am using the ESR protector as well (but the Pixel 3 version, not XL), it fits very nicely (can't really tell it is there unless you look for it). Only complaint is the edges aren't rounded, but you don't notice it as much because the protector is a fraction of a mm smaller than the screen itself. I'm happy with the purchase considering it was only $17 for 2.

I go case less, so not sure how well it works with cases.
    ---

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

Do either of you have a pic of it on by any chance? I've got the Google fabric case - will it work with it?
    Otherwise I might see if anywhere has the Zagg one - it looks like it's only in EU now?

https://www.zagg.com/eu/en_eu/shop-b...xl-accessories

Quote Originally Posted by riced View Post
    Do either of you have a pic of it on by any chance? I've got the Google fabric case - will it work with it?
    Otherwise I might see if anywhere has the Zagg one - it looks like it's only in EU now?

https://www.zagg.com/eu/en_eu/shop-b...xl-accessories
    The ESR promotional pics are very accurate. I am looking at mine right now and it's not misleading. It perfectly covers 100% of the screen, but I had had my case push the corner up just enough to impact touch sensitivity a couple of times. If the case you have now touches the side of the glass, you may not be happy with it.

The glass itself though is excellent- extremely slippery and feels high-end. Fairly resistant to fingerprints too.

You can always just buy it and return it if it doesn't work - they advertise that it's "Case Friendly" so it's not your fault if it doesn't work. I emailed ESR about mine just to ask about case compatibility and they immediately refunded me and asked me not to return it.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-19-2018 at 05:08 PM.

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The ESR promotional pics are very accurate. I am looking at mine right now and it's not misleading. It perfectly covers 100% of the screen, but I had had my case push the corner up just enough to impact touch sensitivity a couple of times. If the case you have now touches the side of the glass, you may not be happy with it.

The glass itself though is excellent- extremely slippery and feels high-end. Fairly resistant to fingerprints too.

You can always just buy it and return it if it doesn't work - they advertise that it's "Case Friendly" so it's not your fault if it doesn't work. I emailed ESR about mine just to ask about case compatibility and they immediately refunded me and asked me not to return it.
    Thank you! That's good to know. I'm a big fan of the Jetech protectors made for the iPhone as it feels super slick and high end as well. But they don't make any for the Pixel.

My Pixel and case don't get here till Thursday so I don't know for sure. I stole these from Reddit - based on what you guys see here, do you think the protector will work with the google fabric case?

Name:  oY4AjJ2.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  39.8 KB

Name:  yA1cXRr.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  0WXnqul.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  47.7 KB

Name:  cOibzGM.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  27.3 KB

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

Thank you! That's good to know. I'm a big fan of the Jetech protectors made for the iPhone as it feels super slick and high end as well. But they don't make any for the Pixel.

My Pixel and case don't get here till Thursday so I don't know for sure. I stole these from Reddit - based on what you guys see here, do you think the protector will work with the google fabric case?

Name:  oY4AjJ2.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  39.8 KB
    It should be fine as your case looks like it doesn't wrap around the edge of the phone that much. But it will also depend on the actual cut of the screen protector. I find that they aren't cut to the correct size going top to bottom as they are too long. Sides from left to right always have the mm gap on each side which is expected for a glass protector. The one I have seems to be a mm too long which you can see dust already getting stuck to the bottom.

It looks like it probably will work - I'd give it a try. If it doesn't work, returns are free.

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

Thanks guys. I just ordered it - there was a $2.00 coupon so that's a bonus. lol I'll let you guys know how it is.

Side note on free returns - I have prime, but I don't think I've ever had free returns? I've always had to pay postage back either through Amazon or I could pay whatever Canada Post charged. Maybe it's different depending on the seller?

My Ride
    V8s

I also ordered these with the $2.00 off haha.

With these, I don't htink they make you return it, they just refund it.

Thanks guys. I just ordered it - there was a $2.00 coupon so that's a bonus. lol I'll let you guys know how it is.

Side note on free returns - I have prime, but I don't think I've ever had free returns? I've always had to pay postage back either through Amazon or I could pay whatever Canada Post charged. Maybe it's different depending on the seller?
    When you return it, all you have to do is select a reason that isn't your fault (eg. performance or quality not adequate or inaccurate product description) and the shipping label they give you to print is free of charge. They don't check anything and you don't need to provide details beyond that. And if you ever need customer service, they are ridiculously lenient for Prime members.

Or you can email the company itself and 9/10 times they just refund you and let you keep it because it costs more to ship it back than it does for them to make the product.

If it's sold by Amazon, they will do the same (refund rather than have you ship it back) but if it's a third party and just shipped by Amazon, you have to return it to get a refund from Amazon OR talk to the company directly.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-20-2018 at 10:51 AM.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Anyone see an update on when Google Home hub will be released in Canada? Likely going to order in the US for cyber monday.. but dont want to have any functionality issues.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Anyone see an update on when Google Home hub will be released in Canada? Likely going to order in the US for cyber monday.. but dont want to have any functionality issues.
    Haven't seen anything yet, I am guessing 2019 like the google home release. Should be fine functionality wise as it supports all the assistant languages anyways.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast