Quantcast
Do you get the flu shot? 2018 edition - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Will you get the flu shot this year?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

79 56.03%
  • No

62 43.97%
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you get the flu shot? 2018 edition

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Do you get the flu shot? 2018 edition

Flu shots are again available across Alberta for free starting today.

Do you get one?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yeah they set up a clinic at work, so there really isn't an excuse not to get one for me. Scheduled for the 29th.

I said no because I don't actively get one. If its convenient I will get one though, like if work has a clinic or something.

I don't really see it as effective for me as the last 2 times I got it I still got the flu. I know, dumb anecdotal experience but that's my justification.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Will be getting one like normal.

It is honestly unbelievable to me the amount of people I know who think the flu shot gave them the flu, or say something like "well I didn't get it last year and I didn't get sock" and then when presented with scientific/medical evidence they don't change their habits. These same people also don't understand it's not necessarily for their protection but for people with weak immune systems (elderly, children, sick people, etc.) Very selfish.

Also, I think a lot of people think they have the flu when really they have a cold, so they may think they either got sick from the flu shot (literally impossible) or they got a cold around the same time (it takes a while for the fly shot to become active) and think it's the flu from the flu shot. Further, there are different strains of the flu (the shot is a guess every year of which strains will be most prevalent) - so you still can get it, it's just far less likely and you didn't get it from the shot.

Get your flu shots people! Your anecdotal evidence about that one time you didn't get sick when you didn't get the shot is not medical science.

My Ride
    NC1

Flu shots ftw

I have gotten it every year since 10/2012. I got the flu first time 12/2011, and not knowing at the time, I actually thought I was gonna die. So I swear by it.

Last time I got the cold was 08/2017 so I’m due for something deathly. Can’t wait. Sickness always provides life perspective lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I have ever since we had a kid. Never needed it before that because my day to day life didn't expose me to very many people/places. After having one... fuck yes. She drags enough colds and shit from dayhome, I don't need a flu on top of it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I get it more for the other people in my life than for myself. I have lots of senior citizens in my family, and a few babies in the extended family, and for those groups, the flu can literally kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

In 2006 I activily paid $20 at a medical clinic in central London to get the flu shot.
    Here in Calgary its fooking free for everyone!! It blows my mind some people don't get it.

I have a pharmacist friend that is giving shots.. I might go to her clinic and insist she injects me in the buttocks.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I have ever since we had a kid. Never needed it before that because my day to day life didn't expose me to very many people/places.
    This. Didn't really pay attention or care enough when I was younger. Since I've had kids I've been pretty good about it.

My Ride
    Silverado

this will be my fourth year in a row. got the flu one time and it sucked, have gotten the shot since.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Been out with the flu for the past week.... full on adult flu is the fucking worst. 6 days later finally getting some energy back and no more body aches.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Got mine this morning. I was usually 50/50 if I got it each year. Normally I get the shot, then catch a cold the same week and feel bad for like a week. If I don't get the shot I usually can fight the cold better. However last year at a conference in Jasper I got the flu for the first time in years. Do not want to live that again. I'll deal with an extra bad cold for a few days to avoid that again.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Yeah it usually only takes one blast of the full on influenza to convince people to get their shot. The real McCoy flu is the worst! I got it a few years ago and during the haze of pain that had settled in over me for a week, I vowed to get that shot every damn year.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I don't get them, but I also hate everybody so that's a thing.

But in all seriousness, I'm never around kids or elderly, I have a large office space with little contact with anyone else, and currently live on my own.

If I had kids, I'd definitely get one.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Getting it later this month at work as per usual.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    DA6, R59

I honestly don't remember the last time I got the flu shot. My wife last year was sick while pregnant and had to go to the hospital because of early labor contractions, even the Doctor said the strains in the flu shot for the past 3 years were not the ones being detected and it wouldn't have done anything anyways. I am debating it this year with a little one around however undecided.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by jdmXSI View Post
    I honestly don't remember the last time I got the flu shot. My wife last year was sick while pregnant and had to go to the hospital because of early labor contractions, even the Doctor said the strains in the flu shot for the past 3 years were not the ones being detected and it wouldn't have done anything anyways. I am debating it this year with a little one around however undecided.
    It's true you can't ignore good hygiene because you get the shot. I asked my doctor last year how many times a day he washes his hands and how many gloves he goes through. He said about a box of 100 in a few days and washes his hands 20-50 times a day. I was like.... crap my 3-4 times a day is nothing I guess. So I've been a lot more diligent.

The one thing I see, it may not help you THIS year either but it is adding that anti-body to the repository of your immune system. So I figure if they screw it up in say 3-4 years, but this years flu shot is the flu that goes around, I should be better covered than someone who skips it.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Undecided for the wife, myself and the little dude. Typically we don't get them but with the little guy around we are rethinking it. Our GP is very "what ever" about it when we consulted him because of how often he's seen them miss the mark on the strains. The kid is up to date on all of his immunizations so the current discussion with our medical providers is the flu shot... I'm thinking we probably won't but I'll hold my vote back until we decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast