Quantcast
Whats your work doing about Cannabis in terms of policies? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your work doing about Cannabis in terms of policies?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Driving is muscle memory, paying attention to other drivers isn't.
    Yeah the study I cited made that pretty clear...which makes it obvious that Eric didn't read passed the first paragraph

http://cmajopen.ca/content/6/4/E453.full
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    I guess we found the pot evangelizer on the board
    Yeah thats me.

You are the only person here disagreeing with me. If it is used as a medicine regularly as certain people use it, we do not lose the ability to drive.

The majority of the public that will be buying for fun these next few months, yes, absolutely, they are going to end up smoking some medicinal that they have no business smoking and lose their ability to find their vehicle, let alone drive it. This is going to be a disaster. I think people are going to be crashing cars getting DUI's coming back from dispensaries.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post

@CMW403 This is what I had in mind w.r.t. the mention of blood samples to be taken.

https://globalnews.ca/video/4544661/...-legalization/
    Oh thats perfect then.

You guys can ignore all the bitching I did in this thread. I don't care about the new laws.

I definitely am nervous to see how many people get high for their first time coming home from the dispensary and then drive, because thats where we will see some absolutely insane accidents.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by CMW403 View Post
    If it is used as a medicine regularly as certain people use it, we do not lose the ability to drive.
    Potentially within reason. Lots of over-the-counter drugs have warnings not to drive/operate heavy machinery, cannabis being no different.

Too bad there wasn't a breathalizer for weed. Then we could have @rage2 et al. go on a bender and see how high they have to be before hitting the limit. IIRC, the 0.08 legal limit for alcohol had everyone completely fucked.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah the study I cited made that pretty clear...which makes it obvious that Eric didn't read passed the first paragraph

http://cmajopen.ca/content/6/4/E453.full
    i actually skipped to the conclusion: motor skills are fine, and they drive like a bitch... so safer

but no, its not that simple. the washington study was pretty enlightening. noob smoker: gets worse... vetern: gets BETTER. how do you regulate this?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    but no, its not that simple. the washington study was pretty enlightening. noob smoker: gets worse... vetern: gets BETTER. how do you regulate this?
    Properly? They won't. They'll blanket ban it just like with everything else.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    i actually skipped to the conclusion: motor skills are fine, and they drive like a bitch... so safer

Thank God you aren't a scientist

Even reading just the Conclusion

We found that among young recreational cannabis users, a regular dose of cannabis had no effect on simple and learned tasks, but its use led to significant impairments on complex and novel driving-related tasks, as well as perceived driving ability and safety, for up to 5 hours after use. The present finding that the first 5 hours after cannabis use affected driving-related performance substantiates the recommendations of Canada’s Lower-Risk Cannabis Use Guidelines, which recommend waiting 6 hours after cannabis use before driving.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Properly? They won't. They'll blanket ban it just like with everything else.
    but if you are legitimately not intoxicated, but probably have "over the limit" levels of THC in your system, how would you ever feel comfortable driving? this isnt just a rec user issue, as medical patients will also be victims of this. taking huge doses of RSO to control pain, to make you fully functional cause lets be honest being distracted by the pain is going to be worse than "high" ... limited mobility probably too.

My Ride
    fiat abarth

the estimated amount of weed users is about 3mill. so the lowest common denominator, would be the so called "noob" users. laws are designed for safety for everyone. unless there is some way to "register" your functioning baseline level of THC then I would want laws designed around the people with more severe reactions.

sidenote: do we know if the THC limits for driving are going to be harmonized across canada or province based?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

But why even approach this like BAC? Why is there not a solution not based on a percentage of a substance in the system? This isn’t alcohol... let’s not treat it the same

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Straight from Transport Canada, you get high, 28 days before you can work on, or fly and aircraft.
    TC does not check for shit with regards to maintenance. I've worked in shops and hangars where techs are obviously smoking this (and others) at night or the weekends ..... even bragging about it the next day.

Tombstone engineering or processes - someone has to die from a marijuana-related aircraft crash/lapse in workmanship before this changes.

My Ride

The point is, alcohol effects everyone exactly the same. Actually to go even further, seasoned "alcohol veterans" have fucked up organs, meaning SMALL amounts of alcohol actually gets them far more fucked up then if someone who doesn't even drink came by and drank the same amount.
    Wow, that could not be further from the truth. Hard core alkis are the same as anyone else - you develop a tolerance.

During my time with the RCMP we saw people with INSANE BAC during roadside tests and they were walking around, and driving around normally. These were the alkis and it was obvious (and they usually said so) - where as I, at age 18, had 1 beer during a hot summer day and I was fucked.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    TC does not check for shit with regards to maintenance. I've worked in shops and hangars where techs are obviously smoking this (and others) at night or the weekends ..... even bragging about it the next day.

Tombstone engineering or processes - someone has to die from a marijuana-related aircraft crash/lapse in workmanship before this changes.
    Like I said, this is straight from TC three days ago, but yeah, they don't do testing (yet).

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

I'm just gonna nitpick

Quote Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
    Impairment is impairment regardless of if it comes from a huge bowl, a 2-6 of vodka or a bottle of NyQuil.

Its 26. As in 26oz. No dash. Its a unit of measurement, not some sort of hip nickname

I was actually told that I could recite the alphabet backwards standing on one leg with my finger on my nose faster than anyone that particular police officer had ever seen...
    This is how I know you're full of shit. The reverse alphabet isn't in place for people to actually succeed (and if you can, congrats, even sober people can't do that well), its to recognize when you're tasked with something unreasonable and clearly state so
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    I'm just gonna nitpick

Its 26. As in 26oz. No dash. Its a unit of measurement, not some sort of hip nickname

This is how I know you're full of shit. The reverse alphabet isn't in place for people to actually succeed (and if you can, congrats, even sober people can't do that well), its to recognize when you're tasked with something unreasonable and clearly state so
    I assume he put the dash because when you say it out loud it’s “two six”, not “twenty-six”.

On topic with the thread though, I would tend to agree that people with tolerance (both alcohol and weed) can probably drive fine.

That said, the rules have to be simple. Yes everyone is different but how could you enforce things if you had exceptions depending on how much tolerance people have? For the record I’m fully on board with weed legalization but at the same time I am realistic with my expectations on how it will work...you have to start somewhere and these general limits are the best we can reasonably expect for now until a better system is developed

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Wow, that could not be further from the truth. Hard core alkis are the same as anyone else - you develop a tolerance.

During my time with the RCMP we saw people with INSANE BAC during roadside tests and they were walking around, and driving around normally. These were the alkis and it was obvious (and they usually said so) - where as I, at age 18, had 1 beer during a hot summer day and I was fucked.
    I'm talking about people who have been drinking for 30-40 years and have ruined their livers, my grandfather drank himself to death at 67. He definitely went through what you are talking about, having a very large tolerance to alcohol. He put back at least a 40 a day for 40 years, sometimes more. Later on though, his liver was "pickled" and he would get absolutely destroyed when he drank whiskey when he was a functioning alcoholic for most of his life.

I know what you mean, but that doesn't last forever man.

EDIT: Incase you were wondering, Marijuana is a Bronchodilator, meaning it opens the bronchi in the lungs giving people with emphysema and asthma more oxygen. Also dilating normal peoples bronchi giving them an advantage when working out or getting any type of exercise.
    Last edited by CMW403; 10-18-2018 at 03:58 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

EDIT: Incase you were wondering, Marijuana is a Bronchodilator
    Well that was unexpected...the more you know...

https://www.nature.com/articles/npjpcrm201671
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    I assume he put the dash because when you say it out loud it’s “two six”, not “twenty-six”.
    You are correct, since I used slang by saying bowl I continued that vinacular and used 2-6 as the slang for a bottle of liquor. So yes since I used one “hip nickname” I used another, this is extremely common in the English language I honestly didn’t think anyone would try correcting it or mansplain it like turbomedic did (mansplaining is also hip).
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride

Well that was unexpected...the more you know...

https://www.nature.com/articles/npjpcrm201671
    Yep, right in the article .... (conclusions)

There is clear evidence that marijuana causes similar symptoms to tobacco smoking (chronic bronchitis) and produces similar large airway pathological features
    - - - Updated - - -

I'm talking about people who have been drinking for 30-40 years and have ruined their livers, my grandfather drank himself to death at 67. He definitely went through what you are talking about, having a very large tolerance to alcohol. He put back at least a 40 a day for 40 years, sometimes more. Later on though, his liver was "pickled" and he would get absolutely destroyed when he drank whiskey when he was a functioning alcoholic for most of his life.
    Well yea, once your liver stops metabolising the alcohol, its easier to get drunk for sure. But that means other bad things too.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast