Quantcast
Made by Google 2018 - Page 14 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Made by Google 2018

Yeah I'm not sure what's wrong with it. I went through a few steps with chat support. In safe mode it seemed to be fine.

I will give it a few more days. It's too bad Koodo doesn't have wifi calling for this phone.

Also the ESR protector doesn't work with my Spigen clear case so I ordered the ESR case cjblair has so hopefully that works fine.

Dec 5 security patch has landed early, I just received it. Here is a list of the updates:

https://9to5google.com/2018/12/03/an...y-patch-pixel/

Default Pixel 3 vs Pixel 2XL

Got my wife switched over to a Pixel 3 with Telus's Black Friday deal... she's enjoying it so far!

I'm looking to switch myself to my employer's employees discount plan with Telus.

The plans are really cheap but the catch is that you have to buy a phone from Telus to get started (a SIM).

Just noticed on the website (to sign up) they have the Pixel 2XL for $0 vs Pixel 3 for $50 for a 2 year term (I may not qualify for this though.. the buy a phone part...??)

Would it be worth it to pay extra for the Pixel 3?

I plan to keep it the for probably at least 2 years and my wife could pass her's down to me after 2 years as well.

PS: Both coming from Windows 8.1 phones!
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

I'd say it's definitely worth it to spring for the Pixel 3 if you plan on keeping it as long as 2 years. It's quite a significant improvement in areas like the screen, the camera(s), build quality, speakers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd say it's definitely worth it to spring for the Pixel 3 if you plan on keeping it as long as 2 years. It's quite a significant improvement in areas like the screen, the camera(s), build quality, speakers, etc.
    Thanks! Went with the 3!

Read a few more VS reviews and saw that the P2 display is a bit of a let down which is a deal breaker for me...
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

Quote Originally Posted by ipeefreely View Post
    Thanks! Went with the 3!

Read a few more VS reviews and saw that the P2 display is a bit of a let down which is a deal breaker for me...
    Yeah the Pixel 3's display is definitely better (the 3 is still LG and the 3 XL is Samsung but both are top notch). Some early Pixel 2 XL's (the 2 was not affected and had a Samsung screen) had a fairly strong blue tint when viewed on an angle, but not all phones had it and the issue was definitely exaggerated by all the news websites. I exchanged mine twice for unrelated issues (dead pixel and white uniformity) and my third unit actually had a perfect screen and no more blue tint than a Samsung S9 or iPhone X when viewed on an angle.

You'll be very pleased with the 3/3XL though. Camera and screen are both phenomenal which are my #1 requirements these days. Speakers are probably twice as good as the XL2 and the phone is just more solid. It's built by Foxconn now (same manufacturer as iPhones) instead of LG or another OEM like previous ones were.

Night sight is really, really impressing me - It is the first "game changing" feature I have seen on a smartphone in a very long time.

My Ride
    an econo box

I'm glad the December update fixed the bluetooth issue I was having with phone calls in my car. The call would connect fine, but I had no audio on my end whatsoever. They could hear me fine on the other end though. Works normally now.

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

Oh man, this Pixel 3 phone is driving me nuts now. Phone calls are not connecting and people on the other end cannot hear me. Sometimes there is a delay when I hit the answer button and then the call disconnects or goes to voicemail. Now there is a buzzing sound on the call. I was on the phone with Google Support to try to have it diagnosed but looks to be another hardware problem. This is already the second Pixel 3 since I had to have the other one returned on the first day of launch....

Quote Originally Posted by redevil View Post
    Oh man, this Pixel 3 phone is driving me nuts now. Phone calls are not connecting and people on the other end cannot hear me. Sometimes there is a delay when I hit the answer button and then the call disconnects or goes to voicemail. Now there is a buzzing sound on the call. I was on the phone with Google Support to try to have it diagnosed but looks to be another hardware problem. This is already the second Pixel 3 since I had to have the other one returned on the first day of launch....
    The support staff are 100% useless, it's just people with literally zero technical knowledge reading off a script. Once you tell them the issue isn't resolved by restarting the phone they pretty much just agree to send you a new one. If you think it's the phone and not a carrier issue (at least some of that sounds possibly carrier related), just get them to send you a new one - you get to keep the current one while waiting for the new one so you are never without a phone.

I have not had any call issues with my 3XL yet - had several conference calls at work on it today as well and the speakers are awesome.

I've returned lots of phones to Google (and Apple and Samsung) but it's always been to get a flawless screen.

One thing you might try is turning off WiFi calling and those types of options in case it's interfering.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-13-2018 at 05:16 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

That sucks. Mine's been fantastic.

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

Trying to now get Telus to send me a new phone to replace my Pixel 3, have to get them to approve an exception since it might be over their 30 days return/replacement policy by 7 days. The other option would be to send the phone to Google, but that would mean I without a phone till they get it and send me a new one. Might be the option to go with if Telus doesn't grant the exception to sending me a replacement and sending my old one back after. Hopefully the hardware replacement is better as I don't want to have them just to fix the current one I have since it should be brand new.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Anyone pick up a Home Hub? I have to wait for Christmas to get mine.. but interested to see what it can do.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Anyone pick up a Home Hub? I have to wait for Christmas to get mine.. but interested to see what it can do.
    Got the Lenovo Smart Display, so far I have not treat it much different that Google home speaker with a screen.

But my 1st thing to look into would be looking for camera integration so I can find out if there is a suite of cameras that is Home capable so I can call up the feeds on the display.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Got the Lenovo Smart Display, so far I have not treat it much different that Google home speaker with a screen.

But my 1st thing to look into would be looking for camera integration so I can find out if there is a suite of cameras that is Home capable so I can call up the feeds on the display.
    Keep us posted on your thoughts of the Lenovo... I'm waiting for the Google Hub but maybe the Lenovo is better. We are setting up our nursery right now, and I like the idea of having nest cameras setup and use them as security / baby monitor, rather than just a stand alone baby monitor unit. Right now we do have indoor cameras but the wife wants easy/constant monitoring and prefer not to have to find the phone, open the app, wait to establish connection, and select camera just to see what's up. It would be neat if we can just say " Hey google, show baby room".

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    Keep us posted on your thoughts of the Lenovo... I'm waiting for the Google Hub but maybe the Lenovo is better. We are setting up our nursery right now, and I like the idea of having nest cameras setup and use them as security / baby monitor, rather than just a stand alone baby monitor unit. Right now we do have indoor cameras but the wife wants easy/constant monitoring and prefer not to have to find the phone, open the app, wait to establish connection, and select camera just to see what's up. It would be neat if we can just say " Hey google, show baby room".
    I am doing that now but with our front door. "Hey Google, who's at the front door?" and the feed will show up on the TV of whichever room I am in. I want the Home Hub so I can have it automated so whenever anyone walks up to door they show up on the Hub screen.

I wish this stuff was around when our kids were younger for the baby monitor aspect, perfect use case!
    ---

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

The Lenovo smart display is onsale to $150 at bestbuy.. maybe I'll pick one up this weekend and see.

My Ride
    Bicycle

The Lenovo smart display is onsale to $150 at bestbuy.. maybe I'll pick one up this weekend and see.
    https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/smart-display

$135 at Lenovo.com

$134 at Walmart during Black Friday. That's when I picked it up. I used Walmart's price PM BB's and got one for $122. BB had it at $260 back then and got blindsided by Lenovo and Walmart during Black Friday. I think Lenovo got blindsided by Google Hub's pricing as well and forced to drop to clear stock.

The sounds like on par with the OG Google Home speaker but nowhere as good as the Max. Enough the fill the main floor with music that you don't really care. If you subscribe to Duo, the video call feature works flawlessly. The only downside is only Duo call works in portrait mode. I really wish to be able to stand it up instead of lay it down, it looks cooler and take up less desktop space.

There is supposed to be some Google Home stuff for my existing D-Link cameras and that's what I'll be tinkering with this holiday. But given only 1 of 3 is recent, I assume there will be issues with older models.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-14-2018 at 03:35 PM.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/smart-display

$135 at Lenovo.com

$134 at Walmart during Black Friday. That's when I picked it up when I used Walmart's price PM BB's and got one for $122. BB had it at $260 back then and got blindsided by Lenovo and Walmart during Black Friday.

The sounds like on par with the OG Google Home speaker but not where as good as the Max. Enough the fill the main floor with music that you don't really care. If you subscribe to Duo, the video call feature works flawlessly. The only downside is only Duo call works in portrait mode. I really wish to be able to stand it up instead of lay it down, it looks cooler and take up less desktop space.

There is supposed to be some Google Home stuff for my existing D-Link cameras and that's what I'll be tinkering with this holiday. But given only 1 of 3 is recent, I assume there will be issues with older models.
    Oh this is great! and 3% ebates off lenovo. I'll just buy it online. No rush to have it. Thanks for the heads up!

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

I was reading the sound on Google Hub is not as good as the Google Home, which is not ideal so I like how the Lenovo is more powerful and same price. I don't need it to be any more powerful as it's only for the kitchen and I have chrome cast setup to TV to blast music through the in-wall speakers in the living room.

Ordering one now!

Edit: Lenovo says ship in 3 weeks (!) , so gonna price match it at BB now.
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 12-14-2018 at 04:33 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I was reading the sound on Google Hub is not as good as the Google Home, which is not ideal so I'm like the Lenovo is more powerful and same price. I don't need it to be anymore powerful as it's only for the kitchen and I have chrome cast setup to TV to blast music through the in-wall speakers in the living room.

Ordering one now!

Edit: Lenovo says ships in 3 weeks (!) , so gonna price match it at BB now.
    Yeah, there is no reason to get Google Hub on hardware specs perspective against Lenovo Smart Display. Better sound, bigger screen, better wifi, lower price.

The question is the longevity of the platform and updates. So far I got 1 update on the Smart Display out of the box.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-14-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 LastLast