Quantcast
Oumuamua alien space probe. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Oumuamua alien space probe.

Default Oumuamua alien space probe.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ard-professors

Sounds like a theory to me. It actually significantly sped up when passing the sun, much like how we sent out space probes at exact angles to the planets to slingshot them to gain extra speed with gravity.

Made with carbon no less. Personally I think its space sperm, which technically is a probe too.

Aliens I tell you.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I watched the following TED Talk a couple of months back. Pretty insightful.

Greatly downplayed by the media for some reason. It is technically the first "Interstellar object" we have ever witnessed. Even comets are orbital.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Greatly downplayed by the media for some reason. It is technically the first "Interstellar object" we have ever witnessed. Even comets are orbital.
    It's really not all that important. It's estimated there's several thousand interstellar objects passing through the solar system at any given point in time. The only interesting thing is it's the first detected. That's mostly due to the whole effort behind detecting life threatening asteroids. It was large enough and close enough for us to "see" it. It's not really unique in any way shape or form and mostly not all that interesting.

And it's not aliens.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

If anyone was going to post this... it would be ZenOps.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

A different article (not Guardian) mentioned that the scientist was remaining OPEN to all options, and not shutting down the possibility of non-terrestrial technology.

In his statement, he alluded that the acceleration forces on the object were not consistent with KNOWN forces that act on bodies in the Solar System - ie there was another force involved. The scientist alluded to something like a solar sail, which could accelerate based on solar wind-like forces as one option but acknowledged that the shape of the object at the time of the visual observation did not lend itself to that.

This force, while presently unknown, does not eliminate the possibility that there was technology involved.

That thing's gonna hurt going up my ass.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 11:50 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Actual photo of ZenOps
    Name:  Flight-o-the-Navigator.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  76.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

^ hahah, "compliance"

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    That thing's gonna hurt going up my ass.
    Quoted for posterity

More like quoted for posterior.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    A different article (not Guardian) mentioned that the scientist was remaining OPEN to all options, and not shutting down the possibility of non-terrestrial technology.

In his statement, he alluded that the acceleration forces on the object were not consistent with KNOWN forces that act on bodies in the Solar System - ie there was another force involved. The scientist alluded to something like a solar sail, which could accelerate based on solar wind-like forces as one option but acknowledged that the shape of the object at the time of the visual observation did not lend itself to that.

This force, while presently unknown, does not eliminate the possibility that there was technology involved.
    You can find random quacks to repeat whatever gibberish will get you them in the mainstream news... The acceleration difference in question is tiny. Specifically it's estimated the object "accelerated" by ~ 0.000005 m/s^2 too fast for a purely gravitational explanation... That minor difference is specifically called out as likely being due to the object off gassing in a manner similar to a comet. When icy object get close to the sun they warm up and release gas that's the most likely scenario to explain the minor deviation from a purely gravitational acceleration.

See paper for details: http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/~meech/pap...018-Nature.pdf

The problem with the media and the public is that no one would read an article saying: "Interstellar object experiences 0.000005 m/s^2 non-gravitational acceleration" so instead we get "Interstellar object with ALIEN ROCKET SHIP HERP DERP!".

Path as seen from earth was crazy trippy though.

Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

Sorry, I'm gonna need a "You are here" star on that image.

It passes by Uranus. Bodes well for Suntan's assumptions.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    You can find random quacks to repeat whatever gibberish will get you them in the mainstream news... The acceleration difference in question is tiny. Specifically it's estimated the object "accelerated" by ~ 0.000005 m/s^2 too fast for a purely gravitational explanation... That minor difference is specifically called out as likely being due to the object off gassing in a manner similar to a comet. When icy object get close to the sun they warm up and release gas that's the most likely scenario to explain the minor deviation from a purely gravitational acceleration.

See paper for details: http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/~meech/pap...018-Nature.pdf

The problem with the media and the public is that no one would read an article saying: "Interstellar object experiences 0.000005 m/s^2 non-gravitational acceleration" so instead we get "Interstellar object with ALIEN ROCKET SHIP HERP DERP!".
    Im not sure where the quacks come in:

The chair of Harvard’s Astronomy Department, Avi Loeb, Ph.D., and his Israel colleague Schmuel Bialy, Ph.D., at Tel Aviv University in Israel have published a paper in the Cornell University Library archive entitled, “Could Solar Radiation Pressure Explain Oumuamua’s Peculiar Acceleration?” The two scientists propose that the comet could have been traveling with light-sail technology.
    The small amount of acceleration is certainly detectable but not readily explainable at present.

You should probably not call these acclaimed scientists, quacks. And then perhaps, read their actual study that was released last week (which is certainly beyond me at a mathematical level).

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1810.11490.pdf

Considering an artificial origin, one possibility is that
    ‘Oumuamua is a lightsail, floating in interstellar space as a debris
    from an advanced technological equipment (Loeb 2018).
    Lightsails with similar dimensions have been designed and
    constructed by our own civilization, including the IKAROS
    project and the Starshot Initiative2
    . The lightsail technology
    might be abundantly used for transportation of cargos
    between planets (Guillochon & Loeb 2015) or between stars
    (Lingam & Loeb 2017). In the former case, dynamical ejection
    from a planetary System could result in space debris of
    equipment that is not operational any more 3
    (Loeb 2018),
    and is floating at the characteristic speed of stars relative
    to each other in the Solar neighborhood. This would account
    for the various anomalies of ‘Oumuamua, such as the
    unusual geometry inferred from its lightcurve
    Last edited by revelations; 11-07-2018 at 04:57 PM.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Call us crazy but my wife and I witnessed a UFO one night about two weeks ago when we were walking back to the house after an evening hunt. It was dusk and there was still quite a bit of light out. We saw a massive blue and white flashing thing fly through the sky that was way too large to be a shooting star and was moving way too slow as well. It probably lasted about 2 solid seconds. Both looked at each other and were like W T F... I'm a believer.

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Call us crazy but my wife and I witnessed a UFO one night about two weeks ago when we were walking back to the house after an evening hunt. It was dusk and there was still quite a bit of light out. We saw a massive blue and white flashing thing fly through the sky that was way too large to be a shooting star and was moving way too slow as well. It probably lasted about 2 solid seconds. Both looked at each other and were like W T F... I'm a believer.
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 333
Size:  956.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Im not sure where the quacks come in:

The small amount of acceleration is certainly detectable but not readily explainable at present.

You should probably not call these acclaimed scientists, quacks. And then perhaps, read their actual study that was released last week (which is certainly beyond me at a mathematical level).

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1810.11490.pdf
    Do you even read the papers you link? The whole paper is about a hypothetical scenario whereby they examine if an object could be accelerated through solar radiation pressure to mimic the acceleration measured. The whole thing concludes with yes it's possible but the object would have to be between 0.3 to 0.9 mm thick and a few km's wide.

You guys are getting all excited because the deviation from expected is ~ 0.000005 m/s^2. Do you even realize how slow that is? That's 5 micrometers per second squared. A piece of paper is about 150 micrometers thick...

This does have real implications though. Up until now, we have just been sending probes along planets, to gain a little extra speed. Throwing a football over a lake to try and hit a fish.

Now we might actually have two points in the sky that might be worth investigating.

Dun dun duhh.

https://www.centauri-dreams.org/2018...nd-lightsails/
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast