Quantcast
The TV Deals and Recommendations Thread - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 87 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast

Thread: The TV Deals and Recommendations Thread

My Ride
    Trucks

Can you still heat a large basement movie theatre with an OLED like you could with a plasma?

My Ride
    *The First*

I bought the 65" Sony XBR X900F and I'm blown away. Goes on for $2,000 frequently. Down from $2400.
    It supposedly has "local array dimming" which is supposedly a big upgrade. It's incredible.
    Their OLED version is a crippling $4,000! I think they call it an A8F. I've always been a fan of buying the top end but I couldn't justify it on a basement TV this time.
    Sony now has pricing control so it's mandated to be the same price everywhere. Even Double Diamond in Edmonton can't sell it cheaper. I picked Costco for their freebie extra warranty.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bought the 65" Sony XBR X900F and I'm blown away. .
    I did the 75" X900F. Had analysis paralysis for a while. Almost went with the Vizio, then got a quote from an extended family member who could get dealer cost, and it was a no-brainer.
    Love this TV! Coming from a couple of plasmas, I expected to be a bit disappointed, but nope, it's great.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    The New Quantums aren't out anywhere yet. If it's anything like the PQ65 (2018), don't expect them to be out till Xmas in Canada, at ridiculous prices. The PQ65-F1 was initially priced at $3500 CAD, and Costco had it on sale for $3000.

With that said, this reminded me to check on pricing. Looks like the 2018 PQ65-F1 is on sale right now at Costco!

https://www.costco.ca/Vizio-Quantum-...100426650.html

Which puts it close to the lowest it's been offered in the US. Only 24 units left, just ordered mine.
    What are you replacing in your bedroom and will you be selling it?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    Costco just dropped the 80" Vizio E series to $2500.
    Anyone have any experience with the E series? It looks like its the 2017 model according to rtings and the HDR doesn't get very bright
    We picked up a E70 a few months ago for cheap and its been good i guess. We also have a M65 and they look pretty much the same to me. I did notice that the E70 has 'blooming' (had to google WTF its called) in a couple spots on an all black screen which is kinda annoying now that I've notice it. Also we don't watch anything 4k nor I have ever compared to any of the more expensive HDR tv's. We just wanted something good, cheap and big that will last a couple years.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by KRyn View Post
    What are you replacing in your bedroom and will you be selling it?
    I’m slowly upgrading my house to 4K HDR. The TV in my room goes into the guest room and I’ll be dumping that TV. An older 60 or 65” Samsung 1080p. Probably giving it to family, not worth anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    We picked up a E70 a few months ago for cheap and its been good i guess. We also have a M65 and they look pretty much the same to me. I did notice that the E70 has 'blooming' (had to google WTF its called) in a couple spots on an all black screen which is kinda annoying now that I've notice it. Also we don't watch anything 4k nor I have ever compared to any of the more expensive HDR tv's. We just wanted something good, cheap and big that will last a couple years.
    You won’t notice much difference between E and M until you feed it HDR content.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

What do you think I can sell a lightly used M65 for? The PQ65 is calling my name, incredible deal at $2k...

I'm only half joking.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    What do you think I can sell a lightly used M65 for? The PQ65 is calling my name, incredible deal at $2k...

I'm only half joking.
    Well M65 new is showing $999, and P75 is currently on sale for $1499 right now. And P65 is $1299. So..used $600
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Well M65 new is showing $999, and P75 is currently on sale for $1499 right now. And P65 is $1299. So..used $600
    Who is selling the P75 for $1499?

Costco however most of the inventory is all in Ontario

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Damnit, that would have been a no brainer for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Can you still heat a large basement movie theatre with an OLED like you could with a plasma?
    Modern plasmas were quite thin and didn't put off much heat, and OLEDs put out almost zero heat. The old, original plasmas were loud, thick, and hot but that improved dramatically as time went on.

OLEDs get really expensive above 55". Even the entry level ones are better at most things than everything else because each individual pixel is it's own light source. There is lots of debate surrounding OLEDs and HDR due to their organic nature, and the different pixel colors having different lifespans/brightness decay. Unless your TV is on 24/7 though, it will be many years before anything negative happens under normal use. Currently you can make LCDs brighter, but the flawless/infinite blacks on OLEDs can still give you higher contrast which makes it less of an issue - more of a personal preference thing at that point. Viewing angle is usually better on OLEDs, but a good LCD is almost as good and it's generally not an issue. Aside from projectors, I personally prefer the look of OLEDs (and plasmas) to the best LCD TVs currently available, but it is literally impossible to do any proper A/B comparisons without buying/calibrating every single TV in question and viewing them side by side in the exact same environment.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Aside from projectors, I personally prefer the look of OLEDs (and plasmas) to the best LCD TVs currently available, but it is literally impossible to do any proper A/B comparisons without buying/calibrating every single TV in question and viewing them side by side in the exact same environment.
    Good things rtings has done that for you.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

That's an insane steal for the P75, just saw the thread on RFD.

We've been pretty happy with the M65 but we haven't moved to 4K content in our house yet.

BTW, have any of you experienced the TV turning back on by itself? Seems to be happening to ours from time to time.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    That's an insane steal for the P75, just saw the thread on RFD.

We've been pretty happy with the M65 but we haven't moved to 4K content in our house yet.

BTW, have any of you experienced the TV turning back on by itself? Seems to be happening to ours from time to time.

Had a TV at my parents basement that would do that, very old Panasonic tube. We determined it was possessed. It was a TV that my grandparents had.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I'll play around with the settings and see what happens. Just found a reddit thread that recommended switching from eco mode to quick start.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Good things rtings has done that for you.
    They don't have every TV in their possession at once, to my knowledge. I believe their comparisons are primarily based on past notes/test results rather than constant A/B testing anytime something new comes out. They are a good resource for sure but nothing beats having all your options in your intended viewing environment at once for a proper audition with regards to lighting, seating position, reflections, calibration, content, compatibility with other components, aesthetics, etc. There are also subjective factors that nobody can really account for except the owner/viewer (for example rainbow effect in the case of a DLP). It's just really hard with TVs, calibrating them can take hours and buying on spec alone isn't always guaranteed happiness. Pretty much every TV looks awesome when there is nothing to compare it to though, which is why I usually tell people to just buy the biggest one they can afford if they aren't enthusiasts and if it isn't going in a dedicated viewing environment.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Got the E series in and I hated it. Have blackout blinds in my bonus room and I found it hard to see when I was playing video games in dark environments
    Anyone have any experience with the Sony 850F? looks like the 900F is the way to go but its also $1500 more

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Did you have a chance to calibrate the settings or is this out of the box?

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

i grabbed the settings off on rtings
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vi...-2017/settings

Page 16 of 87 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast