Quantcast
Calgary and Edmonton break ins. Anyone recognize these guys? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary and Edmonton break ins. Anyone recognize these guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The guy used the talk function on the doorbell camera and told them to get away from the door..
    Ah, that makes sense - I don't have sound. Thanks.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Ah, that makes sense - I don't have sound. Thanks.
    Apparently you don't have visual either.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 9.24.00 AM.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  68.5 KB

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I need to find a better safe, I have some small safe I bought from costco a few years back and although its heavy you could just pick it up and carry it out.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    I need to find a better safe, I have some small safe I bought from costco a few years back and although its heavy you could just pick it up and carry it out.
    Did it not come with bolts to bolt it to the floor? But yes if you bought a safe from Costco that you carried home by yourself it is pretty useless unless its a 80lb meth addict breaking into your house.

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Did it not come with bolts to bolt it to the floor? But yes if you bought a safe from Costco that you carried home by yourself it is pretty useless unless its a 80lb meth addict breaking into your house.
    I was going to ask whats the point lol You're seriously probably better off hiding your valuable in your mattress than a portable safe that you cant really hide
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I see that shit, and my opinion on gun usage to defend your home changes. You should be able to just poke a gun out of the window and open fire.
    Nothing like a warning shot Or just wave it in the air like you don't care. But of course society will say I should just use sufficient force. Yes, all 5'4, 130lbs of me gonna take down 2 Spikers lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    I was going to ask whats the point lol You're seriously probably better off hiding your valuable in your mattress than a portable safe that you cant really hide
    there are no valuables in it, just things like passports, my citizenship document and our wills.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    Could be better for fires.

Sorry to be off topic, but did anyone else notice the "31st of September" part in the quote from the constable from the article Rage2 posted?

Oddly enough that doesn't seem to happen very often, and I have watched hundreds of these videos haha. I am really not sure why but they rarely break the glass - most kick the door and some jimmy it open like in these videos.

If you have a window with access to your deadbolt though you can get all kinds of things that will still hold the door in place for security even if they release the deadbolt through the window.

You can also get 3M security film on the windows that make them way harder to break, not a bad idea for those decorative windows right beside the doors.

None of this stuff is expensive, not a bad idea if anyone wants to up their security a bit.

Another reminder for everyone - hide valuables, cash, heirlooms, etc. in places like the laundry room, attic, floor/wall safe, etc. Thieves will be in your house for 2-5 mins tops, they will grab anything valuable lying around then head for the master bedroom searching for valuables/cash/jewlery (often they take a pillow case to use as a bag), then they head for the medicine cabinet for drugs and your hard alcohol. Quick in & out. Oddly enough the freezer is apparently a common place to hide cash, so they often check that too.
    Breaking glass is very noisy. Also unlike what you see in the movies, broken untempered glass like what's in a window is actually extremely sharp. You stand a good chance of giving yourself a wicked cut going through a broken window.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Breaking glass is very noisy. Also unlike what you see in the movies, broken untempered glass like what's in a window is actually extremely sharp. You stand a good chance of giving yourself a wicked cut going through a broken window.
    Exactly. You can pound on a door/side of a house all day long, nobody cares. Break fucking glass, everyone will be on you even if you are there legitimately.

And as a crime of opportunity, jimmying a door open doesn't really leave any visible damage you can see from the street. But yea, again, broken window, instant heat.

=D'z Nutz;4756679]Apparently you don't have visual either.
    I only saw the video at first when visiting the link my mistake
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-19-2018 at 10:38 AM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by andyg16 View Post
    Sorry to be off topic, but did anyone else notice the "31st of September" part in the quote from the constable from the article Rage2 posted?
    I was more triggered by 'I Seen'

Interestingly enough, not 30 minutes ago a coworker just told me his house got broken into earlier today, and they went through a big glass window they had. They also had a security system which obviously did nothing because response times are way too slow. I feel so bad for them, they lost like $40K in stuff that insurance won't cover Document all your belongings people - photos, serial numbers, receipts and upload it all to the cloud.

My Ride
    RSTi

Interestingly enough, not 30 minutes ago a coworker just told me his house got broken into earlier today, and they went through a big glass window they had. They also had a security system which obviously did nothing because response times are way too slow. I feel so bad for them, they lost like $40K in stuff that insurance won't cover Document all your belongings people - photos, serial numbers, receipts and upload it all to the cloud.
    Why wouldn't insurance cover stuff? Did they have a meth lab stolen or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Dark View Post
    Why wouldn't insurance cover stuff? Did they have a meth lab stolen or something?
    He can't prove he had it - that's just what he told me his insurance company is saying and apparently the max is $6K.

Jewlery, wedding rings, misc. valuables, and cash. Would not be hard to hit $40K I wouldn't think in a lot of people's homes. If someone has a $10K wedding ring they didn't wear that day, there is 1/4 of it right there.

It just reinforces the need for people to document their stuff and keep valuables out of obvious places like master bedroom jewelry cabinets.

Check for blood and go all CSI man.

Also, sounds like he was targeted. If they know the houses where the good stuff is, they can plan.

Has he had any contractors at his place recently? Our old offices got ransacked after the roofers were done.

Check for blood and go all CSI man.

Also, sounds like he was targeted. If they know the houses where the good stuff is, they can plan.

Has he had any contractors at his place recently? Our old offices got ransacked after the roofers were done.
    Don't think so no - his wife came to pick him up and they are with the police now. Both of them work all day and kids are school-age so it probably didn't take long for someone paying attention to figure out when nobody is home.

My GF's mom's house was broken into a few months ago and the guy left a half drank coke bottle by the bed lol - the cops took it for DNA but obviously nothing will ever come of it. They got prints/footprints too. Forensics guy said people like this rarely get caught, especially if they are drifters/druggies.

My old condo building had multiple consecutive B&E's during and right after a bunch of contractor work - nothing ever came of that either as far as I know. People left garage door openers, keys, etc. - it would have been so easy.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-19-2018 at 11:15 AM.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

As a side note.. I was always told to get separate insurance riders for high value items like jewelry, so there is no second guessing.
    Also, worth taking pictures of your garage or high value rooms every once in a while to prove ownership of items.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

The only thing I am really worried about losing is photos, I need to upload all my shit to the cloud for a more recent copy or store a 2nd harddrive with all the photos at work or something.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast