Quantcast
Best Multi Vitamin - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Multi Vitamin

Default Best Multi Vitamin

I did a search but the most recent thread I could find was 6 years old.

I know some of you are way more into nutrition than I am, so I was hoping for some advice on the best multi vitamin. I don't have a flawlessly balanced diet every day, so I am sure I am not getting my recommended vitamin levels all the time. I'm also just interested to see if taking a premium multivitamin provides any noticeable effect on health or quality of life.

I tried to look at this objectively and I found a website called "labdoor". Assuming they're legit, they recommend Garden of Life Vitamin Code for Men as their highest rated multi vitamin and when an ingredient was inaccurate, it offered more not less:

https://labdoor.com/review/garden-of...n-code-for-men

It seems interesting in that everything is naturally derived, does not need to be taken with food and it has no unsafe ingredients.

In the past I just bought the Kirkland ones but comparing the ingredients they barely have anything in them compared to others, and they get a poor rating on labdoor (again assuming it is reputable).

Is that a good place to start? Anything better out there? I'm not worried about the price (within reason) if they are objectively better than competing products.

Also, why would I need to take 4/day if each pill has 100% or more of my daily recommended value in almost every category?

TIA

Or should I just get something like this and be done with it?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B019C1GDAI/...expsub_3?psc=1
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-24-2018 at 10:36 AM.

My Ride
    NC1

Usana @89coupe approved
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

I just started taking "Progressive Active Men" Multi as recommended by a friend who is a naturopath.

I have no idea how they rank to others, but I trust her.

Another brand I was reading up on is the "NOW Adam" multi. Its pretty highly rated on Bodybuilding.com

My Ride
    M5 Competition

As long as you are healthy and eating a good balanced diet, I don’t see the need for a multivitamin.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just started taking "Progressive Active Men" Multi as recommended by a friend who is a naturopath.

I have no idea how they rank to others, but I trust her.

Another brand I was reading up on is the "NOW Adam" multi. Its pretty highly rated on Bodybuilding.com
    Taking one good look at the progressive active men ingredients and it’s clear it’s a shitty multi. Do some research on mineral and vitamin absorption and you’ll see why.

Best option imeo is vita jym and take your zinc mag and potassium at night separately.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Not a multivitamin but a more targetted approach to things I know I lack (in my case specifically, potassium):

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some interesting research as of late regarding omega 3:omega 6 ratios that suggest people don't get nearly enough of the 3 and the imbalance might be leading to some diseases.

I will also start taking units of D3 as the seasons are changing, less light etc.
    Last edited by msommers; 10-24-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Taking one good look at the progressive active men ingredients and it’s clear it’s a shitty multi. Do some research on mineral and vitamin absorption and you’ll see why.

Best option imeo is vita jym and take your zinc mag and potassium at night separately.
    Everyone has their favourite and slam others. but half the time it just ends up being expensive urine.

To play the other side one could also say vita jym is a shitty multi for the exact same reasons you mention (absorption). They claim 500-1000mcg b12. Studies show b12 absorption exponentially decays to the point they can’t even effectively measure the absorption beyond 500mcg (from what I’ve read even out of the 500mcg you only absorb between 5-10mcg).

I’ve lost faith in multis, I think a lot of it is pure placebo.
    Last edited by J-hop; 10-24-2018 at 12:38 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    As long as you are healthy and eating a good balanced diet, I don’t see the need for a multivitamin.
    Even if you do, our North American food source is losing its nutritional values. Has been going on for decades as our soils are being drugged and depleted of nutrients. Outsourced food is another issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I don't have a flawlessly balanced diet every day, so I am sure I am not getting my recommended vitamin levels all the time.
    -----------------------------

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Does anyone actually use these Garden of Life Vitamin Codes? I will look into the others suggested too.

The "NOW Adam" rate pretty well and are a bit cheaper per unit than the Vitamin Code but I don't know which is the better Vitamin:

https://labdoor.com/review/now-foods...s-multivitamin

My Ride
    ute

ya, multi vitamins are snake oil

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    ya, multi vitamins are snake oil
    Yeah but snakes are delicious.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Even if you do, our North American food source is losing its nutritional values. Has been going on for decades as our soils are being drugged and depleted of nutrients. Outsourced food is another issue.

Zenops 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post

Zenops 2.0?
    ... He's not entirely wrong.

My Ride
    V167

No strong evidence for multivitamins. Don't waste your $$.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

^^An actual Doctor, fyi
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL8aaq-kXHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbGKt7FH6ds

While I don't think taking a multi is a game changer, I think it's still relatively important for people trying to reach certain fitness goals or those who are deficient in certain areas.

I trust this dude when it comes to supplement science..

Jim Stoppani received his doctorate in exercise physiology with a minor in biochemistry from the University of Connecticut. Following graduation, he served as a postdoctoral research fellow in the prestigious John B. Pierce Laboratory and Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology at Yale University School of Medicine, where he investigated the effects of exercise and diet on gene regulation in muscle tissue.
    He was awarded the Gatorade Beginning Investigator in Exercise Science Award in 2002 by the American Physiological Society for his groundbreaking research. Currently, Jim runs his own fitness website JimStoppani.com.
    He has written thousands of articles on exercise, nutrition, and health, and is author of "Encyclopedia of Muscle & Strength" (Human Kinetics, 2006), co-author of the New York Times Bestseller, "LL Cool J's Platinum 360 Diet and Lifestyle" (Rodale, 2010), co-author of the book "Stronger Arms & Upper Body" (Human Kinetics, 2008), and co-author of the chapter "Nutritional Needs of Strength/Power Athletes" in the textbook "Essentials of Sports Nutrition and Supplements" (Humana Press, 2008). Dr. Stoppani is the creator of the Platinum 360 Diet, and creator of the diet program found in the book "Mario Lopez's Knockout Fitness" (Rodale, 2008).
    Dr. Stoppani has been the personal nutrition and health consultant for celebrity clients, such as LL Cool J, Dr. Dre, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, and Mario Lopez. He has appeared on the NBC television show "Extra" as an Extra LifeChanger and as a science expert on the Spike television shows "Jesse James is a Dead Man" and "MANswers."
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 10-24-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    No strong evidence for multivitamins. Don't waste your $$.
    Even if you are deficient in certain areas? I know for a fact I am not getting a flawless distribution nutrition every day but I am also not a doctor haha. That is really my motivation for wanting a good one.

I listened to a "Science VS" podcast on multivitamins as well and they basically said the same as you, but interestingly enough the doctors they interviewed took them themselves as it couldn't hurt.

Any medical articles you could point to would be appreciated - I like reading that kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL8aaq-kXHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbGKt7FH6ds

While I don't think taking a multi is a game changer, I think it's still relatively important for people trying to reach certain fitness goals.

I trust this dude when it comes to supplement science..

Jim Stoppani received his doctorate in exercise physiology with a minor in biochemistry from the University of Connecticut. Following graduation, he served as a postdoctoral research fellow in the prestigious John B. Pierce Laboratory and Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology at Yale University School of Medicine, where he investigated the effects of exercise and diet on gene regulation in muscle tissue.
    He was awarded the Gatorade Beginning Investigator in Exercise Science Award in 2002 by the American Physiological Society for his groundbreaking research. Currently, Jim runs his own fitness website JimStoppani.com.
    He has written thousands of articles on exercise, nutrition, and health, and is author of "Encyclopedia of Muscle & Strength" (Human Kinetics, 2006), co-author of the New York Times Bestseller, "LL Cool J's Platinum 360 Diet and Lifestyle" (Rodale, 2010), co-author of the book "Stronger Arms & Upper Body" (Human Kinetics, 2008), and co-author of the chapter "Nutritional Needs of Strength/Power Athletes" in the textbook "Essentials of Sports Nutrition and Supplements" (Humana Press, 2008). Dr. Stoppani is the creator of the Platinum 360 Diet, and creator of the diet program found in the book "Mario Lopez's Knockout Fitness" (Rodale, 2008).
    Dr. Stoppani has been the personal nutrition and health consultant for celebrity clients, such as LL Cool J, Dr. Dre, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, and Mario Lopez. He has appeared on the NBC television show "Extra" as an Extra LifeChanger and as a science expert on the Spike television shows "Jesse James is a Dead Man" and "MANswers."
    Rule one though in anything. The second someone has a monetary stake in the game you have to be careful with what they say as they wouldn’t say something that would hurt their sales even if it’s right.

I agree with you he seems to have good credentials. But blasting a multi full of b12 well beyond the point any human could absorb even a fraction of it (like every other pill on the market) isn’t sound science

I know I’m straw manning a bit here as it’s just one aspect but I would personally be just as skeptical of the quality and science behind that product as any other multi
    Last edited by J-hop; 10-24-2018 at 03:00 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post

Zenops 2.0?
    I know - its pretty funny eh? Especially when it has been reported in Scientific American.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...utrition-loss/

We obviously still need our fruits and vegetables, but they arent the same as 60 years ago as far as nutrition.
    Last edited by revelations; 10-24-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    I know - its pretty funny eh? Especially when it has been reported in Scientific American.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...utrition-loss/
    That is and isn’t true. If you actually read the study in the 13 nutrients studied 6 showed declines while 7 showed no change. Those changes ranged from -6% (negligible?) to 38%.

I haven’t seen a study (even a theoretical one) that looks at if that decrease would have any effect on overall health.
    Riboflavin for example (the nutrient with the 38% decrease over the study period) it seems is very easy to exceed the daily requirements.

Results from study:

As a group, the 43 foods show apparent, statistically reliable declines (R < 1) for 6 nutrients (protein, Ca, P, Fe, riboflavin and ascorbic acid), but no statistically reliable changes for 7 other nutrients. Declines in the medians range from 6% for protein to 38% for riboflavin.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast