Quantcast
Mercedes c32 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes c32

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by yipb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone know how good a c55 amg would be compared to c32?
    Not much different IMO, but you bypass the intercooler issues. I considered the C55, but it isn't nearly as tunable.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Yeah, I’m not too sure how well an E90 would do at autox, they don’t really shine till you can stretch your legs a little. I could see them being close there, the short wheel base on an slk would also help
    They clean up (im talking about the ZCP). 3 of the last 4 years the SCCA national championship has been won by a E9X M3 in its class (F-Street) which includes stuff like IS-F's, C36s/C55/C63's, Mustang GT's and Camaro SS's. Interestingly the C32/SLK32 cars are in a higher class (B-Street) with the M2s, RS3s, and 987 Caymans. So in theory the the C32/SLK32s should be a bit faster. Personally I think the two cars should run fairly close times.

What about buying something slightly newer that isn't an AMG / M but with a V8 so you still get comparable performance to the older forced induction 6cyl AMG? Maybe a BMW 550i or MB E500/550? Not sure if those are outside your budget or not.

You could get a nice Audi S4 or A6 in your budget too. Lots of tuning potential there as well.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

yeah, at our altitude, a 335 with a light tune is much faster than an M3 V8.

I think rage2 and gage did a race with his rage2 C63 and GTI and the GTI stated pulling on the C63. haha

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    What about buying something slightly newer that isn't an AMG / M but with a V8 so you still get comparable performance to the older forced induction 6cyl AMG? Maybe a BMW 550i or MB E500/550? Not sure if those are outside your budget or not.

You could get a nice Audi S4 or A6 in your budget too. Lots of tuning potential there as well.
    Can't comment on the newer MB 550s (with the TT v8), but IIRC the bmw 550 is garbage reliability-wise. I also wouldn't want to own an S4 off warranty, I remember the DSG and sport diff both have a tendency for issues (and you wouldn't want that car without at least the sport diff, but ideally both).

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Can't comment on the newer MB 550s (with the TT v8), but IIRC the bmw 550 is garbage reliability-wise. I also wouldn't want to own an S4 off warranty, I remember the DSG and sport diff both have a tendency for issues (and you wouldn't want that car without at least the sport diff, but ideally both).
    There is a reason I ran away from mine as it approached 100k clicks. The fear of the DSG blowing up is no joke. As for the sport diff that never had any issues. Just melted cats that having a stasis tune bent me sideways on....

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    yeah, at our altitude, a 335 with a light tune is much faster than an M3 V8.

I think rage2 and gage did a race with his rage2 C63 and GTI and the GTI stated pulling on the C63. haha
    E46 M3 vs GTI. The GTI was replaced with the C63.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    S4 is available without adjustable suspension and with a 6MT if DSG reliability is a concern. My 2000 S4 and 2006 S4 have already been more reliable than my 2010 and 2017 Honda Civics haha - and that is over many years.

I don't know about 550 reliability so that might be the case.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

Well like I said I've looked at mercs with the V8's, but they all seem to have problems. The 63 has issues and the 550's had issues as well of their own. I think they got better around 2010 (for both engines), and I considered the 2012+ E550 which is quite powerful, but then the handling isn't really there. (And I kinda don't like the looks either). I also did consider the 550, and also considered the 335, but BMW just seems to have so many problems I'm not sure I want to take that on. I could get an E90 well inside my budget but the earlier 335's had turbo issues and the 2011+ are looking like a dated platform to me for the price. I AM considering the F30 335 as a possibility though.

As for S4, as I said the 2011+ MY is in the mix and has plenty of performance... especially tuned. The reason why I mention 2011+ is because I thought the DSG has been sorted by then. Can someone confirm? Add to that the 2012 MY A6 which has basically the same engine (though for some reason not quite as much power) and that those are both probably at the top of my list at this point. The A6 does not have any known obvious issues as far as I know, so it is probably in the lead right now. Another Jaguar is also a consideration but after totalling 2 of them, I'm kinda wondering if they are cursed...

Oh hey, look - this subtly turned into another "what car to buy" thread.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 10-11-2018 at 11:53 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I regret not keeping my CLS550 for longer than 3 years. It's oddly one of the cars that I miss the most. I can't stop talking about how great that car was overall every time I see one on the road. It's too bad the E550/CLS550 with the V8 TT is still so expensive. It actually handles quite decent if you have the air suspension. I have videos of my CLS550 keeping up with an E63S of the same vintage around corners, and not losing out by much in a straight line by 2 equally good drivers. I mean if I was driving, I'd kick that E63S's ass...

If it's in your budget, any of the 550's with the V8TT is a great car to own. Absolutely bulletproof engine and transmission. E Coupes had it too, and those seems to have depreciated off decent, but RWD only.

edit - not terrible: https://www.mercedes-benz-downtownca...berta/16114064
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I regret not keeping my CLS550 for longer than 3 years. It's oddly one of the cars that I miss the most. I can't stop talking about how great that car was overall every time I see one on the road. It's too bad the E550/CLS550 with the V8 TT is still so expensive. It actually handles quite decent if you have the air suspension. I have videos of my CLS550 keeping up with an E63S of the same vintage around corners, and not losing out by much in a straight line by 2 equally good drivers. I mean if I was driving, I'd kick that E63S's ass...

If it's in your budget, any of the 550's with the V8TT is a great car to own. Absolutely bulletproof engine and transmission. E Coupes had it too, and those seems to have depreciated off decent, but RWD only.

Ahem, Mercedes 550 lol

My Ride
    TRD Pro

While the ISFs are a bit older, they are by far the most reliable out of the category. The only issue on the early ones was the water pump and the replacement is less than 1k. I quite enjoyed my 2008 after replacing the exhaust and cats. Drove like a normal Grandpa Lexus until you put it in sport mode, then it was quite fun. (And sounded great)

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I don't know if it's still the case or if OP even cares but once upon a time the MB dealerships wouldn't work on the LHD German / Japanese imports. Insurance also normally won't offer collision or comprehensive on these units either. If OP is doing his own wrenching / independent shop and doesn't care about the insurance then these bumps in the road don't matter.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I regret not keeping my CLS550 for longer than 3 years. It's oddly one of the cars that I miss the most. I can't stop talking about how great that car was overall every time I see one on the road. It's too bad the E550/CLS550 with the V8 TT is still so expensive. It actually handles quite decent if you have the air suspension.
    I don't mind the look of the coupes, though with a kid 4 doors is the more ideal car. I thought only the sedans had the air suspension? That's at least what I read somewhere....

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    I don't mind the look of the coupes, though with a kid 4 doors is the more ideal car. I thought only the sedans had the air suspension? That's at least what I read somewhere....
    Correct. That generation E Coupes were based off the C class, which doesn't have air suspension. On the other hand, it handles more like a C than an E. It's also pretty cramped back there because of the smaller platform, but not as bad as the current generation C coupe which is not kid friendly at all. Nothing wrong with coupes and kids if it's got decent room out back. If anything, I don't have to worry about door dings because I have to open the door for them haha.

Well like I said I've looked at mercs with the V8's, but they all seem to have problems. The 63 has issues and the 550's had issues as well of their own. I think they got better around 2010 (for both engines), and I considered the 2012+ E550 which is quite powerful, but then the handling isn't really there. (And I kinda don't like the looks either). I also did consider the 550, and also considered the 335, but BMW just seems to have so many problems I'm not sure I want to take that on. I could get an E90 well inside my budget but the earlier 335's had turbo issues and the 2011+ are looking like a dated platform to me for the price. I AM considering the F30 335 as a possibility though.

As for S4, as I said the 2011+ MY is in the mix and has plenty of performance... especially tuned. The reason why I mention 2011+ is because I thought the DSG has been sorted by then. Can someone confirm? Add to that the 2012 MY A6 which has basically the same engine (though for some reason not quite as much power) and that those are both probably at the top of my list at this point. The A6 does not have any known obvious issues as far as I know, so it is probably in the lead right now. Another Jaguar is also a consideration but after totalling 2 of them, I'm kinda wondering if they are cursed...

I would look at a B8.5 which I believe started with MY13. I had the DSG go on my S4(2011) and had no interest in spending the money replacing it. I did have a stage 2 tune and pulley which made some good power.

Ah I missed where you said the S4 was in the running. I think that's what I'd buy if I had your budget. I have not owned a B8 but I owned a B5 and B7 and literally had zero problems over many combined years of ownership. One of them was chipped for over 130K as well. I think making sure you bought from a conscientious previous owner and a pre-purchase inspection would be more important than anything else.

2012 or newer is the S4 you want if you go DSG. The 6MT's are bulletproof if you don't mind rowing your own gears. If you go read on the Audi specific forums you will find the DSG issues are overblown (especially on unmodified cars), and by far the most prevalent for 2010-11 MY.

My dad just bought an A6 and there does not seem to be any major/common issues with those at all. Glenmore Audi also claims it's the model they sell with the fewest problems. Rock solid engine & ZF 8spd auto - only complaint is no rev matching on the downshifts. Honestly one of the most underrated cars out there in my opinion, especially with a 0-60 time of 4.7sec and a 1/4 mile of 13.3 while your seat is massaging you haha. I also think you're used to that size/style of car coming from your Jag's, that might appeal to you. They aren't as sought after and the people who buy them are far less likely to abuse them, so lots of good deals to be had.

We drove a few E550's when shopping and the power was fantastic but even with the stiffest suspension setting it was just a really soft car - or at least seemed like it with the body roll. I think they were MY2014 or so.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by A2VR6 View Post
    They clean up (im talking about the ZCP). 3 of the last 4 years the SCCA national championship has been won by a E9X M3 in its class (F-Street) which includes stuff like IS-F's, C36s/C55/C63's, Mustang GT's and Camaro SS's. Interestingly the C32/SLK32 cars are in a higher class (B-Street) with the M2s, RS3s, and 987 Caymans. So in theory the the C32/SLK32s should be a bit faster. Personally I think the two cars should run fairly close times.
    Yup E90 M3's are fast at autocross, great car. Aren't the SLK32's and Crossfire SRT6 basically the same car? If so the Crossfire has too narrow of a wheel, a slushbox trans and no LSD, locally we had two good drivers at the beginning of this season one in a E90 ZCP and one in an SRT6 and the Crossfire didn't have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    Yup E90 M3's are fast at autocross, great car. Aren't the SLK32's and Crossfire SRT6 basically the same car? If so the Crossfire has too narrow of a wheel, a slushbox trans and no LSD, locally we had two good drivers at the beginning of this season one in a E90 ZCP and one in an SRT6 and the Crossfire didn't have a chance.
    Yes. That relationship resulted in a couple abominations if I recall. Also, isn't Chrysler still riding on the coattails of the ~2004 E Class chassis to underpin their 300C because they still haven't come up with anything better themselves? I don't know if they still are but to my knowledge they used it for a long time. I think they did the same thing with the Durango and Grand Cherokee chassis. If Daimler AG still owns them then maybe nothing has changed but I thought that was separate from Chrysler LLC/Fiat.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-11-2018 at 04:24 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

Did you have your CLS550 with small kids? If so, any feedback on that (RE: carseats, etc)? I'm thinking about selling my ISF since I never drive it, but if I have something a little more conducive to the whole family it would get a lot more use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast