Quantcast
Light therapy - Seasonal Affective Disorder - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Light therapy - Seasonal Affective Disorder

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Light therapy - Seasonal Affective Disorder

My Dr has suggested that I get myself a light therapy light, and I'm just in the beginning stages of my research. Anyone out there have recommendations for places to look either for good info or to purchase the lights themselves?

I see Amazon has lots at widely varying price points. I just got confused looking there.

Suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    G37X

Didn't do shit for me. My solution was a 2 week trip to Cancun

Increase vitamin D. By A LOT!

Had a long conversation with some people with Canprev I know more than I need regarding vitamin D and vitamin K.
    Let me know if you want more info.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10888476/

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I use a light. I enjoy waking up to some light vs. pure blackness more than I think it does anything.

And fuck Mike that CanPrev stuff looks quality.
    http://www.canprev.ca/products/produ...nprev_core_men
    Ultracrepidarian

CanPrev is pricey but they do testing on their products to keep improving (that could just be the sales pitch) and they are a Canadian company.

They dropped the iU for D3 in their D3&K2 drops from 1000iU to 250iU. I guess K2 is derrived from fermented soy which they found 40% would die off within a few months. So they've gone with a different source which is Rose oil and Canfor oil. The particle is bigger and thus they had to reduce the amount of D3.
    They do have liquid gel capsules with this new K2 and the D3 at 1000iU's for sale. I just need to get those for next time.

Also D3 is derrived from lanolin from sheep wool for CanPrev products. Other sources of D3 are fish.
    Nordic Naturals is creating D3 from Lichen which is supposed to be great too and Vegan.

D3 is used because it is more bioavailable than D1 or D2. Both Vitamin D3 and K2 should be dissolved in fats to be best absorbed by the body. Hence why most D3 products are dissolved in MCT oil. A solid pill will be less effective or not effective at all.

For Vitamin K info. Go here: https://www.vitamink.com/

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

Saw the Happylight at the East Hills Costco by the entrance yesterday, didn't pay attention to the price but if you're looking to try it might as well get it from there and just return it easily if its not your thing.
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Holy fuck - VItamin D is just amazing.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Vitamin D is good, and a good tip, but not a complete solution for me.

Thanks to @LadyLuck for being the first person with a response to my question!
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Vitamin D is good, and a good tip, but not a complete solution for me.

Thanks to @LadyLuck for being the first person with a response to my question!
    Most welcome! Let us know how it works, I may consider picking it up myself.
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

My Ride

What is the consensus on SHORT SESSION use of tanning beds in the winter? I know everyone harps on them for skin cancer but I am thinking of 5-10 minute session 1-2x a week for SAD.

One year when I was living in Vancouver, we had something 38 days of rain in a row (ie rained every day for 38 days, but not continuously) and it was so dark and grey all the time that I tried popping into a nearby tanning salon for 5-10 minute sessions 1,2x a week .... and I found it definitely improved my mood.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

How much Vitamin D3 are you guys taking usually? 1 pill is 25 mcg and 1000 IUs. I heard some people taking up to 10 pills a day, wtf?

7000iU/d

Blood test showed 58 ng/mL. I was middle of the pack on the scale. 40-80ng/mL is a healthy range.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hai guise, after a lot of research, I decided to go big! Seems like most of the smaller models don't deliver rated lux unless they are 4" from your eyes. That seemed impractical. Picked up the northern light technology "boxelite" model. This beast is l-a-r-g-e! Will let y'all know my opinions once I've used it for a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    What is the consensus on SHORT SESSION use of tanning beds in the winter? I know everyone harps on them for skin cancer but I am thinking of 5-10 minute session 1-2x a week for SAD.

One year when I was living in Vancouver, we had something 38 days of rain in a row (ie rained every day for 38 days, but not continuously) and it was so dark and grey all the time that I tried popping into a nearby tanning salon for 5-10 minute sessions 1,2x a week .... and I found it definitely improved my mood.
    . @revelations , I don't think there is a consensus. Although you aren't the only person I know who has seen good results.

My Ride

- - - Updated - - -

. @revelations , I don't think there is a consensus. Although you aren't the only person I know who has seen good results.
    Yea us pasty white folk take NO time to get vitamin D from sunlight - I think it was something like 15 min of sun during the solar noon at summer - is apparently more than enough.

Thats why a 5 min tan session would be enough for me - but not enough to really get a tan.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post

I don't do it anymore, but when I was living back home in Ladysmith on the island I used to do a little tanning (8 minutes once a week.) It certainly improved my mood/energy. I always wore eye protection and moisturized afterwards. I think it's like anything, don't go overboard and you should be ok. I don't find a need to do it in Calgary due to our fairly consistent sunlight. Don't need to go Jersey Shore mode either. A little tanning does wonders though. Much better than being depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    I don't do it anymore, but when I was living back home in Ladysmith on the island I used to do a little tanning (8 minutes once a week.) It certainly improved my mood/energy. I always wore eye protection and moisturized afterwards. I think it's like anything, don't go overboard and you should be ok. I don't find a need to do it in Calgary due to our fairly consistent sunlight. Don't need to go Jersey Shore mode either. A little tanning does wonders though. Much better than being depressed.
    GTL for life.

I actually did this for a while, same deal 7-8 minutes/week. Not sure if it helped as it was before I found out I suffer from moderate sleep apnea so I was always tired anyways. Regardless it’s freaking relaxing, I would do it again purely for the meditative aspect, zone out with white noise for 8 minutes (sometimes fell asleep), leave refreshed.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, so far I'm happy with the northern light technologies boxelite. Partly because it's so large and not portable, I really need to carve out a space in my day without distractions or other goals. I feel that by itself is beneficial. I've been sitting in front of it with a cup of coffee, so at the end of 20-25 minutes, I'm starting to feel the caffeine, and that feeling lasts a while.

Not at all a scientific test of the light, I realize, but I feel it's helping me, which was my goal. Now to remember to use it every day.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Action shot as I work on my resume for a new opportunity:
    Name:  20181205_094124.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  47.8 KB

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Action shot as I work on my resume for a new opportunity:
    Name:  20181205_094124.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  47.8 KB
    Busted this bad boy out for the season. Need to remember to carve out the time to use it daily.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Fucking cold in my house, so I'm sitting in front of the fireplace, Boxelite inches from my face, no shirt to maximize benefits, drinking coffee and posting on beyond. PM me for sexy pics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast