Quantcast
Distracted Driving ticket after asking for extension - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Distracted Driving ticket after asking for extension

Default Distracted Driving ticket after asking for extension

If this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move.

So, I got the ticket, 3 demerits + $287 fine. whatever. I went to the JoP and the teller told me that the JoP doesn't even look at these specific tickets if I wanted to get it reduced or demerits taken off.

I was given a few options:
    1. pay the ticket now
    2. get extension to pay
    3. book a court date and get it reduced there, argue, etc.

I didn't want to book a court date because that just felt more inconvenient taking time off work to pay the idiot tax lol. Anyways, I opted for option 2, she asked for how much time, I said next year some time. I think I was given until Jan 21/19.

The more I think about it, the more I don't want the demerits affecting my insurance premiums for the next 3 years. Here's my question:

By asking for an extension to pay, have I already effectively admitted a guilty plea? I'm strongly reconsidering option 3 strictly to remove demerits or even chance the officer not showing up and having the ticket tossed. If not, is there still a way I can contact the courts before Jan. 21/19 to book a court date and settle everything then?

Thanks for your input!

My Ride
    KTM

Quote Originally Posted by jltabot View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move.

So, I got the ticket, 3 demerits + $287 fine. whatever. I went to the JoP and the teller told me that the JoP doesn't even look at these specific tickets if I wanted to get it reduced or demerits taken off.

I was given a few options:
    1. pay the ticket now
    2. get extension to pay
    3. book a court date and get it reduced there, argue, etc.

I didn't want to book a court date because that just felt more inconvenient taking time off work to pay the idiot tax lol. Anyways, I opted for option 2, she asked for how much time, I said next year some time. I think I was given until Jan 21/19.

The more I think about it, the more I don't want the demerits affecting my insurance premiums for the next 3 years. Here's my question:

By asking for an extension to pay, have I already effectively admitted a guilty plea? I'm strongly reconsidering option 3 strictly to remove demerits or even chance the officer not showing up and having the ticket tossed. If not, is there still a way I can contact the courts before Jan. 21/19 to book a court date and settle everything then?

Thanks for your input!
    I think you have admitted guilt but maybe someone else can clarify.

I once had a ticket lapse, I believe after the due date you are also assumed guilty. If I recall the officer submitted his portion of the ticket the day of or after the due date somehow it still ended up on my record. I was able to fight it and won but was read the riot act and told that this rarely if ever happens.....

You should be able to call in and ask I would think.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

In a couple of other insurance and ticket threads on the forum, it's been recommended to always get demerits taken off no matter what as a single point will affect your premiums but you already know that.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

I unfortunately got one of these tickets ( stupid lapse of judgement) and trust me you do not want of of these of your license / abstract . My rates have shot up about 40%....From what I was told the insurance companies treat these tickets like An Impaired. They are now rating them as such from all the injury/ accidents /deaths associated with Distracted Driving. If it is possible to have the demerits removed ( and have it not show ) do everything in your power to do so trust me. Hard lesson learned
    Last edited by bourge73; 10-11-2018 at 05:52 PM.
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by bourge73 View Post
    I unfortunately got one of these tickets ( stupid lapse of judgement) and trust me you do not want of of these of your license / abstract . My rates have shot up about 40%....From what I was told the insurance companies treat these tickets like An Impaired. They are now rating them as such from all the injury/ accidents /deaths associated with Distracted Driving. If it is possible to have the demerits removed ( and have it not show ) do everything in your power to do so trust me. Hard lesson learned
    They treat speeding tickets like that too. Huge premium increases. Multiple cars over 3 years easily 5-10x the cost of fighting it. It’s free money.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

Demerits removed doesn't remove the fine from your abstract. You have to get the actual charge reduced to something else.

Oh, and get off your damn phone when you drive.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Is it the demerits or the actual tickets that boost the insurance rates? I've read demerits have nothing to do with insurance on different boards, only with your ability to have a license if you get too many of them. But with demerits there are tickets so they kind of go hand in hand.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Yeah my premium went up 30-50% (not really sure, don't want to ask) after I got one. My cars are easily $400 more than my wifes and she had an at fault accident. I fought mine but the JP in Airdrie said he doesn't reduce it to zero and that anything is a distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
    Demerits removed doesn't remove the fine from your abstract. You have to get the actual charge reduced to something else.

First, I believe that has been shown as incorrect in another sub. If the ticket has no demerits, it was explained that it wont show on an abstract. However you could be right it is because they change the nature of the ticket to get it to 0 demerits.
    Second, I got one for reading a piece of paper at a light.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    Is it the demerits or the actual tickets that boost the insurance rates? I've read demerits have nothing to do with insurance on different boards, only with your ability to have a license if you get too many of them. But with demerits there are tickets so they kind of go hand in hand.
    I think it is the actual ticket, but the kicker is that a ticket with demerits is what shows up on your abstract not one without. Unsure if that's true or not but that is the way I understood it in the insurance thread.
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 10-12-2018 at 07:55 AM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

3 demerits + $287 fine + 50% insurance increase (Basically $1,000 -> $1,500) if I got a distracted driving ticket? Holy fuck.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    M3P

I had a friend get one of these tickets. He tried to fight it, the judge told him to pound salt. The judge berated him and said there is no arguing distracted driving tickets for any reason. Probably pretty embarassing in a full court room . YMMV but from what I remember he was super annoyed that he spent his morning waiting to speak to a Judge and was dismissed in less than a minute.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    I had a friend get one of these tickets. He tried to fight it, the judge told him to pound salt. The judge berated him and said there is no arguing distracted driving tickets for any reason. Probably pretty embarassing in a full court room . YMMV but from what I remember he was super annoyed that he spent his morning waiting to speak to a Judge and was dismissed in less than a minute.
    Really though how do you fight it? You got pulled over because an officer obviously caught you with your phone in hand. Your only recourse is to argue the officer made a mistake which is extremely difficult even if your name is Saul Goodman. Distracted driving is heading into drunk driving territory and the courts aren't going to be easy on you. If you have hands free there's really no excuse for getting a distracted driving ticket.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post

Ya well at least I will admit to when I do something wrong....
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Reminded me of this thread:
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/357...For-Scratching

Classic Beyond troll feeding banter in there

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    3 demerits + $287 fine + 50% insurance increase (Basically $1,000 -> $1,500) if I got a distracted driving ticket? Holy fuck.
    They best part is you don't even have to be distracted, or even have your phone in your car - they can slap you with that if they even suspect it or think they saw something.

It's also not illegal to smoke while driving, have a scalding hot coffee, or have 5 kids in the back screaming and throwing things at you. Just don't put your hands near your face haha.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by bourge73 View Post
    Ya well at least I will admit to when I do something wrong....
    hahaha, I did have a #3 that said "and you're one to talk" but I removed it when I responded to other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    They best part is you don't even have to be distracted, or even have your phone in your car - they can slap you with that if they even suspect it or think they saw something.

It's also not illegal to smoke while driving, have a scalding hot coffee, or have 5 kids in the back screaming and throwing things at you. Just don't put your hands near your face haha.
    Yep, see mine. I guess in the actual wording I was guilty. Fair enough. But that's a bunch of bullshit. What if you're looking at a paper map, or an address on an invoice of where to deliver to. 10 and 2 and nothing else hey? I actually try and make eye-contact with cops now. Probably seems sketch as fuck but that way when they look, I'm already looking at them.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

not once did I mention I was talking on my phone....It was a distracted driving ticket.

So I recently got hit with one of these. The kicker was that I wasn't even on my phone or had it in my hand. I drive with my hand on the gear shifter. I must have looked down at something and from behind it looked like I was on my phone. Any advice? How can a cop give you a ticket for something he thinks he saw?

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by superflychief View Post
    So I recently got hit with one of these. The kicker was that I wasn't even on my phone or had it in my hand. I drive with my hand on the gear shifter. I must have looked down at something and from behind it looked like I was on my phone. Any advice? How can a cop give you a ticket for something he thinks he saw?
    This is the issue with this law IMO. If they think your distracted doesn't matter. I think unless you have a dash-cam that also shows inside the car you weren't distracted your SOL. Guy behind me in line to talk to the JP took the phone out of his pocket to give to his passenger to make a call at a light. Got a ticket too.
    Cos...

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    hahaha, I did have a #3 that said "and you're one to talk" but I removed it when I responded to other people.

Yep, see mine. I guess in the actual wording I was guilty. Fair enough. But that's a bunch of bullshit. What if you're looking at a paper map, or an address on an invoice of where to deliver to. 10 and 2 and nothing else hey? I actually try and make eye-contact with cops now. Probably seems sketch as fuck but that way when they look, I'm already looking at them.
    Yeah I agree with the law in principle but the implementation of it is complete BS, just another revenue generator. Low on your quota? Just pull some people over and accuse them of touching their phone - most won't fight it.

I have a complicated Infotainment system in my car + Android Auto - the fact that I can play with that as much as I want while driving (including typing in a long address) and not touch my phone at a red light is ridiculous.

Mostly what bothers me is what *is* allowed, including dozens of things that are exponentially more distracting than a glance at a phone at a red light. Either you're allowed to drive distracted and with hazards, or you're not - it shouldn't be centered around smartphones, at least in my opinion.