Quantcast
Options for Self Monitored Home Security - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Options for Self Monitored Home Security

My Ride
    Trucks

I picked up 3 of the Wyze cams with housings and have 2 outside up under the soffits. The video and app quality definitely put my Vivint cams to shame.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I picked up 3 of the Wyze cams with housings and have 2 outside up under the soffits. The video and app quality definitely put my Vivint cams to shame.
    How are your Wyze cams holding up outside? And which housings did you go with?

I have 2 wyze cams outside. Both have been outside for the last ~6 months and working without any issues. Neither have any housing, just under the soffits.

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Has anyone had success in getting Calgary Police Service to accept the self monitored self installed alarm system? Before my vacation I filled in the $15 cheque and sent that and the completed paper work with the options ticked for self monitored / self installed?

I received this back in the post which is annoying: They also told me it was missing the check but it was definitely in the envelope.

Attachment 84616
    I have to fill out what now? I need a PERMIT? WTF!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    She wishes it was deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    So deep put her ass to sleep.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

If you call the cops for an active burglary they won’t show unless you have sent them that piece of paper.

Edit: it’s a yearly fee.

Quote Originally Posted by nagooro View Post
    I have 2 wyze cams outside. Both have been outside for the last ~6 months and working without any issues. Neither have any housing, just under the soffits.
    Same here with one wyze cam outside no housing. No issues.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by klumsy_tumbler View Post
    How are your Wyze cams holding up outside? And which housings did you go with?
    I have 1 black and 3 white housings, the most common one on Amazon that doesn’t look like a little birdhouse. They are not waterproof in any way but provide a proper steady mount.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Same here with one wyze cam outside no housing. No issues.
    Do you have a plugin in your soffit and just plug it in like you would christmas lights? I run Wyze cams for baby cams and they don't seem like the cameras or the cord and plug-in would hold up outside. That being said I've definitely been wrong before and obviously am here. Would you fellas mind sharing a picture of your "install" on one of your cameras?
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Install: Did a junction box, ran 14g wire to the attic, w/plug in. Climbed in attic and ran wire across to the soffit area. So the stock line is in the attic.
    So far, I know there's a guy who checks in cars with his cellphone LED at 1:30am.
    Neighbours car got broken into by guys who drove up so I think they scouted the vehicle out.
    And I don't even check the camera that often unless something happens.
    Can I identify the people on night vision mode? Nope. If they were close to my house? Of course.
    No way could you tell the license plate but can tell the vehicle.

My Ride
    Trucks

I use my Christmas light soffit plug at the front and mounted my camera next to it. On my garage I drilled a hole through the wall and the cord reaches an existing outlet. USB power only cords I think are available in lengths up to 18ft.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    If you call the cops for an active burglary they won’t show unless you have sent them that piece of paper.

Edit: it’s a yearly fee.
    Are you serious? If someone is actively burgling my house and I call 9-1-1 the cops wont even go look if I haven't filled out some form? Doesn't sound right.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Are you serious? If someone is actively burgling my house and I call 9-1-1 the cops wont even go look if I haven't filled out some form? Doesn't sound right.
    Because it's not right.

They'll go to "verified" calls, as usual, regardless of the piece of paper. A phoned-in active burglary is a verified call. What they WON'T do is respond to an "unverified" house alarm going off. Those times where a motion sensor goes off that goes straight to the cops, where they don't know whether it's a real alarm or false (they're usually false). The certificate is supposed to reduce false alarms by giving the police all the homeowner info and the means to charge them (financially) if they show up to the same house 4x/week because the cat keeps setting off the motion sensor.

But anything verified, or currently active (IE, the house alarm is going off and a neighbor calls to say he sees the front door open and a strange car idling in the driveway), they'll show up full sirens as usual, regardless.

PS - Back on topic - this is good news to hear about the Wyze cams outside. I'm still worried about some of the rainstorms we get in the summer, so I put one inside my garage to see how it reacts to the cold (not that it's been cold this winter), and so far it's all good. Probably mount a couple outside under the soffits in the summer.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I was under the impression that you only needed an alarm permit if you have an agent monitoring for you such as Vivint who doesn't use their own private security and relies on CPS for alarm calls. Self monitored systems shouldn't require a permit.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

I was under the impression that you only needed an alarm permit if you have an agent monitoring for you such as Vivint who doesn't use their own private security and relies on CPS for alarm calls. Self monitored systems shouldn't require a permit.
    This is probably true, I didn't look into that because ours is monitored. It would make sense because self-monitoring shouldn't trigger an auto-call to the cops, but who knows. But I can confirm that we have a monitored option that sends a security guard first, and we still have to have the certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    Because it's not right.

They'll go to "verified" calls, as usual, regardless of the piece of paper. A phoned-in active burglary is a verified call. What they WON'T do is respond to an "unverified" house alarm going off. Those times where a motion sensor goes off that goes straight to the cops, where they don't know whether it's a real alarm or false (they're usually false). The certificate is supposed to reduce false alarms by giving the police all the homeowner info and the means to charge them (financially) if they show up to the same house 4x/week because the cat keeps setting off the motion sensor.

But anything verified, or currently active (IE, the house alarm is going off and a neighbor calls to say he sees the front door open and a strange car idling in the driveway), they'll show up full sirens as usual, regardless.

PS - Back on topic - this is good news to hear about the Wyze cams outside. I'm still worried about some of the rainstorms we get in the summer, so I put one inside my garage to see how it reacts to the cold (not that it's been cold this winter), and so far it's all good. Probably mount a couple outside under the soffits in the summer.
    OK that makes way more sense, thanks. I figured as much. And yeah, I wouldn't expect them to respond every time someone's cat sets off a motion detector.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

When I asked the police that is what they told me. But it makes sense that they should show up. I wouldn't call them unless I was looking at my cameras inside and noticed some people actively robbing my house.

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Do you have a plugin in your soffit and just plug it in like you would christmas lights? I run Wyze cams for baby cams and they don't seem like the cameras or the cord and plug-in would hold up outside. That being said I've definitely been wrong before and obviously am here. Would you fellas mind sharing a picture of your "install" on one of your cameras?
    Not the absolute cleanest, but works fine for me. For my 2nd one, I ran a 25ft USB cable behind the siding.

Name:  a3ThvET.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  2JDkGMp.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  43.5 KB

My Ride
    02 RSX

Not the absolute cleanest, but works fine for me. For my 2nd one, I ran a 25ft USB cable behind the siding.

Name:  a3ThvET.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  2JDkGMp.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  43.5 KB
    @nagooro , Like your set up, let us know how they will do in next weeks cold, got a couple and planning to do similar to your set up. Also what did you use to attach the cameras to the soffit?

Quote Originally Posted by Russo View Post
    @nagooro , Like your set up, let us know how they will do in next weeks cold, got a couple and planning to do similar to your set up. Also what did you use to attach the cameras to the soffit?
    The cameras have a fairly strong magnetic base, and they also come with strong 2-sided 3M tape, so you could use either depending on the surface.

@Russo

https://www.amazon.ca/Scotch-Outdoor...+Mounting+Tape

Used this for my wyze cams. I found the 3M metal plate too weak/doesn't adhere very well. So far zero issues.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast