Quantcast
Options for Self Monitored Home Security - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Options for Self Monitored Home Security

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Default Options for Self Monitored Home Security

Hey guys,

Wife and I just bought our first place (new build). Had the builder rough in wiring for cameras and planning on installing a video doorbell. Just wondering which systems you guy might recommend for my place. Need to have motion activated capability and hope to have the ability to have notifications and watch video on smart phone and online etc. Was looking for a 2 camera system plus the camera doorbell. Wanted to avoid the monitored systems to cut costs and we gotta buy more furniture etc even with the reduction in home insurance. I was looking at Abode and Arlo systems, but not sure if I should go with these or perhaps another one.

What you guys recommend?

Check out my neato diagram:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    She wishes it was deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    So deep put her ass to sleep.

My Ride
    FB6

Wow your setup is basically identical to mine. If what you mean by camera wiring is cat6 only, you will have to use more commercial oriented systems as I’m not aware of any consumer retail cameras that offer cloud and app functionality that run on POE.

What you have to look into are POE cameras like hikvision or dahua and have a NVR or NAS to record to. Some NVR and NAS offer built in notifications and app functionality. You can also build your own NAS and run software like Blue Iris.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Don't bother with Arlo, people I know aren't happy with the battery longevity here in Calgary. Quality isn't the greatest either considering the amount you're paying for the cameras.

Like @realazy says, hikvision, dahua and amcrest are the way to go, make sure you get the POE enabled versions though. The problem with these is they require tinkering and some additional hardware and software(Blue Iris). I've got both a hikvision camera and an amcrest set up recording to a server running Blue Iris. Another option is I think Costco sells the 5 camera POE package with a NVR in store, I'm not sure what the quality is on those cameras though. If you do get a chinese camera, get as high of a megapixel sensor that you can afford.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Build your own NVR and use Milestone Essentials. You can use any camera you want, and its a very versatile program.

My Ride

I've been reading the older threads about home security options and monitored vs self monitored. (Funny how you find these threads after you create one). I actually started was leaning towards the monitored, until I saw the response time for their units. So I'm back to self monitoring. I think I will try and build my own system, 1 of the reg cameras wired and 2 wired voice cameras by the front door and back door. But trying to decide how to set up the system, either recording on an old computer or cloud or something, and how the app works with that.
    Last edited by DonJuan; 10-21-2018 at 01:29 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Back in the day, you had the option of having CPS respond instead of the security company, and it was cheaper too! you just ran the risk of the fines for false alarms. Response times were always slow though. Nobody is getting there before the crooks are gone. Not CPS, not the alarm company, and not you if you are out for dinner. That's a fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

What are your guys thoughts on the Ring spotlight wifi Camera’s? They sell for $250 each and I believe you just pay $10/month for cloud storage?

Worth buying? Do they ever go on sale?

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

I have no issues with the quality of Arlo but I agree on the battery life. I'm buying rechargeable for them from now on.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    XT6

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Don't bother with Arlo, people I know aren't happy with the battery longevity here in Calgary. Quality isn't the greatest either considering the amount you're paying for the cameras.
    I got rid of my Arlo cameras as integration into my controller was a pain, battery life sucked and seemed to always have to much delay.

If you have wiring Hikvision is the way to go.

I did not want to run wiring so went with the Blink XT system (Amazon) and it has been pretty good.

My Ride
    RSTi

I just bought this set up:

https://www.lorextechnology.com/deta...questid=240363

Will be setting them up this week so I don't really have any personal experience with them...that being said they were highly recommended from a friend.

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Dark View Post

Will be setting them up this week so I don't really have any personal experience with them...that being said they were highly recommended from a friend.
    How easy are these types of systems to wire up on a house that doesn't have existing security wiring in place? I want a system like this but just haven't gotten around to figuring out how to run the wires from outside to down to the basement utility room.

How does the image quality on those Lorex systems compare to something like a Wyzecam or Nest Cam? And can you get it into the cloud in case they steal the box?
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-22-2018 at 10:44 AM.

My Ride
    RSTi

Quote Originally Posted by redevil View Post
    How easy are these types of systems to wire up on a house that doesn't have existing security wiring in place? I want a system like this but just haven't gotten around to figuring out how to run the wires from outside to down to the basement utility room.
    They do have wireless options as well but if you are set on hardwiring them the only real solution is to hide the cabling as best you can until you get to an access point in your wall. It's easy enough as the Cat 5/6 wire is small and will can go behind siding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    How does the image quality on those Lorex systems compare to something like a Wyzecam or Nest Cam? And can you get it into the cloud in case they steal the box?
    Image quality seemed really good from my friend's phone using their app, once it's installed and running I'll post some pics. As for your second point Lorex offers a cloud package so yes.

My Ride
    rally pig

Bought one of these on Friday and it arrived yesterday, quickly installed it and so far so good. Will update you guys in a week
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Up to 4 devices can get alerted and connect to it remotely and view the camera.
    It has a 8GB microSD inside and they offer free cloud storage to store 8s video clips (who knows where it is stored though)

As I mounted it on our front door, I went with the battery route (2 18650 battery) and may need to replace/recharge them every couple of months (review says up to 6 months)

Also using 4 D-Link cameras for security. 2 inside the house, 1 in the garage and 1 outdoor camera to the main entrance.
    The doorbell camera is so that my wife can see who rings the doorbell before going to open it.

They do have wireless options as well but if you are set on hardwiring them the only real solution is to hide the cabling as best you can until you get to an access point in your wall. It's easy enough as the Cat 5/6 wire is small and will can go behind siding.

Image quality seemed really good from my friend's phone using their app, once it's installed and running I'll post some pics. As for your second point Lorex offers a cloud package so yes.
    That's pretty decent then, $550 for the whole package seems reasonable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    As I mounted it on our front door, I went with the battery route (2 18650 battery) and may need to replace/recharge them every couple of months (review says up to 6 months)
    In the winter you might find you are replacing the batteries all the time when it's -30C out. Curious to hear how it holds up though - that is a hell of a lot cheaper than the Nest/Ring doorbells especially with free cloud storage and continuous mSD recording.

My Ride

This looks like a good setup, and comes with everything I would need. Extra camera to keep an eye on my baby in the garage lol. This with a decent $120 Amazon alarm system and I should be pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    She wishes it was deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    So deep put her ass to sleep.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Still loving my Wyze Cams, for indoor use I can't imagine using anything else. Wish I had something better for outdoor monitoring, but I'm rural.

Only complaint with the Wyze is while it is 720p, the bitrate it streams is very low, including what it writes to local storage. But it should easily be used to identify a perp, especially with the IR night vision. My complaint on bitrate is strictly at almost 50 feet away at my gate, had a guy pull up, no idea wtf he was doing, sent the video to a friend and he was all "lol, he's taking a piss"

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Still loving my Wyze Cams, for indoor use I can't imagine using anything else. Wish I had something better for outdoor monitoring, but I'm rural.

Only complaint with the Wyze is while it is 720p, the bitrate it streams is very low, including what it writes to local storage. But it should easily be used to identify a perp, especially with the IR night vision. My complaint on bitrate is strictly at almost 50 feet away at my gate, had a guy pull up, no idea wtf he was doing, sent the video to a friend and he was all "lol, he's taking a piss"
    x2. I have a Wyze Pan and 2 Wyze v2. Super cheap, but it gets the job done. Alerts seem to work fine, (though the Pan sometimes gets triggered by it's own sound).

My Ride
    TECHART & Misha Design

X3 for Wyze. Got my pan cam a week ago and loved it so much I ordered 3 V2’s to monitor fixed positions.

If it wasn't obvious from the above comments, the WyzeCam Pan's are now available in Canada on Amazon if anyone is wondering. They weren't until recently.

$37.50 for the normal WyzeCam and $58.85 for the Pan.

I don't have use for the Pan yet but I bought another normal one. They are amazing for the price. ISO performance is surprisingly good considering how cheap they are, they have all the features of the expensive cameras, good night vision, and free cloud storage.

I've already caught snoopy neighbors walking up and checking out my Amazon packages on my front step.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast