Quantcast
Classic car registration - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Classic car registration

Default Classic car registration

I am located in BC and planning to buy a 60s Camaro in Alberta.

The 1969 vin numbers were only 13 digits and the online searches are all for 17 digits. How do I do searches with the 13 digit vin?

From what I understand I take the bill of sale to an insurance place and insure the vehicle. Then I take the insurance info and bill of sale to a registry to put the car in my name.

Is this correct?

Any help would be appreciated as I am driving to Alberta to do this next week.

For under 17 digits I used a registry, they were able to pull records no problem.

I don’t think (even for a classic car) insurance cares about the bill of sale. You can insure it without a BOS. Then take BOS and insurance to registry.

I have 2 vehicles under classic (Legends) insurance. Both required a appraisal, and copy of BoS. May differ from place to place, just my experience.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

same process as JDM cars in terms of searches and registration etc. for classics if registering it as such, im sure is a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by sdubid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am located in BC and planning to buy a 60s Camaro in Alberta.

The 1969 vin numbers were only 13 digits and the online searches are all for 17 digits. How do I do searches with the 13 digit vin?

From what I understand I take the bill of sale to an insurance place and insure the vehicle. Then I take the insurance info and bill of sale to a registry to put the car in my name.

Is this correct?

Any help would be appreciated as I am driving to Alberta to do this next week.
    Are you taking it back to BC? Or are you moving to AB?

Taking car back to BC but it will be easier with ICBC if it is registered in my name

Will the Alberta registry do a search via phone or do I have to go in person?

It doesn't work that way. You'll purchase the vehicle, call ICBC and get a temp insurance to bring it home, go to the registry with the bill of sale, your licence and the insurance to buy an intransit permit.

You won't be registering it in AB.

As far as the search goes, yes some registries will take a credit card over the phone and do a lien search.

After further research the easiest way will be to get the Alberta registration into my name as ICBC will not accept just a bill of sale. Do I require an Alberta address for this?

Quote Originally Posted by sdubid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After further research the easiest way will be to get the Alberta registration into my name as ICBC will not accept just a bill of sale. Do I require an Alberta address for this?
    As I stated above, it doesn't work that way. If you want to register the car in your name, you have to prove three items. Photo ID, proof you're canadian or legally allowed to be in canada and proof of residency. Something mailed to your home in alberta, dated within the last 90 days with your name and address. If it is a PO Box you are using, you'd require residency for the PO Box and residency for the legal land.

In addition, you'll also require Alberta insurance.

I'd suggest talking to ICBC again. There are ways around the AB registration if you push hard enough.