Quantcast
What to buy debate as well! Mid-30's to Mid 40's range - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: What to buy debate as well! Mid-30's to Mid 40's range

Default What to buy debate as well! Mid-30's to Mid 40's range

Talking to a friend, the more we look at vehicles we recognize there is great value for dollar coming from all markets but I think the debate of used vs New come into play and make it hard to decide on which path to go down.

First off, he's more in the market but totally knows the TCO operating costs between domestic (own'd jeeps), foreign (Hondas) and the Europeans (Volvo and Mercs)

but if you look at dollar for dollar, you can find some amazing deals on specifically "cars" as for some reason every soccer mom thinks SUV's are safer and more pratical.

At first, he was thinking hey... Stinger or G70, then wait, those Honda Accord turbo's quite nice and so is the new Maz 6 turbo.

but the long and short of it, he doesn't need any financing incentives, and some of the CPO's from Mercedes for instance, can get you into a 2-3 year old Merc E400 with under 60k/km for less than either of those, with almost the same amount of warranty coverage... with 4Matic and actual balls

thoughts?

My Ride
    toyota MR2

A-Class hatchback
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

For anyone looking at TCO, I always point them at Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4 doors with the pentastar V-6. Reason being, the TCO drops a lot as the residual resale value on those things is absolutely insane. You can buy a decently loaded one for the $40k range, drive it for 5 years, put 120,000 kms on it, and still sell it privately (trade in is a whole other story) for $29-$32k. Not 100% sure, but I can't think of another vehicle that holds value like that.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not 100% sure, but I can't think of another vehicle that holds value like that.
    Taco's and 4Runners hold their value pretty well. The next level down would be a Golf R. They still go for mid 30's for a 2-3 year old one.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Half tons crew cab trucks hold value really well too as long as you don't waste money accessorizing them. A buddy of mine just sold his 2015 gmc 1500 slt for $39k this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    For anyone looking at TCO, I always point them at Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4 doors with the pentastar V-6. Reason being, the TCO drops a lot as the residual resale value on those things is absolutely insane. You can buy a decently loaded one for the $40k range, drive it for 5 years, put 120,000 kms on it, and still sell it privately (trade in is a whole other story) for $29-$32k. Not 100% sure, but I can't think of another vehicle that holds value like that.
    Wrangler and Tacos resale average held 82% after 4 years.

https://www.canadianblackbook.com/2017awardwinners.html
    The Jeep Wrangler (Compact SUV) and the Toyota Tacoma (Small Pick-up) both held 82 per cent
    No way to predict future Wranglers as they just went thru a quite extensive refresh.

My Ride
    Silverado

Comparing resale value to MSRP isnt accurate.

Toyota wins all the awards because they have an honest MSRP. When I was looking at Tacoma's, the most I could get off MSRP was about 5%, so a 45,000 would be sold for 41 or 42 grand.

Comparibly, I bought a Silverado for $43,000 that had an MSRP of 51,000. And I wouldn't even consider what I got to be a good deal. So after 3 years both trucks are worth about 33,000 according to Kijiji. And the resale people will be like the Tacoma only lost 20% of value over 3 years where the Silverado lost 35%. But in reality they are very close in actual depreciation
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 11-02-2018 at 06:50 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 02:50 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    But in reality they are very close in actual depreciation
    Not to mention Tacomas (and really, most 1/4 ton trucks except for the new Colorado and Ranger) being useless doing truck things.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Not to mention Tacomas (and really, most 1/4 ton trucks except for the new Colorado and Ranger) being useless doing truck things.
    This isn't entirely true. They're useless at doing big truck things, but not useless full stop. My parents have a Taco in the states and they're really happy with it. Enough space for 4 people, good off road (this is a must since it's in HI), and they can fill the back with garbage, yard waste, sandy beach furniture, fishing gear - all things you don't want to put in a car/wagon/suv. Just big enough to tow their boat occasionally when it goes in/out of the water and it fits in the garage for the summer months. My dad has an F-350 here and really likes it, but it would be worse (or overkill) for almost everything the use their Taco for.

Back on topic, Lexus GX also retain their value incredibly well. Could buy one of almost any age and sell it a couple years later for nearly the same price.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

How about a Civic Type R ?

I think $42K+tax is quite a bargain, fully loaded already, don't need to spend another $15K on options like the Germans ...
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o