Quantcast
The TV Deals and Recommendations Thread - Page 21 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 21 of 87 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast

Thread: The TV Deals and Recommendations Thread

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The newer/better ones seem to have both...the one I mentioned above supports 4 different formats including DV. I’ll have to get one and try it out.
    I meant with media. Still lots of new titles releases are DV in digital only, and physical media stuck with HDR10.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    XT6

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Yup. In 80"+ there's really nothing out there. You can spend crack money on a Samsung, but you'll never take advantage of things fully without Dolby Vision. After that your only option is the Sony 950G but that's crack money.

75" fares a little better, again I'm eliminating all the Samsungs from contention, leaving the Sony Z9F in crack money territory, and the 950G as mediocre bang for the buck in the $5k range.

It'll be interesting to see where vizio prices the P75X in Canada. In the US it's priced the same as the 950G, but Vizio lowers pricing much more aggressively than Sony. If that TV drops down to $3500cad, I'm there.
    Do you know when they release the new P75?

The 75" Sony 900F ~$3,500 feels like a good buy. I want and have room for the 85" but $5,700 is a lot of dough for a TV that gets watched for F1 and a movie every few months.

The other thing that worries me is format war between DV versus HDR and 4K versus 8K. Haven't done enough research there yet.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler_Racing View Post
    Do you know when they release the new P75?

The 75" Sony 900F ~$3,500 feels like a good buy. I want and have room for the 85" but $5,700 is a lot of dough for a TV that gets watched for F1 and a movie every few months.

The other thing that worries me is format war between DV versus HDR and 4K versus 8K. Haven't done enough research there yet.
    The PX75-G1 should be out in the next month or 2. Initial prices will be stupid expensive, won't be cheap until this time next year. This guy is rated at 2900 nits peak. I'm buying it when it hits $3500.

The P659-G1 is targeting a lower price than the 900F with similar HDR performance, but until it's out, we won't know. This guy is rated at 1000 nits peak, roughly identical to the Sony.

If you haven't seen good HDR yet and don't know any better, the best bang for the buck is the Samsung 82" NU8000. I've been using that TV for a year now and have been happy with the size/$ ratio.

4K wasn't a big leap from 1080p, I don't expect 8K to be even noticeable unless you have a 200" screen or something silly.

The HDR format war isn't that big of a deal, as HDR is open source, and DV is built on top of HDR so it supports base HDR anyways. DV just brings better metadata scene by scene to get even closer to the director's intended look. Dolby did an excellent job in being DV ready end to end so all the tools were available right off the bat to directors to master their HDR print, so in my eyes it's already won. HDR10+ (Samsung's free version of DV) isn't really taking off, as it's not as in depth as DV through the entire production chain. With 2x more movies coming out in DV vs only base HDR, yea, there's no competition.

I still owe you lunch. PM me your cell # and let's get it organized.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Dolby Vision and other HDR has nothing to do with viewing distance. You can see the highlights regardless of distance. There are over 250 movies in DV available digitally, over 100 on Blu-ray UHD, I own 60 of them digitally. 1/2 of new releases are DV today on digital platforms.

That’s why I’ve said HDR makes a bigger impression than 4K.

Edit - I was wrong about digital. iTunes has 447 in DV today. https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1505495519

That doesn’t include the Disney titles on Vudu. I probably have more than 60 as well, iTunes upgrades old HD purchases as the 4K version gets released for free so I’ve officially lost track.
    Holy shit, didn't realize there were so many titles in DV. Do you stream these or store them locally? Any idea on how big the file sizes are?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Stream. I store nothing at my house. No clue on file size, but yea, it's a lot of usage!

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 1.28.05 PM.png
Views: 539
Size:  38.1 KB

edit - quick count, 171 of my 700 movies are in 4K + Dolby Vision.

My Ride
    XT6

The PX75-G1 should be out in the next month or 2. Initial prices will be stupid expensive, won't be cheap until this time next year. This guy is rated at 2900 nits peak. I'm buying it when it hits $3500.

The P659-G1 is targeting a lower price than the 900F with similar HDR performance, but until it's out, we won't know. This guy is rated at 1000 nits peak, roughly identical to the Sony.

If you haven't seen good HDR yet and don't know any better, the best bang for the buck is the Samsung 82" NU8000. I've been using that TV for a year now and have been happy with the size/$ ratio.

4K wasn't a big leap from 1080p, I don't expect 8K to be even noticeable unless you have a 200" screen or something silly.

The HDR format war isn't that big of a deal, as HDR is open source, and DV is built on top of HDR so it supports base HDR anyways. DV just brings better metadata scene by scene to get even closer to the director's intended look. Dolby did an excellent job in being DV ready end to end so all the tools were available right off the bat to directors to master their HDR print, so in my eyes it's already won. HDR10+ (Samsung's free version of DV) isn't really taking off, as it's not as in depth as DV through the entire production chain. With 2x more movies coming out in DV vs only base HDR, yea, there's no competition.

I still owe you lunch. PM me your cell # and let's get it organized.
    I'll send you a PM.

My Ride
    *The First*

PSA:
    The Sony X900-F televisions are currently on sale for as low as Sony will allow them to be sold for. All stores will have the same price so pick whichever you want. I'd consider Visions as they'll likely give you a massive discount on anything else you buy along with it although Costco has the warranty bonus. I bought mine on Costco online and it was a shitty experience with unreasonable delays.
    That brings the 65" down to $2k which is also what it was on Boxing Day since Sony now has price control.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Got the 82NU8000 in and mounted. Great TV!!!
    Looking for a backlight setup for it, what are you guys using?

My Ride
    Has wheels

No backlight set up for me. You can see my setup a few pages back, I think I changed entertainment stands since that photo but not a big deal.

I'm very happy with the tv so far, especially at size/price point. I think you will be too!

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    Got the 82NU8000 in and mounted. Great TV!!!
    Looking for a backlight setup for it, what are you guys using?
    I have tried several and now all my TVs are using the lifx strips
    https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/l...t-buy/11456460

You Can have multicoloured zones if your into that type of thing. I like them because they are far brighter then hue strips (don’t get me wrong I have several hue bulbs and strips in my house as well) and I feel I can get them to get to daylight much easier with painted walls then I could with the hue. I know yo can get cheap ones on amazon but they don’t compare to the control you can get with these especially if you use harmony as I have light levels, colours, and scenes setup for each input (PS4, Apple TV, Spotify, Cable, flames games etc).

Hue was decent in the basement but I really noticed the brightness difference on the main floor during the day which is why lifx won out.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

What’s the point of backlights?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Can anyone recommend a mount for the Vizio P65? I think its time I finally mount it on the wall so my wife can have her bookshelf back

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Can anyone recommend a mount for the Vizio P65? I think its time I finally mount it on the wall so my wife can have her bookshelf back
    I have 55" mounted with a generic mount off of Amazon. The 82" is mounted with a generic mount from visions. They matched Amazon pricing.

Both mounts are just flat mounts with the ability to tilt up/down as required.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    What’s the point of backlights?
    It increases the ambient light around the screen without increasing the light that shines into your eyes. This reduces eye strain in darker environments and increases the depth of blacks and greys without having to adjust the tv contrast or backlighting.

See the below example on how backlighting can impact the depth edit: the line is the same color.

Name:  7A2150D3-9216-42EF-BE30-EDF99E390160.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  9.6 KB
    Last edited by Kavy; 05-13-2019 at 02:09 PM.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

I got this one for my new TV. Seems expensive but it's an awesome mount. My studs are in a terrible spot to where I need my TV to be centered. This mount fixed that, highly recommended
    https://www.costco.ca/Kanto-PMX700-P...100341274.html

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
    I have tried several and now all my TVs are using the lifx strips
    https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/l...t-buy/11456460

You Can have multicoloured zones if your into that type of thing. I like them because they are far brighter then hue strips (don’t get me wrong I have several hue bulbs and strips in my house as well) and I feel I can get them to get to daylight much easier with painted walls then I could with the hue. I know yo can get cheap ones on amazon but they don’t compare to the control you can get with these especially if you use harmony as I have light levels, colours, and scenes setup for each input (PS4, Apple TV, Spotify, Cable, flames games etc).

Hue was decent in the basement but I really noticed the brightness difference on the main floor during the day which is why lifx won out.
    Thanks for this, picked up the 10ft starter kit at best buy. I'll try it out tonight

My Ride
    TRD Pro

The one negative thing about a bigger TV... easier for the kids to hit with something. 2 week old 65" TV is now garbage.

Name:  20190518_080519.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  39.6 KB

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Oh man that sucks! Credit card incidental coverage?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Unfortunately not... Won it from an online raffle.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I used this one from Amazon on my 75". It's a beast. Seems quite well-built.
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B077XC8M5V/...394800_TE_dp_1
    Last edited by The_Penguin; 05-18-2019 at 10:23 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Unfortunately not... Won it from an online raffle.
    Connect kids stuff to it. That’s now their TV. Lock all the other TVs with a code. Teach them the value of things by making them watch tv with 10% of the screen missing for 10 years or until they do enough chores to pay for a new one. Best life lesson ever.

Page 21 of 87 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast