Quantcast
Dominion - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Dominion

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Default Dominion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny6aqdFy9SI

I knows there's a few liked minded members on Beyond, so I thought I'd share this on here, it's a youtube stream of Dominion, a new documentary that is basically 2 hours of secret video of the torture that different types of animals endure in the agricultural industry all around the world.

I watched most of it and tried to view it from a perspective of a meat-eater. I just couldn't wrap my head around the acceptance of this stuff that goes on.

If you're a meat eater, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. If you know me in real life, you know I'm not one of these crazy judgemental wackjob vegans. You would never even guess it until I told you.

I struggled with guilt for many years because I knew this sort of thing happened every day but watching these videos remind me of why I choose not to eat meat anymore.

Most of the justification I've read is that "Oh this only happens in certain factories, most are humane and regulated and inspected by the government", I don't buy it. The film actually give reasons why those are lies. Even in the "most humane" of them, I can't wrap my head around how someone can spend all day forcing animals to slaughter and then actually doing it. I'd be interested in seeing studies on the psychological health of slaughterhouse workers.
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 10-10-2018 at 10:24 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

Vegans

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

As a meat eater the answer is, I don't think about it. If I saw this kind of thing happening right in front of me I might less meat, but just watching videos creates some cognitive dissonance. I would never go full vegetarian or vegan though. I enjoy the taste, but mostly the convenience, of meat to much to not eat it.

My Ride
    ute

I desperately love being at the top of the food chain. It's delicious up here.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I desperately love being at the top of the food chain. It's delicious up here.
    Haha exactly what I was going to say.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Haha exactly what I was going to say.
    I've actually had this conversation with my wife recently...ya I get the whole eat animals because you can, trust me.

But what are your views on what happens after this life? Are you atheist? Or do you believe in an afterlife where you will be judged on how you've treated not only other human beings but animals as well? I suppose if you're an atheist then none of this really matters, you could just do what you want and not face any spiritual consequences.

If you are religious, I'd be curious to know what it says.

I was raised Christian but I know for fact the way factory farming has become, this is not okay at all.
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 10-13-2018 at 03:45 PM.

My Ride
    ute

Being an atheist and a carnivore has made me a perfect apex predator.

I'm trying to think of a rationale thought that has followed the opening "I was raised Christian..."

Still looking.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Being an atheist and a carnivore has made me a perfect apex predator.

I'm trying to think of a rationale thought that has followed the opening "I was raised Christian..."

Still looking.
    Well my point was just that most Christians will argue that its their God given right to eat animals.

My Ride
    Silverado

Christian and vegan. You must be a blast at parties.

What do you try to convert people to first?

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post

Didn't say I was Christian just that I was raised Christian... And no, I don't try and convert people with anything. Neither is that the point of this thread. Just wanted to have a conversation about this topic instead of talking about cars all the time... Why you being so defensive lol

I actually DONT have these conversations in real life that's why I'm asking here. I have no interest in converting people, my choices are for my own personal reasons. I'm not a militant vegan.

I ate meat up until I turned 37, for no other reason other than that's what I was taught. Just curious why you die hards do it...
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 10-13-2018 at 07:19 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

I'd have better luck talking Tesla with gestalt over talking meat with a vegan

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I'd have better luck talking Tesla with gestalt over talking meat with a vegan
    isn't that the truth.

No offense OP but what seriously is your point here? Ethical? Spiritual? Because those arguments hold no water. Health and Wellness? Because unless you have some pretty specific problems, that won't help and isn't the likely cause. Hubris? That's about all I can think that makes sense since you wonder about the mental health of workers and call people who eat meat "die hards" like we're just not enlightened yet.

I swear to God, only a vegan can start preaching while insisting they're not preaching. Hahaha
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 10-15-2018 at 09:48 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

I'll admit I didn't watch it and just skipped through bits of the first section with the pig farm. Oh, and I'm a meat eater of course. Agnostic if it matters. :P

I don't really see how anyone, no matter their viewpoint, would benefit from documentaries like this.
    It only serves to continue the echo chamber that the makers most certainly live in. They have a view point and they cherry picked data/info/footage to make it look true.

Having been on various animal farms from small to large, I've never seen conditions or treatment like in that video.
    Sure they aren't living in the laps of luxury, but they are livestock so... Humans were made to eat meat and animals happen to be made of it. Unfortunately the reality is there is far too many humans, so it becomes necessary to cram more animals onto whatever land is available. Not that I'm saying shitty places as seen in that video don't exist, I'm sure they do. It just isn't the norm, as they would love for you to believe. As crazy as it sounds, every farmer I've met loves and cares about animals. Especially their own.

My personal opinion is, I think the whole anti-meat thing is just a way for people to feel good about themselves and that they have "done something". If these people really cared they would tackle the real issue, which is human overpopulation. Until that is solved we are doomed. Just give it another 100 years and we will be living like the pigs in that video, assuming human civilization lasts that much longer (unlikely).

Want an even crazier opinion? Why do you think that plants, which are a living species, don't matter and are perfectly OK to kill and eat? There has even been some rather interesting research showing potential for intelligence in plants. So how does one decide which life forms matter and which don't? Rhetorical question, I already know it's decided by whether or not it shares similar bodily functions with us. And more importantly, if it is cute.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Bob, this satire pretty much nails it:

“Whether it’s veganism, my workout routine, or my political beliefs, I always make sure people know their way of doing things is inferior to mine,” he said. “It’s like I always say: teach a man to fish, and you reduce the chances of maintaining a sustainable ecosystem.”

https://thehardtimes.net/news/straig...cdlb4_rN6Ijkp4
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Plants’ Response To Being Eaten Is Very Similar To Our Response To Pain, Researchers Prove

Article here:
    https://allthatsinteresting.com/plan...ense-mechanism
    ---