Thread: The TV Deals and Recommendations Thread

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just order it online, it's only $30 more and it'll come right to your door:
    in as little as 10 short weeks.

https://www.costco.ca/tcl-55-in.-4k-...100474654.html

Not having to go to Costco is worth $30 IMO haha.
    Who cares about if it takes 10 weeks to get there?! You saved thirty entire dollars!
    Fixed that fur ya.
    It's cool driving by eight stores that have your product on a daily basis while you wait for some back ordered, horse shit from Mississauga to mysteriously arrive with zero notice from their alleged tracking number.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Fixed that fur ya.
    It's cool driving by eight stores that have your product on a daily basis while you wait for some back ordered, horse shit from Mississauga to mysteriously arrive with zero notice from their alleged tracking number.
    I order quite a bit from Costco, 8-10 weeks usually means 1-2, but I guess there's always a bit of a risk it actually takes as long as it says. Never had an issue with delivery or tracking personally. Last thing I ordered was a 65" TV that arrived early and with a heads up phone call to arrange a time.

My Ride
    *The First*

I order quite a bit from Costco, 8-10 weeks usually means 1-2, but I guess there's always a bit of a risk it actually takes as long as it says. Never had an issue with delivery or tracking personally. Last thing I ordered was a 65" TV that arrived early and with a heads up phone call to arrange a time.
    Yes, I know I'm in the minority but my experience was quite bad and they did fuck all about it. Plus, because I bought a Sony, it was the same price as everywhere else so I had to wait even though all other stores had it.

Results not typical but just know that things can go wrong.

Costco online is terrible. Had 3 orders over Dec 2019.
    1) Was supposed to be a gift, but had no packaging just stuffed in a shipping bag.
    2) Wrong item was sent
    3) A different model of the same item was sent.
    Last edited by phreezee; 01-25-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Having 2 issues with my Vizio P659 G1 (2019 P series Quantum 65"):

1) It randomly turns itself on, despite not being hooked up to the primary ARC HDMI input and CEC disabled on both the TV and source. Twice I have come downstairs in the morning to find it on, and it was 100% turned off the night before. I wonder if the remote is the culprit, but that's pretty hard to diagnose.

2) A few times now I have seen random colored lines flickering across the screen, I am still trying to find out if this is the TV, the HDMI cable, or the Shield. I am 99% sure it's the TV though because I have swapped HDMI cables as well as used a different source (Chromecast) and seen the same issue. Tried different HDMI ports as well. The problem is intermittent and not easily repeatable which makes it extremely difficult to troubleshoot. Going to try reset the TV and see if that does anything, otherwise it's getting exchanged. I might just return it and get my HT installer to give me a Samsung Q80R/Q90R instead, but then I lose the 5 year warranty from Costco.

I'm hoping it's something silly/simple but it's looking more like it's going to be a PITA. At least I haven't mounted it yet.
    Thought I should update this.

1) This turned out to be a CEC setting on the Nvidia Shield I did not see the first time around - my mistake there. However, even with CEC on the TV disabled, it was odd that the Shield could still override that and turn it on with CEC enabled only on the Shield.

2) Flickering lines has not happened in the last few weeks, despite happening regularly shortly after getting the TV. Nothing has changed, it just stopped. Unfortunately I can't trust this TV anymore, but it has been OK.

New Stuff:
    3) Scenes with solid/uniform light colored backgrounds have pretty bad vertical banding (aka the DSE Effect) that I personally find very distracting. It's somewhat normal for FA back-lit TVs but this is too prominent for my taste. Once you see it, you cannot unsee it.

4) Weird pulsating noise (coil whine?) emanates from the rear of the TV intermittently. It's loud enough for me to hear from the couch easily.

I am going to order a Samsung Q80R 65" instead and am hoping that is a little better. It also has better viewing angles which is going to matter for my application.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-27-2020 at 11:15 AM.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Thought I should update this.

1) This turned out to be a CEC setting on the Nvidia Shield I did not see the first time around - my mistake there. However, even with CEC on the TV disabled, it was odd that the Shield could still override that and turn it on with CEC enabled only on the Shield.

2) Flickering lines has not happened in the last few weeks, despite happening regularly shortly after getting the TV. Nothing has changed, it just stopped. Unfortunately I can't trust this TV anymore, but it has been OK.

New Stuff:
    3) Scenes with solid/uniform light colored backgrounds have pretty bad vertical banding (aka the DSE Effect) that I personally find very distracting. It's somewhat normal for FA back-lit TVs but this is too prominent for my taste. Once you see it, you cannot unsee it.

4) Weird pulsating noise (coil whine?) emanates from the rear of the TV intermittently. It's loud enough for me to hear from the couch easily.

I am going to order a Samsung Q80R 65" instead and am hoping that is a little better. It also has better viewing angles which is going to matter for my application.

How much you gonna sell the Vizio for
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    How much you gonna sell the Vizio for
    Exactly what I paid for it - Costco has a 90 day return policy

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Yeah I won't buy another Vizio. I have the exact same vertical banding issue as Mitsu and it ruins everything for me as I can't unsee it.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    Yeah I won't buy another Vizio. I have the exact same vertical banding issue as Mitsu and it ruins everything for me as I can't unsee it.
    It's not something that is specific to Vizio's (you will probably see it to some degree on most full array back-lit TVs with grey/uniform backgrounds), however on the P659-G1 (or at least my sample of it) it was quite prominent, and once you see it, you always look for it. I don't have my Q80R yet but I'm curious to see if I can notice it at all. If you're slightly off-axis, it exaggerates the issue. Apparently Sony's are really bad for it too, or at least certain models.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    I've had a vizio 4K M70 i believe for 4 years.. absolutely no problems.

Ill 100% be buying another vizio when my 70" feels to small

My Ride
    fairlady tt

Well after spending the better part of a week and a half watching tv i have come to the realization i need something bigger. Looking to replace my old as fuck 47 inch Samsung with a 65 inch as that's pretty much the limit for the space. I've been out of paying attention to tvs since i bought my last one in 09/10 no idea where to look now days as i got my last one from Memory Express back then. Any help is appreciated.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by P_D View Post
    Well after spending the better part of a week and a half watching tv i have come to the realization i need something bigger. Looking to replace my old as fuck 47 inch Samsung with a 65 inch as that's pretty much the limit for the space. I've been out of paying attention to tvs since i bought my last one in 09/10 no idea where to look now days as i got my last one from Memory Express back then. Any help is appreciated.
    Every page the past 10 talks about a Vizio PQ, sooo, yeah.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by P_D View Post
    On sale right now for almost near Black Friday pricing $1299. I believe in store its $1199 if you can find it
    https://www.costco.ca/vizio-quantum-...100494689.html
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    On sale right now for almost near Black Friday pricing $1299. I believe in store its $1199 if you can find it
    https://www.costco.ca/vizio-quantum-...100494689.html
    It’s the X that you want.

https://www.costco.ca/vizio-quantum-...100500026.html
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Axis powers

Time to replace my 60" LG, having weird bands on the top and bottom, not looking to go all out due to the uncertainty right now and potential wage cuts

prefer >=60", not glossy as it's in a bright location <$800 if possible, don't care about it being smart as my STB and Chromecast take care of all that, hoping there's some decent prices with retailers looking to clear stock
    Sig nuked by mod.

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    Time to replace my 60" LG, having weird bands on the top and bottom, not looking to go all out due to the uncertainty right now and potential wage cuts

prefer >=60", not glossy as it's in a bright location <$800 if possible, don't care about it being smart as my STB and Chromecast take care of all that, hoping there's some decent prices with retailers looking to clear stock
    I recently picked up a 65" TCL 6 series 2018 for about 820 from costco. Really happy with it and would recommend. Probably one of the best bang for buck HDR TVs. Here's the rtings review:
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-2018

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I was really on the PX75 but thinking the LG 77 OLED might be more my speed.

PX is almost too attainable, need to set my goals on something a bit more out of reach or else I might actually buy one.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    rally pig

Went with a Samsung Q80R (55" for us) at a great deal and paired with a Q60R soundbar
    Really happy with the performance and size. works great in rooms with lots of windows light.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    I recently picked up a 65" TCL 6 series 2018 for about 820 from costco. Really happy with it and would recommend. Probably one of the best bang for buck HDR TVs. Here's the rtings review:
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-2018
    The TCL is a great TV, but there's some sort of bug where night scenes in Dolby Vision gets brightened up and pixelated with odd colours. Very few scenes exhibit this behaviour, but my brother has caught a couple (he picked up the TCL on my recommendation last year).

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I was really on the PX75 but thinking the LG 77 OLED might be more my speed.

PX is almost too attainable, need to set my goals on something a bit more out of reach or else I might actually buy one.
    My brother ended up going the OLED route, and after spending time with both the Quantum X vs LG OLED, I would still go with the Quantum X.

I always thought the Quantum X was poor at gradients, but turns out, it's the Apple TV background that's just poor. The exact same gradient banding was on the LG with some of the Apple TV icons and menu backgrounds. Makes sense why I was pointing out only CG (not Hollywood CGI) imagery has this problem, as it's a source issue. The Quantum X is noticeably brighter peaks for HDR/DV (pretty obvious) so that's a plus. There is 0 blooming on the LG OLED (pretty obvious) but the latest firmware actually fixed 80% of the bad blooming on the Quantum X. It's pretty much non existent except for the most extreme scenes. The biggest takeaway is that for the majority of scenes, both TV's look almost identical, while the HDR/DV scenes designed to showcase HDR, the Quantum X blows the LG out of the water.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Are any of these good to use as a computer monitor?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Page 37 of 87 FirstFirst ... 27 36 37 38 47 ... LastLast