Quantcast
Concrete / Garage pad company recommendations - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Concrete / Garage pad company recommendations

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Default Concrete / Garage pad company recommendations

Anyone have suggestions on who to use to get a pad poured within the city?

I'm knocking down my single and widening it this summer and looking to start getting quotes.

My Ride
    *The First*

No one. All are varying levels of complete crooks.
    Everywhere.

*It's mostly a strategy of mitigating their crooked strategies.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No one. All are varying levels of complete crooks.
    Everywhere.

*It's mostly a strategy of mitigating their crooked strategies.
    Oh I know, hence hoping someone can at least point me to a few less scammy ones to get quotes.

So far I've found:

Impact Concrete, Apex Concrete, A1 Cement, Envirocrete, Bedrock Construction. But know haven't really started trying to find reviews yet.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 01-06-2022 at 02:37 PM.

I have had many successes with rolling mix.
    They have done my pads, sidewalks, and foundations with very little issues.

My Ride
    *The First*

I've heard repeated, excellent reviews for these guys, but I have no direct experience:
    https://www.ruralrootsstoneworks.com/

*Note Rolling Mix is a concrete supplier company, aren't they?
    He needs someone to place & finish.

My Ride
    dad van

I've heard repeated, excellent reviews for these guys, but I have no direct experience:
    https://www.ruralrootsstoneworks.com/

*Note Rolling Mix is a concrete supplier company, aren't they?
    He needs someone to place & finish.
    Rolling mix is a supplier but they also do prep place & finish as well.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Mix Website
    Rollingmix delivers, pumps, and places concrete for any private needs or larger commercial projects. Concrete work is taken care of from start to finish.
    I hear they do it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Depends how much you value quality, or if you just want someone who won't fuck you over.

Rolling Mix is probably a decent bet for not boning you.

Concrete Innovations is good, but likely won't be cost-competitive.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by gcoap View Post
    Rolling mix is a supplier but they also do prep place & finish as well.
    ya...and in terms of the concrete they sell, its shit. Better off getting it from Burnco or Inland.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Lex350 View Post
    ya...and in terms of the concrete they sell, its shit. Better off getting it from Burnco or Inland.
    That can definitely happen. When I worked with/in concrete, I recall we ordered from Rolling Mix, Lafarge, Burnco, Champion and Edmonton Transit. I don't think we ever got a bad batch that we couldn't work with but there definitely were a few loads that were 45min old by arrival and that's bullshit.
    It's a brutal industry but there is a pile of money to be made in it if you can: estimate well, keep your prices low, keep Meth-Heads motivated and get the bigger thieves (the builders) to just fucking pay me, HoLySwEeTfUcK pay me you filthy, stealing cunt!!

I'm definitely not a lumping former MLA like Peter Sandhu into that category, though. The category of builder who is a thief because of not paying anyone.
    No. Super honorable.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Look into the smaller companies. My buddy does concrete. He re-did my steps and walkway. Does pretty good work and his prices are fair if you want to get into contact with him, pm me

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

That can definitely happen. When I worked with/in concrete, I recall we ordered from Rolling Mix, Lafarge, Burnco, Champion and Edmonton Transit. I don't think we ever got a bad batch that we couldn't work with but there definitely were a few loads that were 45min old by arrival and that's bullshit.
    It's a brutal industry but there is a pile of money to be made in it if you can: estimate well, keep your prices low, keep Meth-Heads motivated and get the bigger thieves (the builders) to just fucking pay me, HoLySwEeTfUcK pay me you filthy, stealing cunt!!

I'm definitely not a lumping former MLA like Peter Sandhu into that category, though. The category of builder who is a thief because of not paying anyone.
    No. Super honorable.

I guess i have high standards. My dad worked in the industry for over 55 years. Designed our own concrete plant too. My brother is still in the industry. I'd recommend him because his finishers are top notch but he is just too busy to take on small jobs. One builder in particular makes up 90% of this business and they are killing it. I got lucky...only did about 3 years of cribbing being times at school. I got out! lol
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

I have used them about 12 times and have not received a bad batch yet. Fingers crossed.

My Ride
    V8s

I guess i have high standards. My dad worked in the industry for over 55 years.
    That's wild, good for him. I can't imagine working for 55 years

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    That's wild, good for him. I can't imagine working for 55 years
    He retired for 2 days when he was 65 and then worked till 77. He only retired then because he sold his company.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Depends how much you value quality, or if you just want someone who won't fuck you over.

Rolling Mix is probably a decent bet for not boning you.

Concrete Innovations is good, but likely won't be cost-competitive.

Agreed.

EVERY company has the potential to bone you. Every company has the potential to mix a bad batch. Life and business is such. My one BIL is third generation concrete guy. His early career was working for his dad who was a Super building skyscrapers downtown and the beltline area in the 70s. When things crashed here in the early 80s, they moved to doing residential, smaller jobs. They've been using only Rolling Mix concrete ever since then. Would he say RM is the best. Hell no. They are consistently good and they are fair. Now as far as hiring Rolling Mix to do the work ( supply, place and finish ), IMHO, it depends on a lot of things. Chances are they'll do a decent job. I found the bigger the company, the bigger the variables for things to go sideways.

As for Concrete Innovations being none cost-competitive. Well two things. Number one, you get what you pay for. You want tenderloin and all the trimmings or Mcdonalds. Mario used to be the tenderloin of that industry. Number two and a FYI, after 20 years, CI was sold last year to new owners.

My Ride
    dad van

Quote Originally Posted by blueToy View Post
    Agreed.

EVERY company has the potential to bone you. Every company has the potential to mix a bad batch. Life and business is such. My one BIL is third generation concrete guy. His early career was working for his dad who was a Super building skyscrapers downtown and the beltline area in the 70s. When things crashed here in the early 80s, they moved to doing residential, smaller jobs. They've been using only Rolling Mix concrete ever since then. Would he say RM is the best. Hell no. They are consistently good and they are fair. Now as far as hiring Rolling Mix to do the work ( supply, place and finish ), IMHO, it depends on a lot of things. Chances are they'll do a decent job. I found the bigger the company, the bigger the variables for things to go sideways.

As for Concrete Innovations being none cost-competitive. Well two things. Number one, you get what you pay for. You want tenderloin and all the trimmings or Mcdonalds. Mario used to be the tenderloin of that industry. Number two and a FYI, after 20 years, CI was sold last year to new owners.
    The shitty thing is if the contractor does shit prep but hires a decent finishing crew you can have what looks like a good result in the short term. I'd be asking to see jobs completed that are a few years old. Especially in new build areas where settling is an issue Ie https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/413...96#post5024696 ( also note the lack of chairs holding up the rebar in the slab, they will say that they will pull it up but that doesn't always happen) take a look at the settling that has occurred. This is almost a non issue due to the contractor using brackets. I have run into this issue when contractors fail to use brackets. The slab will look great right after its placed but a year down the road that will be cracked and sunk with the settling. And run if anyone try's to tell you fibre in the concrete is a replacement for rebar.