Quantcast
2013 Acura TL SH AWD 6 speed manual - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Acura TL SH AWD 6 speed manual

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s been almost 8 months since I bought a personal car and that’s a long ass time for me. I love my Z06 and will keep that for years unless I become significantly more wealthy, but my diesel VW is so ungodly uninspiring to drive that I contemplate hawking it daily for something more special.
    Trade you for the Honda fit?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Trade you for the Honda fit?
    Tempting.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

We can do a month swap to see how we each like it. I might miss the Savage speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    Has anyone seen this ad??...last I saw he had it at $8500...according to this guy it's rebuilt and HAS passed inspection, just needs new clutch. If he's down to $8000 that's a pretty good deal, no?

According to previous threads on rebuilt cars, they're "better than new" because of Alberta's "stringent" inspections...

And this one seems priced low enough to make up for the fact of perceived loss in value...I honestly can't see too much that can wrong with it mechanically especially if those km are true.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

Fuck, I've almost talked myself into actually going to look at it....hmmm..
    If it's rebuilt, then of course it has passed inspection, otherwise it would be salvage. There is nothing stringent about a rebuild inspection, you take it to Canadian tire, they check all the basic shit, and then give it a pass/fail. I sold a car of mine that got a front fender hit, the buyer drove it straight to CT without doing any work and got it passed.

That being said, nothing wrong with rebuilt status other than it having no resale value if you ever want to dump it. But if you're buying anyway make sure to go over it thoroughly. Big thing is to check alignment. Things can visually pass an inspection, only to find out down the road that your tires are wearing out because you have a slightly bent control arm or something that was never replaced.

My Ride
    G37X

I would buy it for $800.00. Mine was in 2 minor claims but it was fixed properly and has active status. As in minor parking lot bumps, not demolition derby crashes like that $8000.00 heap. Worn out clutch? Ghetto rims? NE special, pass !

Side note on carfax, my former 6-6 had a minor bump ($2200 dented bumper and trunk lid) which did not show up on the carproof when I looked at the dealers ad. What's the deal with that?? I reported the collision to CPS and had it fixed properly but still. Does carfax not receive minor claims?

https://www.calgarymotorsltd.ca/cars...d-Coupe-82329/

LOL at 8 months being a long time to keep a car, I thought I was bad for averaging 1.5 - 2 years

TL SH AWD with studded winters is damn near unstoppable even in side streets packed with snow and ice. Only limit is ground clearance. I feel like a Subaru guy with class
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 12-03-2018 at 12:26 PM.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    Taking a look at a 2013 Acura TL SH AWD tonight. Higher highway kms. Decided I don't want or need a truck at this time with gas prices and parking etc. Can rent one for the odd track day if needed. It ticks all of my boxes on paper. I love my Accord 6-6 but don't like how overpowered it is for fwd on icy roads and also want 4 doors/awd for practicality. What do I need to look out for on a higher mileage SH AWD? J series V6 is pretty bulletproof as long as oil changes were kept up but I've read about oil consumption issues, prop shaft noise and other things. I've never owned an AWD vehicle. Help me out!
    Sorry this is off topic but why would you be renting a truck... for track day?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by CMW403 View Post
    To tow his track car, I would assume.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by CMW403 View Post
    To tow the white trash Ferrari. I don't think it's needed though as all maintenance has been done over winter. It needs nothing. Fresh tires, coolant, brakes etc etc. Test out castrols road course this summer!

Fun update to this. I got the letter for the oil consumption recall today. Sounds like the warranty is being pushed to 200,000KMs.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by sneek View Post
    Fun update to this. I got the letter for the oil consumption recall today. Sounds like the warranty is being pushed to 200,000KMs.
    Do you mind posting it? Mine has 202,000 on it. I've put about 2000 hard kms on it since purchase and the oil level hasn't budged. Glad I didn't get one of the oil burners.

My Ride
    G37X

Seems like the issue is more relevant to the auto cars. Wonder if those have that stupid cylinder deactivation to achieve the better fuel economy.

60% of TL 3.7 v6 owners with autos on the forum reported excess oil consumption vs 38.5% with the 6mt.

A 3.7L engine with Automatic Transmission (AT)?

60.24%

A 3.7L engine with Manual Transmission (MT)?

38.55%

A 3.5L engine with Automatic Transmission (AT)?

1.20%

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Damn. I would have liked to have kept mine then!
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    G37X

Is there any liability or recourse as a buyer with a used car dealership selling a vehicle with a severely cracked timing belt that had obviously never been changed? The vehicle came with an inspection from a shop however I don't know if that is something that is checked. Had it broken, I surely could've been in an accident or at the very least had significant valve damage to my engine. I have the old belt for proof if this is something I could go to AMVIC for or ?

Is there any liability or recourse as a buyer with a used car dealership selling a vehicle with a severely cracked timing belt that had obviously never been changed? The vehicle came with an inspection from a shop however I don't know if that is something that is checked. Had it broken, I surely could've been in an accident or at the very least had significant valve damage to my engine. I have the old belt for proof if this is something I could go to AMVIC for or ?
    Unless you've got an inspection that says they looked at the timing belt you're going to be SOL. The AMVIC inspections are just for safety related item and no dealership is going to pull the timing cover for that.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if they sent me one for my 2014.... I'm only at 75,000KM but I haven't noticed any burning yet.

Seems like the issue is more relevant to the auto cars. Wonder if those have that stupid cylinder deactivation to achieve the better fuel economy.
    The AT's do not have VCM. They do however have sketchy prop shaft issues..etc.

My Ride
    G37X

The AT's do not have VCM. They do however have sketchy prop shaft issues..etc.
    I suppose its the more economical auto transmission shift points then. Or are the mileage claims inflated? Good to hear they don't have the VCM like the v6 accords.

My Ride
    G37X

So I adjusted the valves as they were quite loose and not done by prior owner at recommended 170-180 k interval. Turns out the timing belt and tensioner and spark plugs were all original as well - yikes. Belt was seriously cracked. Curiously, I'm now averaging 9.5 - 10 L/100 kms vs 11-13 L/100kms driving on deerfoot in the same spirited/decent manner. Hopefully the decent economy continues! Could adjusting loose valves and replacing original iridium spark plugs with 200 km (still looked reasonable albeit old) really bump my fuel economy up by 2-3 L/100 kms?

So I adjusted the valves as they were quite loose and not done by prior owner at recommended 170-180 k interval. Turns out the timing belt and tensioner and spark plugs were all original as well - yikes. Belt was seriously cracked. Curiously, I'm now averaging 9.5 - 10 L/100 kms vs 11-13 L/100kms driving on deerfoot in the same spirited/decent manner. Hopefully the decent economy continues! Could adjusting loose valves and replacing original iridium spark plugs with 200 km (still looked reasonable albeit old) really bump my fuel economy up by 2-3 L/100 kms?
    Could a more complete burn of the fuel you're injecting create better MPG? Hell yes it could! Nothing curious about your new found gas mileage.

I'm surprised about valves being so loose. Ever since the invention of hydraulic lifters, valve adjustments have pretty much become void.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I'm surprised about valves being so loose. Ever since the invention of hydraulic lifters, valve adjustments have pretty much become void.
    Both Honda's and Subaru's need it, most don't know this and 99% of the cars never have it done. Subaru is with shims (pain in the ass), Honda is just a quick feeler gauge and tighten, easy to do when doing a timing belt.

My Ride
    G37X

236,500 kms on it now. Had to replace the clutch and oem dual mass flywheel as that gave out at 220,000 kms. Stupid expensive , $5000 at Silverhill Acura. No one else in town would touch it including Clutch Pro as apparently it's a high risk/annoying job to do. Also had the front cylinder head "guts" cam, rockers etc replaced under Lubrico warranty. No oil consumption. Such a fun winter car..need some red rally armour mud flaps & a vape pen next. It's not too bad on gas although it does need 91 octane, average 10-11.5 L /100 kms with semi aggressive driving.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast