Quantcast
Pixel 2 - chrome using insane data? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Pixel 2 - chrome using insane data?

My Ride
    4x4

Default Pixel 2 - chrome using insane data?

Looking for some ideas...

Phone is using incredible amounts of data and I can't figure out why.

Android says 25gigs of mobile data used by chrome this month. 3 days left...
    Chrome itself says 5.5gig,

Data savers are turned on on both phone and chrome. I don't even get how it's using anywhere close to that, it's only open for an hour or two a day, mostly use Facebook and Reddit these days...

I'm pretty confused here, anyone have an idea what's going on and what to look for?

My Ride
    RSTi

Obvious stuff first, do you have the phone set to only update apps when on a wireless connection?

What apps are using the most data?

My Ride
    4x4

Yup, obvious stuff done.

Chrome - 28 gigs says Android. Facebook, Reddit, all the others are down in the 2-3 gig range.

I'm not streaming anything, I'd expect it would be around 5-6gigs based on mostly what I've downloaded to the phone from thingiverse this month (which is 98% of my use, 2 forums that I check every few days etc)

My Ride
    RSTi

I have no idea how Chrome could be at 28 gigs with only an hour or two a day of use...that's crazy.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

What does your cell company say you've used?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What does your cell company say you've used?

^
    word, if you're with Rogers then download the app and it'll tell you within the last 12 hours how much data you've used against your monthly plan.

Are you sure you're looking at mobile data and not WiFi data usage? My WiFi data usage is always like 30-40GB and it's the first one the phone shows you. A big part of that is auto uploads.

At any rate, ignore anything the phone tells you and find out from your carrier, that's all that matters.

Also, set limits/warnings in the future for data so this doesn't happen again without you having the chance to investigate first.

My Ride
    4x4

I'm at well over 30 mobile this month. This is why im asking I'm burning my 15gigs within 2 weeks - this seems absolutely insane given I'm not streaming rarely watch movies/videos - most of the browsing I do is text based.

I keep thinking I must have a bad plugin or something but I don't even see how to check plugins on mobile(?).

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    I'm at well over 30 mobile this month. This is why im asking I'm burning my 15gigs within 2 weeks - this seems absolutely insane given I'm not streaming rarely watch movies/videos - most of the browsing I do is text based.

I keep thinking I must have a bad plugin or something but I don't even see how to check plugins on mobile(?).
    What does your carrier say you have used when you call them?

I would also try:

- Go into the Chrome App settings (long press - then "info) -->Data Usage -> Disable Background Data and disable unrestricted data usage. This will also tell you if the data usage is foreground or background - what does it say is using the 20GB?

- In the same menu, go to Storage and clear cache and clear user data. You may have to re-sign into chrome after. If there is something running in there that shouldn't be, this should kill it. You can also try force-stopping the app after you clear both and reboot the phone.

- You can also try backing up your phone and just doing a factory reset, which is all google support will tell you to do

My Ride
    4x4

Koodo says it's about a ½gig more than my phone's meter.

Background data is turned off in chrome, data saver is on in Android that should also suppress background data use(?).

Koodo was about as helpful as they get, factory reset or we'll give you a loaner and send it for repair.

I'll give the clearing cache / etc a go, haven't done that since I got this phone, so probably due.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Koodo says it's about a ½gig more than my phone's meter.

Background data is turned off in chrome, data saver is on in Android that should also suppress background data use(?).

Koodo was about as helpful as they get, factory reset or we'll give you a loaner and send it for repair.

I'll give the clearing cache / etc a go, haven't done that since I got this phone, so probably due.
    Also make sure Chrome isn't allowed to use unrestricted data - it's in the same menu.

Data Saver should be suppressing background data, yes. You should also be setting data warnings and data caps so it's impossible for this to ever happen again. In the data usage menu --> "Data Warning & Limit"

Glad Koodo is helping you out - but a "repair" is probably going to do nothing as this is 99.99% sure a software issue. AFAIK the hardware in a phone can't just choose to draw data without software. A new phone will probably fix it but only because of the fresh install.

If clearing the cache/data doesn't work, next step is a factory reset - just make sure you have backup turned on and check that it's happened recently. I'd be very surprised if that didn't fix it.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-12-2018 at 10:42 AM.