Quantcast
cv axle or something else - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: cv axle or something else

My Ride
    DC4, CB750, CB360t

Default cv axle or something else

I noticed a few days ago a clunk clunk clunk noise that came from my driver side when I turned left. This pretty much happened after i adjusted my coilovers. I assumed it was my cv axle because the boot is torn but now I'm not sure cuz it makes the same noise sometimes when Im driving straight. Either way I going to replace my cv axle but while I'm down there might as well replace whatever else I need. Does anybody have any other idea what else it could be that would cause this noise? Thanks.

My Ride
    White '91 Miata

my cv boot was cut and got some dirt/rocks in it... made lots of crunching/clunking sounds.... kinda a hollow noise....

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).

My Ride
    DC4, CB750, CB360t

Default Re: cv axle or something else

hmm well thanks alot buddy. I'm going to replace the cv axle anyways but just asked a simple question to see if it could be something else. I've had cv axle problems before but never heard it clunk when just driving straight. I figure while I'm replacing the axle maybe see what else I needed to replace. Wll its worth a shot to see if anybody experienced something similar. Again thanks

My Ride
    1968 Ford Mustang Coupe

My guess is that there is nothing wrong with the actual CV axle, it is just that when you adjusted your coilovers (I am guessing lower) the CV will have a tendency to knock against something when you are turning (CV would be at more of an angle). The ripped boot would be as a result of this, and maybe if you didn't have the clunking noise at first it was because the boot rubbed up against something, but when the boot ripped the noise began.
    I would try readjusting your coils before doing anything else.
    Originally posted by QuasarCav
    I would smell the box and know what was in there.
    Originally posted by QuasarCav
    i think the hot beef is the best.
    Way Fast Whitey

The inboard joint is a plunge joint and moves in and out when the tire moves up and down as when hitting bumps or impressions in the road. Seeing that you lowered the car, it may be possible that the axle is now "bottoming" against itself and causing a thump. How long has the boot been torn? It would take a while to cause enough wear in the joint to have it start clunking after the boot has been torn. It wouldn't happen right away. But as Hendosa stated, I would definitely readjust the coilovers to see if the noise went away. Also check you motor and trans mounts, if the are bad, the motor and trans will shift on acceleration and also cause a clunk and/or may cause cv axle damage.
    The Auto Guru-Free Automotive Information and Advice
    www.theautoguru.com

My Ride
    90 Acura Integra LS, 88 corolla winter beater

again it could be your bearing and the shaft that happened to me

Have any of you seen cv axle express?, http://cvaxleexpress.com , it sells remanufactured axles and new axles.

cvaxleexpress

My Ride
    83 Mercedes Benz 300SD & 93 Ducati 888 & 71 Ducati

The noise made by worn CV joints sounds like a grinding growling sound, and is most pronounced upon acceleration and in turns.

Crawl under the car & see if there is any fresh worn spots on any suspention componentry. I think Knuckebuster has the answer, though.

I have a method of prolonging the lives of CV joints. Lordco (I dont know if you have them in Alberta) sells a nifty little needlenosed greasegun. I inject marine grease into the boot by slipping the miniscule little snout of the mini-greasegun under the CV boot.
    I hate replacing CV joints and I am a cheap bastard.

My Ride
    DC4, CB750, CB360t

I replaced the cv axle and it's fine now. The only reason I thought it was something else because it was also making the clunking noise when i was driving straight and I've never heard an axle do that before. I guess when it's severe enough the axle will clunk when driving straight also.

My Ride
    2000 Honda Civic HB

Inboard Tripod joints (a plunge type cv joint) will clunk when the vehicle is acclerated or decelerated if they are worn, this is mainly due to the increased clearance between the rollers and the grooves they run in. The outboard cv joint typically makes a clicking sound when turning if they are worn out.