Quantcast
Dimmer switches for the house - is Lutron the best? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Dimmer switches for the house - is Lutron the best?

Default Dimmer switches for the house - is Lutron the best?

Looking to add a few dimmer switches in my house, is Lutron the way to go?

Has anyone tried out the ones Costco is currently carrying (CE Smart Home WIFI Smart Dimmers)? Price seems pretty good and they will work with google home/alexa/smart phones. Just not sure how reliable they are.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I've had 0 issues with Lutron. They work great both as physical switches as well as Homekit automation switches.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Lutron has been great for me. The Caseta's homekit integration is incredibly reliable.

If I have two light switches that control one light, is a 3 way switch what I need (like the one below)? eg. lights above staircase can be controlled from switches in the kitchen and 2nd floor

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.d...000674381.html

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've had 0 issues with Lutron. They work great both as physical switches as well as Homekit automation switches.
    Are you using the Caseta's as well?

Didn't know Caseta's work with google home as well, prob leaning towards that option now. Thanks guys
    Last edited by nagooro; 11-03-2018 at 05:28 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by nagooro View Post
    If I have two light switches that control one light, is a 3 way switch what I need (like the one below)? eg. lights above staircase can be controlled from switches in the kitchen and 2nd floor

Didn't know Caseta's work with google home as well, prob leaning towards that option now. Thanks guys
    3 way is simple. Change it to a one way, then the remaining switch locations install a pico remote which looks and feels like a light switch. Bonus when using home automation the pico remote can trigger a whole bunch of other stuff.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

I have 4 zwave plus switches or 600w dimmers. Have an issue of one always becoming unavailable on Zwave but still seems to function went sent a command they operate or the physical switch always works. No issues overall.
    Cos...

3 way is simple. Change it to a one way, then the remaining switch locations install a pico remote which looks and feels like a light switch. Bonus when using home automation the pico remote can trigger a whole bunch of other stuff.
    You can also use the Caseta Pro dimmers in 3Way if you don't want to deal with the remote. Dimmer replaces one switch and the other, regular switch stays where it is. Only drawback is that at the regular switch you don't have dimming capability.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by cet View Post
    You can also use the Caseta Pro dimmers in 3Way if you don't want to deal with the remote. Dimmer replaces one switch and the other, regular switch stays where it is. Only drawback is that at the regular switch you don't have dimming capability.
    The remote was the best way to go IMO. I found some 3 and 4 way switch locations that makes zero sense, and repurposed those remotes to trigger other things such as blinds, or multiple # of lights. The added flexibility is well worth it.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I use the Leviton Decora smart switches, no complaints so far.

Does the Caseta remember your last dim setting?

Just realized for one of the lights we actually have 3 light switches that control it. Would Caseta still work for this? (I would just change 1 of the 3 to a Caseta, leave the other 2 as standard switches)

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Does the Caseta remember your last dim setting?
    No. Hue does though.

It's funny, sometimes I want it to remember last dim setting, other times, I don't. If I had to choose one way, I have no idea which way to go.

Just realized for one of the lights we actually have 3 light switches that control it. Would Caseta still work for this? (I would just change 1 of the 3 to a Caseta, leave the other 2 as standard switches)
    Replace the first switch with Caseta dimmer. Tie the ends on the 2 "remote" switches. Install 2 Pico remotes at the remote switches to control the first dimmer. It's detailed out in the instructions that comes with the dimmer.

Thanks for the input everyone. Got a bunch of caseta's installed today, the Pico remote is pretty handy to keep by the couch or use as a 3way on the wall. Had them install some timers for the fans in the bathroom as well.

No. Hue does though.

It's funny, sometimes I want it to remember last dim setting, other times, I don't. If I had to choose one way, I have no idea which way to go.
    I run z-wave switches to deal with this problem. When motion is detected after sunset it sets that room to a combination of dim levels I have built for the 4 switches controlling it. If i adjust the dim levels next motion it always defaults back to what I have programmed in. I can always adjust from that - I just tell alexa what percent to set the room or tell you to use a scene if I want a certain combo of presets.