Quantcast
Rodent Poop Found in SUV - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Rodent Poop Found in SUV

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

Default Rodent Poop Found in SUV

Hi All,

Asking here as i have no idea where to start with this. My wife said she found mouse droppings on the gear shift and dashboard of her Suv today. Any recommendations of where to take the SUV to get it cleaned/disinfected/rodent problem taken care of.

I have no idea how a mouse would have got in her SUV... She is home on mat leave but the car is used every 2-3 days and was last used yesterday.

I am a little more concerned about this as i have a newborn that will be riding in the car so want to make sure its take care of.

Its a 2 year old Kia Sportage if that makes any difference how the lil buggers may have got in.

My Ride
    KTM

I had a mouse get into(almost) my wife's old Pilot. It made it into the heater blower motor where it was turned into a nice blended mess. The smell was terrible.

Anyway, I took it apart and cleaned with bleach/water. Wasn't much more to do after that really. I would either give it a good detail or just take it for a good detail.

I'm assuming this vehicle is parked in a garage? Have you checked your garage?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Do you think some of the new eco friendly materials in new cars attracting rodents..?
    I saw this topic come up in forums of other makes.

Sorry.. could not resist posting this vid.

My Ride
    '11 Honda RL '21 RDX '96 Civic Hatch

We live in a new area (Livingston) and I also found mouse droppings in my Ridgeline (floor, child car seats, etc). I cleaned and threw out everything in the truck, vacuum and Lysol the interior. I check the engine air filter and cabin air filter as I was advised they might enter the vehicle through there but both were clean. I did park the truck in the garage after and did not see anything until I parked outside one evening. Next morning there were droppings again. Repeat the cleaning. I placed sticky pads and mouse traps with peanut butter and caught three of them. Looks like they were looking for a warm place to stay. I have since parked the truck inside with bounce sheets and mouse traps and so far no signs of droppings.

As for my impreza which was parked mostly outside the mice actually made a nest in my engine air filter but did not eat through the filter. Again looks like they were looking for a place to stay warm as I did not see any droppings in the car.

I have heard from a few people that placing bounce or dryer sheets in your vehicle as they do not like the smell. I cleaned my garage as well and didn't see any droppings. Been two weeks and no signs. Fingers crossed because it's gross and you can become sick from their droppings and urine.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you think some of the new eco friendly materials in new cars attracting rodents..?
    Yea, soy based wiring insulation, everyone's getting destroyed wiring harnesses. It's like candy to mice.

I only know this because it's a huge problem with Tesla's as they generate heat while charging at night. Food + warmth = dead car.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Can't really help but I have a nasty story to share...

Years ago, I parked my RSX in my moms shop for the winter. Set up mouse traps and what not but there is only so much you can do. I checked on the car once a month throughout the winter and didn't see anything to be alarmed at. But when I went to pick it up in the spring, I found mouse droppings in the trunk space. I had it booked for an oil change in Red Deer that afternoon and had to go straight there from my moms place. I found the nest so I did a quick vacuum job and started my way to Red Deer. I'm on highway 11 and I'm hauling ass when something on the floorboard catches my eye.

I look down and MOUSE!!!! The little bastard is running around my feet. I'm cruising at highway speed so it's not like a can really do anything. He ran off under my seat. Few minutes later, I feel something and he's on my shoe!!!! Tried climbing up my pant leg, but I shook him off. I got to the shop and dropped off the car. Told the advisor there's a mouse in there. Came back to pick it up and the mechanic is like 'Hey you have a mouse problem.' Told him I know. Went home and started a thorough cleaning job. It was quiet and I could here the little bastard running around somewhere. I kept on cleaning, had all the doors open when I spotted him jumping out the drivers side door.

Last I seen of him, he was scampering across 57th Ave in Red Deer.

Wish my mom still had barn cats out at her place. I grew up on the farm with several barn cats and I didn't see a mouse for like 10 years.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    something green

Yeah get a cat, they decimate the mice population rather quickly. One got into my Ramcharger, and nested in the heating system. It was pretty much jammed full of chewed paper and leaves. I broke down and got a cat, they are upkeep but they keep most rodents at bay.
    I should post this in the Voles/Moles thread, but the cat I have now has been slaughtering the moles around my property. The other day she bagged 2 in one day, and they were pretty large rodents, while she is not the biggest cat.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

We found mice/voles in our garage. I had now been cleaned out. We have them in the yard. Hopefully none found their ways into the vehicles. I will check often.

I had a friend who said he had a gerbil in his rear end, oh wait... forget it.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Star1995 View Post
    I had a friend who said he had a gerbil in his rear end, oh wait... forget it.

As a dude who’s married to a nurse, this is one of the more minor things people stick into there rear ends. It’s totally fucked up.

For the mouse in the car, buy some predator sticky pads and keep them on the dash and floor of the car while your not using it. If the mouse is still kicking around in the vehicle you’ll find it glued to one of them in no time.

My Ride
    '16 Golf TSI

This was a pretty bad issue with Venzas. My MIL had mice in hers, there was a pretty big opening from the engine bay into the interior... dealership said it wasn't a known issue but somehow they knew exactly where to put a piece of wire mesh in to stop them. Had that issue for a while until they all were caught and killed.

We knew they were in there from the droppings, but the first major instance was her just pulling in to work, about to move her foot over the brake, when one ran up into her pant leg. She is *super* scared of mice, freaked out and floored it, and drove into a big sliding gate and did quite a bit of damage. Yikes. Thank god she wasn't pulling into a parking space with people walking on a sidewalk in front or something.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Get. A. Cat.

we have lived out in bears paw for 12 years now and having two cats on an acreage, I have only ever seen mice when the cats were decimating them in the garage. never had a mouse go near let alone into a vehicle.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I had a mouse problem a few years ago, finally got rid of them all. Left one camera on the garage floor as a "mouse detector".
    Had this in my inbox Saturday morning. Trapped him later that day. No more so far.
    Neighbor's cat has been slacking, apparently.

Name:  mouse.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  22.1 KB

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Yeah it definitely helps when you get lucky and find a savage cat that is big and in shape, sadly I had the perfect specimen, he would eliminate rodent issues from voles to squirrels to rabbits regularly.

Unfortunately, some piece of shit decided to run him over 500m from my property.

He was a special one.

My Ride
    NC1

Haha that’s awesome. Fkn love cats!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxt View Post
    Yeah get a cat, they decimate the mice population rather quickly. One got into my Ramcharger, and nested in the heating system. It was pretty much jammed full of chewed paper and leaves. I broke down and got a cat, they are upkeep but they keep most rodents at bay.
    I should post this in the Voles/Moles thread, but the cat I have now has been slaughtering the moles around my property. The other day she bagged 2 in one day, and they were pretty large rodents, while she is not the biggest cat.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by CMW403 View Post
    Yeah it definitely helps when you get lucky and find a savage cat that is big and in shape, .
    My neighbor's cat is a killing machine.
    Saw him on my security cam early one morning dragging a rabbit home. Somehow he jumped the fence with it and delivered it to his owner at the back door.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Those bastards are crafty little buggers. Years ago at Hyundai, we used to store new overstock vehicles in a gravel lot beside a farm field. We had dozens of cars come in with wiring looms, air filters, seats, and floor mats completely destroyed. Mice can fit through a hole smaller than a dime so the firewall is no match to keep them out of the cabin. Ive seen 20+ living inside an air filter housing. Put rodent killer and traps in the garage and make sure any food, sugary pop residue and paper are kept out of the car especially if you are parking it for extended periods. Those pricks will find anything to eat.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post

Sorry.. could not resist posting this vid.

I think they are making fun of my Scion xB with that add as it is often referred to as the 'toaster'. lol.

Fuckin' hell though...I much prefer the looks of the xB than that ugly ass soul.

Oh and fuckin' mice are gross. I'd blow them up with the car if I ever saw one in my car. Carry on.