Quantcast
Mercedes c32 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Mercedes c32

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Default Mercedes c32

So as some of you know my second xf was written off. Still fighting the insurance company. Anyway, Ive been researching what to get next and realize my 25k-30k budget wont get me a really as much as I would like in regards to a lower mileage fast sedan.

So then I considered the other direction. There are Japanese imported c32s on the market. Under 100k for dirt cheap. Tuned (as I intend) they are not at all slow. Checks all the boxes and I'm not too concerned about the image of driving an older car. (Still looks relatively sharp to me).

So for Rage (because I know he has experience) is there any reason why I should avoid such a (thrifty) purchase? Will a North American tune have any issues with an overseas ecu? I cant imagine...

I'm aware of the typical maintenance things....

My Ride
    changes every year

I know nothing about them, but I saw nice Maserati quattroporte for pretty cheap, in your budget for sure....also, maybe look at an E55 AMG...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Intercooler repairs will kill ya. Not sure if there’s 3rd party kits yet. OEM stuff at the time just keeps leaking. Same deal with intercooler pump but that part can be had for cheap through Chrysler dealers. The Crossfire SRT6 is pretty much a same gen SLK32.

Any of those 2 fail, hello limp mode.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Forget the C32 and get a C63 instead.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Forget the C32 and get a C63 instead.
    This is what I was gonna say. Just make sure it's 2011+ or has head bolts done already. If you really want to make sure it's taken care of, lifter buckets (?) are the other common problem.

The cost of brakes and fuel will bring tears to your eyes, but worth it IMO.

Just wondering - why not look at an ISF? Can be had in your budget, and they run forever with no problems (literally no common problems). Only routine maintenance, and fuel and brakes aren't nearly as bad as a C63 haha. I've had one for a couple years now and it's been absolutely bulletproof.

It should be noted that both of these cars have a useless back seat, but if you're looking at a C32, I assume that isn't an issue.
    Last edited by bjstare; 10-10-2018 at 06:27 PM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This is what I was gonna say. Just make sure it's 2011+ or has head bolts done already. If you really want to make sure it's taken care of, lifter buckets (?) are the other common problem.

The cost of brakes and fuel will bring tears to your eyes, but worth it IMO.

Just wondering - why not look at an ISF? Can be had in your budget, and they run forever with no problems (literally no common problems). Only routine maintenance, and fuel and brakes aren't nearly as bad as a C63 haha. I've had one for a couple years now and it's been absolutely bulletproof.
    +1 for ISF, I’ve been searching for one for a while.

My Ride
    Axis powers

As I get older, the more I dislike RHD vehicles, unless it's something super special I don't see the appeal of being difficult to drive in a LHD country
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I have a M3 sedan with your name all over it, all the major “regular” issues have been attended to

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    I have a M3 sedan with your name all over it, all the major “regular” issues have been attended to
    Rod bearings? What other issues are there? Curious as I've often thought about getting an E9x M3.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quick feedback. Thx.

C63: Concerned about head bolt issues. Plus id want the 2012+ MY and thats now the top of my budget. Had considered a cls63 or clk (not a sedan) but again, the head bolt concern. And both are higher on the budget for an aging car.

Isf, m3: Both have too much residual value. My desire is not to have a "vintage" car but if I can get a lower mileage one for 10k, the savings are enticing. If I'm going to spend my budget then there are plenty of vehicles I could pick... They just tend to also have close to 100k and id prefer something along the lines of 50k. 2012 a6, xfr, 2011+ s4 all making the grade. Even a 2016+ a3 is a consideration.... Tuned, they are quick. Masarati is likely far too unreliable and expensive to fix.

E55: Actually this has been one I've considered. To get one with 100k or lower usually is still upwards of 20-25k and I'm not sure I want to spend that on a vehicle that's aging so much. Still, it's on the list. There is one in Edmonton right now with 10Xk on it and they had it down under 20k a couple of weeks ago. (Plus it has been modded to an apparent 600+ HP. That's both a good and bad thing.)

Intercooler: I am aware of the pump but wasnt aware there are other common issues with the system. By "kill me" do you mean a $500 bill here and there or do you mean its truely going to likely cost thousands and thousands?

RHD: they arent. They are lhd imported from Germany to Japan and then here. I have zero interest in a RHD.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 10-11-2018 at 08:36 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

^^so when you say “fast” ...

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Rod bearings? What other issues are there? Curious as I've often thought about getting an E9x M3.
    Rod bearing are more fear mongering than anything, just keep an eye on oil reports, throttle actuators are on par cost wise (if not more) and also secondary air pumps, I have done updated actuators with lifetime warranty, and deleted air pumps and added a tune so no cel. Easily $6k worth of crap that’s now good for life of the car. Also fresh brakes... those are NOT cheap haha
    Last edited by ercchry; 10-10-2018 at 06:47 PM.

ISF would be great.. If you could actually find a low km one for a good price.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

C63 6.2L V8 not only has headbolt issues, they also have lifter wear issues that destroys the engine. Lifters need to be replaced from the SLS ones. This was never recalled or acknowledged publicly. That was the primary reason I sold my Black Series, as the failure happened to a friend’s C63BS within a few numbers of my VIN. If you’re lucky, it’s fixed under warranty, MB uses the SLS lifters and new cams to fix the problem. It’s a 5 fig job to fix properly. When it fails, car will start misfiring then proceed to drop a valve.

As for C32 intercoolers, they were a $1500 part OEM. They last a year or 2 before leaking again. Both mine and Kenny’s leaked like crazy in the 3 years we owned the car. I’m sure there’s aftermarket replacements by now. My car had a special problem from the leaky intercooler. A MAP sensor past the intercooler was fouled from the coolant and read incorrect. The car does not throw a code when that happens and the car will once in a while accelerate on its own at low speeds. It took 3 months for Lone Star randomly swapping parts to fix it because it was so difficult to replicate.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    ^^so when you say “fast” ...
    Definition of fast is different for everyone!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    What’s funny is that the 32s weren’t really that much slower than the E9X M3s.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    To me, fast enough is a low 13s quarter mile. I lust for more, but realize I need to sacrifice in the name of comfort and price.

Thanks for the info Rage. If they have chronic issues I might reconsider...

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    What’s funny is that the 32s weren’t really that much slower than the E9X M3s.
    Fast is more than just a straight line... if we’re talking just quarter mile you’d be better off with a 335 tuned

Edit: I had to look it up... is this another one of your “in Calgary because forced induction” comparisons?! Cause 4.0 0-60 and 12.4 1/4 compared to 5.0 and 13.4 is pretty far apart!
    Last edited by ercchry; 10-10-2018 at 09:44 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Well if you wanna play bench racer, I’ll do some digging tomorrow too.

I’ve ran a prepped E90 on an autox track, also driven a couple of E92s, it’s not much faster than my old SLK32. It sounds way nicer, which is why I’m always on a lookout for an E93.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah, I’m not too sure how well an E90 would do at autox, they don’t really shine till you can stretch your legs a little. I could see them being close there, the short wheel base on an slk would also help

Does anyone know how good a c55 amg would be compared to c32?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast