Quantcast
Do you get the flu shot? 2018 edition - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Will you get the flu shot this year?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

79 56.03%
  • No

62 43.97%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you get the flu shot? 2018 edition

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Low chance of getting flu. But go believe the propaganda.
    Yeah, but I've got autism now, so I don't know any better.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    The one thing I see, it may not help you THIS year either but it is adding that anti-body to the repository of your immune system. So I figure if they screw it up in say 3-4 years, but this years flu shot is the flu that goes around, I should be better covered than someone who skips it.
    Well, my understanding is that isn't really how it works though. The flu evolves. So the flu you get a shot for, they have a specific genetic code for it. And in 3-4 years, it will have evolved, so your immunity will be useless for the new bug.

I think flu-shots are much more important in places where sanitation is lacking or among large groups of vulnerable people (hospitals, kids, elderly). Even since growing up as a kid, the cleanliness of EVERYTHING in society has skyrocketed.

When was the last time someone DIED of the flu that wasn't an idiot who didn't go see the doctor when they realized they were more than just feeling "under the weather"?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Also to add to hitemp's explanation, each flu shot is also a best guess effort as to what the major strains are based on trends and probability for that year. It's absolutely quite possible that we get hit with some weird strain that nobody anticipated and therefore vaccinated for.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I just got my shot and I was not injected in the ass.

Interesting stats. So far 21 yes and 18 no. I did not think the no would be so high.

Flu shot is only ~30% effective on average.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I don't believe in the flu shot at all, they're just throwing shit at a dartboard from what it seems. However, my child is vaccinated otherwise. I had a rager flu last year, bar none the most aggressive illness I've ever experienced. Buddy on my hockey team is a Dr. here and he said it killed a couple people my age BUT the shot would have been useless for it anyway so......
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    I know 60% of the time it works every time.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I don't believe in the flu shot at all, they're just throwing shit at a dartboard from what it seems. However, my child is vaccinated otherwise. I had a rager flu last year, bar none the most aggressive illness I've ever experienced. Buddy on my hockey team is a Dr. here and he said it killed a couple people my age BUT the shot would have been useless for it anyway so......
    Now take this with a grain of salt as it’s just what I’ve heard from someone in healthcare but in general East Asian countries get hit first and the flu migrates later to North America so at least for North Americans it’s not exactly blindly throwing darts at a dart board. They monitor flu strains in these East Asian countries and try to immunize based on that. Not a perfect science for sure but better than nothing IMO

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Better odds than most things in life.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    What are you trying to show with that WHO link. Not following it. Interesting data though.
    Cos...

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Now take this with a grain of salt as it’s just what I’ve heard from someone in healthcare but in general East Asian countries get hit first and the flu migrates later to North America so at least for North Americans it’s not exactly blindly throwing darts at a dart board. They monitor flu strains in these East Asian countries and try to immunize based on that. Not a perfect science for sure but better than nothing IMO
    Oh I know there's research to an educated guess behind it but still, they're just playing odds - I don't see the value.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    toyota MR2

Never gotten one. Probably had the flu twice in the last 10 year.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Quote Originally Posted by thinmyster View Post
    Never gotten one. Probably had the flu twice in the last 10 year.
    Same here, have maybe had the flu once in the past 20 years. Just lucky, who knows? And all after putting our kids through K-12 and them and the wife not getting the flu shots either.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride

Last year I learned that if you think you had the flu, you probably haven't. After I had it I fucking knew it and I immediately realized how it kills old people and people who are already unwell as nothing has ever laid me out that badly.

All of that aside, I just don't understand the value in injecting yourself with something that might protect you from something if they happened to pick the right strains.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Last year I learned that if you think you had the flu, you probably haven't. After I had it I fucking knew it and I immediately realized how it kills old people and people who are already unwell as nothing has ever laid me out that badly.

All of that aside, I just don't understand the value in injecting yourself with something that might protect you from something if they happened to pick the right strains.
    As they say it’s not for you it’s for the weak you mention. According to the CDC it is working to reduce deaths and according to them on the years they successfully predict the strain the risk of flu in the US population decreases between 40 and 60%. Worth taking that gamble IMO

Hard to find data that suggests a vaccine program doesn’t help.

Some people say things like “the vaccine doesn’t mean you won’t carry it it just means you won’t get sick” while true, who is more likely to spread the flu? The asymptomatic person or the person sneezing everywhere......

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The life you save is probably not your own. Healthy adults rarely die from it any more, but complications from flu kill seniors all the time. And of course people with weaker immune or respiratory systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Axis powers

Wife works in health care so it's mandatory for her, normally just tag a long cause why not

I had the flu when I as younger, I think around 6, I missed almost a month of school. For those saying they're better after a week or so, that's not the flu
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    Wife works in health care so it's mandatory for her, normally just tag a long cause why not

I had the flu when I as younger, I think around 6, I missed almost a month of school. For those saying they're better after a week or so, that's not the flu
    I'll agree it is not a 1 day thing, but you are substantively better after a week. At least I was. I was probably 'under the weather' for going on 6-8 weeks but no way could I be calling in sick that long. So The 4-5 days or whatever I had to die at home (or last year in a hotel) then dealt with it. Probably killed my kidneys with all the dayquil / nyquil I was taking to survive.
    Cos...

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

Everyone in my household will be getting the shot, mainly to protect my mother. She was hospitalized last year with Influenza B and holy shit did it hit her hard and sudden. Sunday she was fine with just a little cough, Monday spikerS finds her in bed unable to stand.
    Originally posted by rage2 in 2002
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    The life you save is probably not your own. Healthy adults rarely die from it any more, but complications from flu kill seniors all the time. And of course people with weaker immune or respiratory systems.
    This is one of the key points I was trying to make earlier.

Most people who don't get the flu shot know very little about it, haven't bothered to read any of the medical science surrounding it, and don't even consider that they can be fine but pass it along to someone who isn't fine. I got mine yesterday and it literally took 3 minutes out of my day with no appointment.

My coworkers who don't get it are all older people who "heard from a friend" that it can give you autism, or similar stories like that. They cling onto those things instead of what doctors tell them and here we are haha. Then that same doctor would tell them they need major surgery and they suddenly believe them again - go figure.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast