Quantcast
BMW brakes? Which ones? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: BMW brakes? Which ones?

My Ride
    changes every year

Default BMW brakes? Which ones?

My F10 535 needs front brakes. Obviously going to replace with new rotors and pads. I was looking at rockauto for parts, but unsure what to get.

The other thing is that I bought extended warranty with the car, if I change the brakes myself, would that void any kind of brake/suspension warranty?

Little help please. If you have other suggestions I'd like to hear those too.

Edit: I just looked at all of my papers from when I bought it in june, my inspection(from calgary bmw) checks the brakes are good. I've only driven 4k since owning it and the brakes started grinding they are so bad.

Do I have any recourse on this?
    Last edited by 03ozwhip; 10-13-2018 at 05:49 PM.

My Ride
    changes every year

Updated original post...

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

' my inspection(from calgary bmw) checks the brakes are good. I've only driven 4k since owning it and the brakes started grinding they are so bad. '

No, they consider it a consumable item and after this much time and mileage, youre SOL.

Also, changing brakes are considered consumables - like changing oil.

Its also unlikely they would warranty brakes unless a caliper started gushing fluid for eg.

What year F10?

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What year F10?
    2014 @J.M.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    ' my inspection(from calgary bmw) checks the brakes are good. I've only driven 4k since owning it and the brakes started grinding they are so bad. '

No, they consider it a consumable item and after this much time and mileage, youre SOL.

Also, changing brakes are considered consumables - like changing oil.

Its also unlikely they would warranty brakes unless a caliper started gushing fluid for eg.
    I've only had it for 4 months and 4k kms. You're telling me that they say they're good and they only last 4k is acceptable?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    2014 @J.M.

- - - Updated - - -

I've only had it for 4 months and 4k kms. You're telling me that they say they're good and they only last 4k is acceptable?
    Yep - they have no way to know if you've abused it. If you went back a week or two later, then MAYBE.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Yep - they have no way to know if you've abused it. If you went back a week or two later, then MAYBE.
    I get that, but my thoughts are, at least they should have wrote on the inspection that the brakes are close to wearing out instead of checking them off as good, and me having to change them only a few months after buying it.

Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that, but I dunno man, its shitty.

My Ride
    V8s

I get that, but my thoughts are, at least they should have wrote on the inspection that the brakes are close to wearing out instead of checking them off as good, and me having to change them only a few months after buying it.

Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that, but I dunno man, its shitty.

Did you buy the car at Calgary BMW? If so, that inspection is about as good as used toilet paper. I'd only trust an inspection done by an objective third party.

It's a moot point either way. I agree that since brakes are a consumable and it's been a few months, you'll have a tough time getting anything from them. As far as they know, you autocrossed it once a week since purchase.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Did you buy the car at Calgary BMW? If so, that inspection is about as good as used toilet paper. I'd only trust an inspection done by an objective third party.

It's a moot point either way. I agree that since brakes are a consumable and it's been a few months, you'll have a tough time getting anything from them. As far as they know, you autocrossed it once a week since purchase.
    Ya that's horseshit. I've bought and serviced lots of BMWs from them so I'm unimpressed. Whatever, I ordered new brakes from rockauto.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Did you do a visual inspection to make sure the brakes are worn? Did the sensor go off telling you change pads? There could be a rock in there making the noise.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post
    Did you do a visual inspection to make sure the brakes are worn? Did the sensor go off telling you change pads? There could be a rock in there making the noise.
    Oh ya the pads are gone and crumbling.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Did the sensor go off? Someone could have put some cheap crap in there before they sold it. But I looked at rock auto for brakes for my truck ... they had some really cheap stuff in there but was not sure of the quality...

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post
    Did the sensor go off? Someone could have put some cheap crap in there before they sold it. But I looked at rock auto for brakes for my truck ... they had some really cheap stuff in there but was not sure of the quality...
    The sensor was showing about 2500km to service, but I heard grinding and decided to check it since I just put the winter wheels on, thought it might have something to do with the dust shield or a rock or something..

I checked out all the brands and from what I could tell(they separate them by cheap, oem/oem+ and performance) and the ones I got were in the oem+ category, and based off reviews, people seem to love them.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

I would call Calgary BMW at least. Even without them helping out on Goodwill grounds, usually their service department is subsidized on brake jobs. They always had great pricing on brake replacements, even compared to indy shops

got a f10 535 also, I bought all my brakes from autopartsway.ca and germanparts.ca, some Zimmermans for rotors and whatever oem pads are on sale, and usually get the sensors from autopartsway.

My Ride
    changes every year

Ya I ordered from rockauto so we will see what happens. I did actually talk to my salesman to see if I can find the right channel to talk to about it. Might as well.

My Ride
    changes every year

Well an update to the thread...I ordered the brakes, still waiting for them to get here....however...

Dropped the car off at BMW, they said that the outer pads were destroyed but the inner pad was fine...ok...unsure why, but that's what they saw...

So, no arguments, no issue at all, they replaced the rotors pads and sensors, without me even asking for it, they just told me they were doing it.....honestly it was the best service hands down I have received anywhere...was it due to them knowing it was their fault? I dunno, but it's done...

Now I'm out $400ish for everything though, so theres that lol anyone need F10 535 rotors and pads?

My Ride
    This and that.

Ship it back for refund.

My Ride
    changes every year

Ya I'll be out $100. But better than 400. Its more than likely what I'll do.

Well an update to the thread...I ordered the brakes, still waiting for them to get here....however...

Dropped the car off at BMW, they said that the outer pads were destroyed but the inner pad was fine...ok...unsure why, but that's what they saw...

So, no arguments, no issue at all, they replaced the rotors pads and sensors, without me even asking for it, they just told me they were doing it.....honestly it was the best service hands down I have received anywhere...was it due to them knowing it was their fault? I dunno, but it's done...

Now I'm out $400ish for everything though, so theres that lol anyone need F10 535 rotors and pads?
    Well hopefully they serviced everything as well. The only reason the pads should be worn unevenly that extreme is due to the floating caliper pins seizing up. Good idea to clean and grease them regularly.

In the future I wouldn't shy away from cheaper parts from Rockauto. The price doesn't always dictate quality. OEM specs are OEM specs. When it comes to BMW's I am mainly concerned with dust. Always get low dust pads.