Quantcast
Atco 3 year promo - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Atco 3 year promo

My Ride
    2014 Lexus IS250

Default Atco 3 year promo

Has anyone seen the current ATCO Energy Promo?

$3 GJ Nat Gas
    0.03 KWH Electricity

The Electricity Rate seems hot but the Nat Gas Rate is a bit high.

https://www.atco.com/en-ca/energy.html

My house uses about 1200KWH per month & Nat Gas is about 12 GJ per month. Based on last years floating rate + transaction fees (around ~$1/GJ) (yes historical NG rates give us no picture of the future) it looks like I will save about $500/yr.

Thoughts?

I'm assuming you read the thread on RFD? From the numbers people are discussing there it doesn't seem like a good deal since you are paying a higher rate for gas.

My Ride
    2014 Lexus IS250

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm assuming you read the thread on RFD? From the numbers people are discussing there it doesn't seem like a good deal since you are paying a higher rate for gas.
    Yes I took a read. I just use so much more electricity than gas. Plus with gas around $1 + the $1 fee you are paying about $1 more per GJ. So I guess it really depends on the mix of energy you use.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    I think fixed natural gas is a bad deal regardless who you go with.

But Enmax's fixed rate is $3.8 so ATCO is still cheaper.

So if you like paying fixed cost, ATCO deal is still better than ENMAX's EasyMax. And if you drive an EV, it's a slam dunk at 3c/kwh. At 1000kwh/month, electricity will be $30 less per month. But $1/GJ more at 10GJ per month, it's $10 more. So net saving for me would be around $240 per year if all costs stay the same.

The question is will NG prices goes up once the LNG Canada terminal and infrastructure is all built out?
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-06-2018 at 03:28 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    The question is will NG prices goes up once the LNG Canada terminal and infrastructure is all built out?
    It absolutely will, but that's YEARS away.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I was hoping for another "Jan/Feb Free Energy" promo. Fuck was that awesome last year. Garage at 23* for the coldest 2 months in recent history. 35gj of gas each month for free, not to mention the electricity too, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Yep, it will... well after this 3 year promo is over. :P
    ---

My Ride
    2023 Durango SRT 392

Just signed up for it (My direct energy contract was up) we use lots of electricity in this house and not much gas (I like it cold) - FYI direct energy Cancellations couldn't match it closest they could get was 3.99 for electricity for 1 year
    "Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

I was just chatting with ATCO and i signed up last year for the free two months and i paid an average of 2.99 / gj on atco... it looks like Enmax average was in the mid 2 range. and they are predicting a cold winter in the east so that will drive price up higher... not crazy high but looking at the consumption of my house the atco 3 yr deal is good for me...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Reviewed my bill recently, basically I use $30 in gas but there is $80 of fee and carbon tax. For electricity it's about $30 + $50 of fees. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think energy prices is what I worry about.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I did the math the other day, I use was more KW than GJ. If this coming year is the same as the past 11 months, I'll spend an extra $50 on Nat.Gas, but save $450 on Electricity, so net savings will be $400 give or take per year.

This is excluding fee's, taxes, etc., just KWh and GJ used.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

I don't know how but my variable gas on enmax is between $0.5 and $1.29 with a $1 transaction fee. So I am still paying $1.50 - $2.00 for gas a GJ (assuming the $3 includes the transaction fee).

So $3.00 gas is brutal for me. Even though I only used 11 GJ this month come winter I will be 30GJ and variable electricity is only $0.3 higher, so saves like $15.00. Math doesn't work in my favor based on what I've done.

Cos...

Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post
    I was just chatting with ATCO and i signed up last year for the free two months and i paid an average of 2.99 / gj on atco... it looks like Enmax average was in the mid 2 range. and they are predicting a cold winter in the east so that will drive price up higher... not crazy high but looking at the consumption of my house the atco 3 yr deal is good for me...
    Good old msrketing. Dsily seco is sitting a rad over 1 gj right now and q1 curbe is 1.30 gj right now. Cold weather be damned.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by O&G View Post
    Good old msrketing. Dsily seco is sitting a rad over 1 gj right now and q1 curbe is 1.30 gj right now. Cold weather be damned.
    Great and informative post!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Great and informative post!
    Reads like a Gestalt post.

I made the switch... I use more Electricity and with the $50 credit they offered before Dec and lower fee I should be saving $400-500 a year.

My Ride
    14 ZL1

Made the switch. I have similar looking numbers to those above, $50 more per year for gas compared to 2018 on variable and save $200 per year on electricity (was on $0.0589/kwh fixed).
    Mike
    14 ZL1
    07 Mazdaspeed3

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    I don't know how but my variable gas on enmax is between $0.5 and $1.29 with a $1 transaction fee. So I am still paying $1.50 - $2.00 for gas a GJ (assuming the $3 includes the transaction fee).

So $3.00 gas is brutal for me. Even though I only used 11 GJ this month come winter I will be 30GJ and variable electricity is only $0.3 higher, so saves like $15.00. Math doesn't work in my favor based on what I've done.

So you guys made me look again. I made a pretty crude spreadsheet (happy to share it) that you put in your gas costs, electric costs, fees, etc. Was surprised it came out to save me about $175 a year using my bills back to Sept 2016. Saves me about $20 a month in the summer and costs me about $10 a month in the winter.

I'm going to look into the fine print to make sure I'm not missing anything. But it does seem that it is a good deal.

Edit:

Ok so a couple things I missed but you guys might want to know. The $3 gas includes the admin fee, which with Easymax is $0.99. So my 18 month average for gas is $1.9 BUT you have to add $0.99. So really the gas I am paying is like $2.80 right now. There is a $150 cancellation fee with ATCO and it goes down $50 a year. Last, you have to give Enmax (in my case) 30 days notice to change but when you sign up you can specify the start date as 30 days from now.

My average gas WITH the .99 is $2.8597 so it costs me $0.15 a GJ more and I use about 110GJ a year... so $17 a year more for gas. My electricity is average $0.0554, so save $0.0254. And I use 8,000kwh a year usually. So save $200 on that. Plus the transaction fee is $1.00 cheaper on both Gas and Power. So $24. So really........ charge me more for gas, save it on the admin fee. Cheaper electricity.
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 12-12-2018 at 02:04 PM.
    Cos...

I just did a thorough comparison of my 2017 and 2018 bills with Enmax variable electricity and gas including the grandfathered $100/yr credit and lower $.47/GJ transaction fee.
    Would have saved $31.69 in 2017 but $3.79 more in 2018 vs the Atco $.03/kW, $3/GJ.

I'm sticking with Enmax as long as they continue my grandfathered Easymax credit and lower transaction fee. That saves me about $175/yr indefinitely whereas the fixed Atco rates end in 3 years. Once the 3 year contract is up, the fixed rates may not be as good and then I'd be going back to variable without the yearly credit and lower transaction fee.

For anyone else that's isn't getting these grandfathered Easymax perks, it's probably worth the switch.

So as someone with no prior rates or agreements with enmax... is this a good deal? I see so much talk of yes and no.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Thats one of the reasons I haven't switched. My EasyMax rewards $100 credit. Too bad Enmax isn't matching any promos this year tho
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast