Quantcast
Assembling an Old Fashioned Making Kit as a Gift - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Assembling an Old Fashioned Making Kit as a Gift

Default Assembling an Old Fashioned Making Kit as a Gift

Figured there might be someone who is a big old fashioned fan on the board here who might have some good input.

Looking to put together an entire kit as a X-mas gift. So far I've sourced a few ones on amazon/online, include a shake/strainer/muddle. Some include 1 or 2 bitters. And then 1-2 sphere ice cube molds.

Curious if anyone knows of a good place locally or recommend a good brand so that I can pick up a few more bitters flavors and ideally maybe 8-12 ice cubes so that you aren't just able to make 1-2 at a time.

Was likely going to stop by Willow Park in the next week or two to select a good Bourbon (Might just do Makers Mark, or see if someone there has a good suggestion).

But yah if someone knows of a good place to pick up bitters/cube trays/bar sugar etc. or a full kit that would be helpful. Otherwise I'll just try to pick a chunk online/amazon soon so that I can get it shipped assembled early enough not to worry.

Go to Willow Park. See what bitters they have take a picture. Then go to https://silkroadspices.ca/ Silk Road in Inglewood and buy some bitters there that you can't find at Willow Park. It's an awesome spice place and I also know they have smaller bitters kits too. They might have bar sugar too or simple syrups.

Don't do Maker's Mark. Buffalo Trace is very good and mid-range priced. Personally I really like it. Was recommended to me by Sister who's a more seasoned Whiskey and Scotch drinker.
    https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...urbon-whiskey/

Ice cubes... you're on your own. I don't really know a great sphere one that can get all the air bubbles out.

My Ride
    A250

Vine Arts Wine and Spirits should have full cocktail kits there or you can piece together your own since they carry Barware, Spirits, and Bitters. Silk Road Spice Merchants also have a great selection of bitters and they let you test them.

If you are only making Old Fashioned then you don't need a shaker. You can make the cocktail directly in the glass or a mixing pitcher and they typically use a single large ice sphere/cube for presentation.

Bourbon is quite subjective so definitely chat with employees about your taste or what you think your friends would like.

Home bar setup:
    Barware - Hudson's Bay, HomeSense, Vine Arts
    Bourbon - Old Grand Dad (Willow Park), Woodford Reserve (Costco)
    Ice Molds - Amazon
    Sugar - Sugar Cubes (Grocery), Honey Syrup (Drizzle)
    Last edited by AzNxHyDrA; 11-08-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Added Preferred Stores

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Home sense always have fancy and high quality bar wares for really good prices. i would almost start there first

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Definitely ice cube molds, Amazon has good ones, even the 2.5" cubes are good, spheres can be kind of a pain in the ass.

As for bourbon, MM is way too bland. You want something with some more character. Knob Creek is great, the 9yr is better but the regular is tasty as well. Surprisingly the woodford reserve from Costco is quite good too (they also sell regular knob creek for $41 which is a good price, 9yr is usually $80).

A peeler, for orange peels obvs (and suggest different oranges/citrus for different tastes, mandarin, blood, etc.)

A good set of crystal glasses, Home Sense has really nice, heavy and good looking crystal double old fashioned glasses in packs of 4.

I personally don't really use lots of other bitters in OF, just the regular angostura bitters. I do experiment with the sugar though, white sugar or cubes is boring, so maybe a little thing of maple syrup, or dark brown sugar, this influences the drink more than the bitters IMO

Cocktail spoon, the rest of a martini set isn't useful (I guess except the shot measure)

Love me some OF!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Awesome! Really appreciate the tips/feedback.

I do love me some OF as well. Hayden Block and Proof are staples during the summer time for sure.

I'll do some driving around this weekend and maybe throw a compilation up in here once I've completed my search in a few weeks. This will be a fun gift to make so I'm going to enjoy it.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Brown sugar or demerara sugar will change the drink completely. Quite nicely with certain bourbons.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Bourbon barrel aged maple syrup brought my Old Fashioned’s to the next level.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Depending on budget... wintersmith for the ice sphere mold

Also maybe an orange and a little torch lighter? (They burn the orange oils and run the glass with the peel before adding for garnish at milk tiger... very nice touch)

Also some nice hardwood too so they can use the torch to smoke the glass

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The jet lighter torch with wood block and oranges.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

I like Bullit personally

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Bullit or Makers for some decent but affordable stuff IMO. Typical bottle of Angostura bitters. Large ice cube tray. Simple syrup. I like to mix mine in the glass with the ice and a stiring spoon but that's up to the bartender. Id also lightly burn an orange peel for flavour at times (optional).

That wintersmith kit sure looks nice but ~$150 for 4 ice cubes is a wee bit high

Yes a torch/wood block will be ideal. Would be great if a kit had the torch/wood/shaker/strainer/peeler/muddle all in one. And then go grab a few bitters/simple syrups. or the Dem sugar. Might be a bit of driving all around the city but see what I can get done this weekend. It does look like the ice spheres from amazon will be a best bet, some decent choices. Yah air bubbles aren't ideal but its a fun xmas gift for home.

Oh and forgot to Include I'll probably be spending somewhere in the $220-250 range depending how everything adds up
    Last edited by colinxx235; 11-09-2018 at 10:19 AM.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I've got a $15 ice mold that makes one clear ice cube. It's a silicone mold where one ice cube sits on top of the other, and the whole thing is in an insulated jacket. The top cube freezes first and pushes all the bubbles/junk to the bottom cube. The top cube is clear and the bottom cube is the sacrificial one that is cloudy.

Can't remember the brand but they are a well known ice cube mold company. They also make one that is a trough set up where you can make more than one cube at a time.

Coincidentally, I just saw this pop up on twitter

Name:  Drh75QMV4AA3Ig6.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  83.1 KB

"Looking to start your Christmas shopping Now available instore for $25.99! These make perfect gifts for people who love whiskey or cocktails or both!!! Get yours before they're gone because they won't last long!"

https://twitter.com/Craftcellars/sta...33948693598208

Eh CC with glasses/shot pour not really what I had in mind. Here are a few I thought might be a good start

https://www.amazon.com/Fashioned-Coc.../dp/B06X6N91SP

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BQJVCPR...c-63a21304c74e

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GPQQT97...3-8152b34f9930

I'll be probably going to Willow Park and The William Sonomoa/Home sense Saturday to see what I can source locally first. Grab a few of the things and then piece the rest together via online/amazon.

Thought I would update this. Went on the weekend and actually got almost everything I needed at Willow Park. Ended up definitely spending more than expected but because it was a cool gift for my Dad decided it was okay to bump it up a bit. I got everything I wanted except for a cedar board to burn, but I think he has about 10-12 boards at home of mixed variety so hopefully he can use 1 haha. Now looking forward to that be opened and used on the 24th/25th this year

But the list I ended up getting cost ~$380 after everything.
    - 4 x crystal double OF glasses $$
    - 2 x Hella bitters (1 aromatic 1 orange)
    - 1 x crystal jug for mixing
    - 1 x strainer
    - 1 x peeler
    - 1 x mixer spoon
    - 1 x muddler
    - 2 x 2 sphere ice cube molds
    - 1 x jar of cherries
    - 1 x Woodford Reserve Bourbon
    - 1 x Cocktail/Bitters OF book on recipes/history
    - 1 x Torch with butane bottle (Canadian tire)

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

cedar is a soft wood... i would avoid that. oak is great, or cherry

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

As a personal preference after trying a lot of Old Fashioneds, Luxardo cherries are paramount, as are using orange and cherry bitters.

Good call on that particular bourbon, I really like it, especially the double oaked.
    Ultracrepidarian