Quantcast
Maldives - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Maldives

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 11:37 AM.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

It's on our bucket list to stay at those water bungalow at the Maldives but it's so expensive!

We looked into it briefly before when our friend was planning to get married there. Flight was $2K. Water taxi to resort was $1000. Resort was $1500-$2300/night.. plus food and everything we figured it would've been a $20K trip to go for a week.. They ended up having their wedding somewhere else.. thank god..

My Ride
    M3P

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Went to the Maldives during my honeymoon. Stayed at Veligandu - did All Inclusive. The island was 600m everything accessible by barefoot. It was pure paradise. We stayed in an over the water bungalow as well as a beach bungalow. My best advice is when you pick your resort you really need to know the amenities they have and the costs to do any types of excursions so that you're not surprised when you get there. For example - I forgot sunscreen (idiot) it was $60USD or something crazy. A small bag of chips was $6USD, 1 Hour Jetski rental was $200USD etc.

As mentioned bring USD, we brought Maldivian dollars and it was practically useless.

I've never stayed anywhere as remote, beautiful and picturesque - don't skimp out and enjoy every minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    Found the brokeass.
    yep

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Cool your jets tough guy. Its the internet. Watch a movie or two.
    I'm tough? You were insulting someone for asking about the price of a vacation, does that make you tough? What does watching a movie have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    yep

I'm tough? You were insulting someone for asking about the price of a vacation, does that make you tough? What does watching a movie have to do with anything?

The internet is serious business today....

He was quoting Fast and Furious.
    Let me paint a picture...
    Supra pulls up next to a ferrari

Paul Walker: Nice car, what's the retail on one of those?
    Douchey Ferrari owner: More than you can afford pal, ferrari *revs engine*
    Torretto: Smoke him.

Paul walker proceeds to smoke him

My Ride
    M3P

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post

??? I'm not mad at the F&F Meme.

Either way you're right - I'm being a cunt

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post

Well Beer Fest actually

“What’s a ZJ?”

“If you have to ask you can’t afford it”

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

It's a lonnnngg way there. We had our wedding in HK so naturally we picked Maldives for our honeymoon. It's basically another full day of travel till you get to the resort (from HK).

It is awesome and relaxing tho. I had an all inclusive plan so food and drinks were all free. imo it's worth it cause one meal can be 50USD/person.

There's isnt much to do other than water activities, but the experience was outstanding. I booked my package in HK and it was approximately 4k/person. I also had a stop over in Singapore on our way back to HK ($ extra).

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

We're headed there for 12 days in August after 6 weeks in Sri Lanka.

Neither my girl nor I are the relax in a fancy villa type so we'll likely try to stay on the local islands and get a feel for more of the local food / culture. We may treat ourselves to a couple nights on a resort island if there are some good activities available but it's not the priority for us since we tend to find luxury spots more stuffy than enjoyable.

Has anyone had more "local" experiences they can share? It seems most here have done the honeymoon / instagram style vacay.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post

Neither my girl nor I are the relax in a fancy villa type so we'll likely try to stay on the local islands and get a feel for more of the local food / culture. We may treat ourselves to a couple nights on a resort island if there are some good activities available but it's not the priority for us since we tend to find luxury spots more stuffy than enjoyable.

Has anyone had more "local" experiences they can share? It seems most here have done the honeymoon / instagram style vacay.
    I dont know how much "local" experience you'll get as the only major city is Male and it's just a stop gap between the international airport and the resorts. The city itself is pretty ghetto imo (i only spent one night of 8 hours there tho).

My Ride
    rally pig

12 days in Maldives? you might end up getting bored.
    Really the local place you will easily explore is Male.
    We stayed there overnight on our first night as we arrived late afternoon and wanted to stock up on some snacks before heading
    to the resort.
    I went for a walk in the early morning (before 6am) and surprisingly most people were already awake, kids were playing soccer, there were lots of locals swimming at the beach. Unfortunately we didn't have time to check the local wet fish and fruit markets.

There are other local islands that you can visit and stay for cheap but I don't know much about transportation and good accommodations.
    I researched for decent airbnbs but let my wife pick the resort since Maldives was her bucket list and babymoon.
    https://www.neverendingfootsteps.com...s-on-a-budget/
    Last edited by taemo; 06-22-2019 at 05:45 PM.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    I dont know how much "local" experience you'll get as the only major city is Male and it's just a stop gap between the international airport and the resorts. The city itself is pretty ghetto imo (i only spent one night of 8 hours there tho).
    I've heard good things about Maafushi, Guraidhoo, and Fulidhoo so we'll probably just choose a couple of those for most of our time

https://www.neverendingvoyage.com/fulidhoo-maldives/

My Ride
    Pushbroom

The Maldives outside of the resorts is still a very poor third world country. There really isn’t much to do it’s so small. Oh, and extremely Muslim, so a lot of western customs and luxuries are frowned upon by the locals.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    The Maldives outside of the resorts is still a very poor third world country. There really isn’t much to do it’s so small. Oh, and extremely Muslim, so a lot of western customs and luxuries are frowned upon by the locals.
    Sounds perfect to me.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Just finished our trip to Male, Fulidhoo, Maafushi, and Gulhi. Still doing the final calculations but I suspect we spent less than US $1500 for 2 people for 12 days and had a great time.

Decent standard of accommodation, good food (fresh grilled fish or curries most nights but not a lot of vegetables), and a couple excellent snorkelling trips as well as a sunset fishing trip (caught 3 and grilled them up for dinner).

The beaches on each island were great but we probably liked Fulidhoo's beach the most (but the actual island the least due to the people still being a little unaccustomed to tourists). There's not a lot to do on Gulhi but the beach is great and some decent snorkelling. Maafushi would be the easiest place to spend some time due to all the tours (snorkeling, diving, etc.) and restaurants and such but the beach was our least favourite as they charged $5 for chairs and there wasn't much shade or snorkeling from the beach.

I'll eventually get around to doing a blog post about our trip but if anyone has Q's about a "Local Island Experience" let me know.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Planning this trip sometime in the next 2-3 months.

Mix of $ and points. I'll be doing a blog post after detailing planned costs/unforeseen costs. Let's see how bad this hurts the wallet! hahah
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

I'll eventually get around to doing a blog post about our trip but if anyone has Q's about a "Local Island Experience" let me know.
    How was the sunset fishing trip organized/planned? How did you hop between islands and how'd you find accommodations? Link to blog post if there's one would be appreciated.

And wow the beyond ballers sure don't skimp on vacations. Someone mentioned 3 to 5K for a 5 day trip...per person. I find there's affordable stays just about anywhere. Noticed there's a lone hostel on Thulusdhoo.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    How was the sunset fishing trip organized/planned? How did you hop between islands and how'd you find accommodations? Link to blog post if there's one would be appreciated.

And wow the beyond ballers sure don't skimp on vacations. Someone mentioned 3 to 5K for a 5 day trip...per person. I find there's affordable stays just about anywhere. Noticed there's a lone hostel on Thulusdhoo.
    Fishing trip was through a guesthouse on Gulhi (across the street from Hudhuveli Inn where we stayed).

Transport was local ferry.

We stayed at budget accommodation. 10x nicer than the backpacker stuff I used to stay in but not fancy compared to what the Maldive "Influencers" will post on Instagram. For us it was just a bed and a shower. Time was spent on the beach or exploring the (small) islands.

I'll try to get around to the blog post. Super busy lately and kind of sick and tired of tourists ruining places not to mention the environmental impact so I'm less enthusiastic about promoting anything travel anymore (though I'm still super supportive of responsible travellers who support local economies and respect local cultures).
    Last edited by davidI; 01-30-2020 at 01:21 PM.

^

People need to stop tagging the exact location on their insta at least. Ruins beautiful spots and I like doing research before trips since anticipation is one of the most fun parts of traveling but too often I'll see everything I wanted to see before actually being there. "A tourist sees what they came to see. A traveler sees what he sees" or something along those lines.

Even for responsible travelers the carbon footprint of flying is significant but what can you do. At least we're not hypocritical enough to fly to a climate change conference in a private jet.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

^100%.

Not to mention supporting the local Maldivians with guesthouses and restaurants and supermarkets rather than just the multi-millionaires running private resorts.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post

that was probably my post, the 3-5K budget per person includes flight from Calgary to Maldives (that alone will set you 2-3K for 2 persons depending on the deals that you find)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2