Quantcast
The TV Deals and Recommendations Thread - Page 36 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 36 of 87 FirstFirst ... 26 35 36 37 46 ... LastLast

Thread: The TV Deals and Recommendations Thread

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I watched on a laser Sony projector, and it's the closest I've seen to replicate the wide color gamut from LCD/OLED screens.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I watched on a laser Sony projector, and it's the closest I've seen to replicate the wide color gamut from LCD/OLED screens.
    Color gamut isn't too much of an issue with projectors, around the $1.7-$2K mark you can get ~100% of the P3 gamut by buying the right model. The Epson 4010 can do it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Color gamut isn't too much of an issue with projectors, around the $1.7-$2K mark you can get ~100% of the P3 gamut by buying the right model. The Epson 4010 can do it.
    Well the blacks must be deeper and offer a better contrast ratio then. It looks much more vivid.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Well the blacks must be deeper and offer a better contrast ratio then. It looks much more vivid.
    Could be. Blacks/contrast is one area where projectors vary pretty wildly, though to notice a difference you need a significant variance. For example a projector with a claimed 200,000:1 contrast ratio will not look 6 times worse than a projector with a 1,200,000:1 contrast ratio though it will be noticeably better, especially in a dark room. If ambient light is too high, they will look identical despite that difference. Manufacturer contrast numbers though are often highly ambiguous.

This is also why a really good 1080P projector can in some cases look better than an entry level 4K projector - the contrast/blacks, lens, etc. will all be way better on the really good 1080P unit, and if the image pops a lot more it will look more pleasing to most people despite the lower resolution.

Around the $3000 mark, you start to see pretty incredible black levels in projectors. That is one area the cheaper units tend to compromise, along with lens quality which affects things like light output, image uniformity, and sharpness.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-10-2020 at 03:35 PM.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Thanks guys, I did some light reading on bias lighting as well, not complex at all so I'll try to grab a cheap kit off Amazon and give it a whirl.
    Grab the Luminoodle set. I have the Pro X large set and I love it. Plugs into the USB port in the TV so you don't have to worry about having to switching it on

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

TCL 65" 6 series is back in stock at Costco for $899...is this a good buy for the price point or should I be looking at the Vizio/Samsung brands at this price? Looking to upgrade from my old 42" LG, just for regular day to day TV/Netflix streaming and some occasional gaming...thoughts?

https://www.costco.ca/.product.4236165.html
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLuck View Post
    TCL 65" 6 series is back in stock at Costco for $899...is this a good buy for the price point or should I be looking at the Vizio/Samsung brands at this price? Looking to upgrade from my old 42" LG, just for regular day to day TV/Netflix streaming and some occasional gaming...thoughts?

If its just being used for what you said, I don't think it really matters what brand you get then.

But heres a thread on your specific TV

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/cost...-ca-2326109/2/
    Last edited by dj_rice; 01-21-2020 at 02:17 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

That is a perfect TV for basic usage in what I am assuming is a living room. Above average and cheap. You could probably go even cheaper if you want, assuming you aren't a video enthusiast.

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    If its just being used for what you said, I don't think it really matters what brand you get then.

But heres a thread on your specific TV

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/cost...-ca-2326109/2/
    Thanks for that link!

- - - Updated - - -

That is a perfect TV for basic usage in what I am assuming is a living room. Above average and cheap. You could probably go even cheaper if you want, assuming you aren't a video enthusiast.
    Yeah its for the living room, turns out the 65 might be a little too big so Im shopping around for a 55" now, did some measuring last night.
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Yeah its for the living room, turns out the 65 might be a little too big so Im shopping around for a 55" now, did some measuring last night.
    No such thing as too big, unless it physically will not fit. If you read through this thread, that seems to be one thing everyone agrees on. Get the most size you can fit, biggest is best.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by bruceod View Post
    No such thing as too big, unless it physically will not fit. If you read through this thread, that seems to be one thing everyone agrees on. Get the most size you can fit, biggest is best.
    Respectfully disagree. It depends on the location, and decor. A 85" tv in my living room would be gaudy as fuck and take over the room, so we have a 50" one in there for daily tv viewing that blends in well with the decor.

In a basement, or secondary room (family room etc.), then the bigger the better.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Respectfully disagree. It depends on the location, and decor. A 85" tv in my living room would be gaudy as fuck and take over the room, so we have a 50" one in there for daily tv viewing that blends in well with the decor.
    Leave a screensaver on it. Instant art.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

It was the first TV purchase for me in years but I've often been tempted to switch my M65 for a TCL 6 series, mostly because of the higher nits I keep reading about.

I used the rtings settings but maybe there's other things I can fiddle with on the M65 to get a brighter picture.

@rage2 If I post my settings, any chance you could give it a look over and provide suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    It was the first TV purchase for me in years but I've often been tempted to switch my M65 for a TCL 6 series, mostly because of the higher nits I keep reading about.

I used the rtings settings but maybe there's other things I can fiddle with on the M65 to get a brighter picture.

@rage2 If I post my settings, any chance you could give it a look over and provide suggestions?
    Every TV is unique, you may or may not have luck with generic calibration settings. The only way to do it properly is with a colorimeter and software like CALMAN.

If you just want your TV to look brighter overall, set the backlight to 100 and lower the gamma. Don't change the actual brightness. On Vizio TVs, the "medium" local dimming setting gives the brightest picture.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-22-2020 at 02:42 PM.

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post

In a basement, or secondary room (family room etc.), then the bigger the better.
    Well said!

My Ride

Thanks for that link!

- - - Updated - - -

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/cost...store-2350285/

55" Hisense TV $348
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Very cheap, but that TV doesn't have local dimming if that is important to anyone.

My Ride

Very cheap, but that TV doesn't have local dimming if that is important to anyone.
    Yeah just showing LadyLuck.

I need to get a new TV soon. To replace my 42" Toshiba Regza thats still going strong but its degrading, images are getting burnt into it. Been a good 10+ year run though.

That looks like a can't go wrong deal for a basic TV. Does anyone have any intel if any local Calgary stores have them in stock? I see in the RFD thread that someone claimed to get one here in town for $300, and figured i'd ask here before calling around.

Quote Originally Posted by beyond_ban View Post
    That looks like a can't go wrong deal for a basic TV. Does anyone have any intel if any local Calgary stores have them in stock? I see in the RFD thread that someone claimed to get one here in town for $300, and figured i'd ask here before calling around.
    Just order it online, it's only $30 more and it'll come right to your door:

https://www.costco.ca/tcl-55-in.-4k-...100474654.html

Not having to go to Costco is worth $30 IMO haha.

Page 36 of 87 FirstFirst ... 26 35 36 37 46 ... LastLast