Quantcast
2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix

Qualifying starts at 10am. Looks like the skies are about to dump a fuck load of rain. Let’s hope it happens for the lols.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Name:  70657i4ce1w11.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  40.3 KB

Watched the Ferrari's dominate FP3 and Crofty read a fan's tweet saying that Mercedes were sand bagging. Sure enough, Lewis on pole.
    Edit: Vettel only gets fined for breaking the scales.
    Last edited by phreezee; 11-10-2018 at 03:18 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Mixed feelings about Ocon penalty. He has a right to unlap himself. He gave plenty of space with most of his car on the curb. Max just assumed he wasn’t there. Racing incident with a bigger blame on Max.

Remember this is the same thing that happened here in 2008 that led to the epic final corner finale. Kubica unlapped himself on Hamilton, pushing Hamilton off line, which allowed Vettel to pass Hamilton and me having a heart attack.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Ocon totally at fault ... you don’t do that to the race leader, he could have picked a better place to pass.

My Ride
    XT6

Exactly, bone head move.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

What other place is there to pass?

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I liked what Hamilton said, ocon had nothing to lose, while verstappen had everything to lose. Shows the racing iq Hamilton is at, compared to verstappen.

Decent race either way. Still sucks to see Alonso slumping around the bottom. What’s the latest news other than a possible attempt at Indy 500 again.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Rumors of formula E. The Le Mans sportscar season is a 2 year season so there’s that as well till Le Mans (double race this year).

It wasn't like Max didn't know Ocon was there. He saw him while Ocon pulled ahead when they were side-by-side before Turn 1. As we've heard, Ocon had every right to unlap himself. Max assumed (and assumed wrong) that because he is the leader that Ocon would back off for Turn 2. Max basically headed for the apex of Turn 2 as if nobody was there. Just because you are the race leader, doesn't mean the other guy can suddenly disappear from the track. Ocon was faster than Max at that point of the race having just pitted for supersoft tires (while Max was on softs and managing the race). Max knew Ocon was faster than him as Ocon got close a couple of times during the previous lap and he was on the radio with the team about why Ocon was so fast. Max just didn't want Ocon to unlap him and took too much risk. Hamilton summed it up best... you always make sure there is space. But Lewis has the benefit of experience that Max does not have yet. It is a good learning experience for Max. He will be a bit careful from now on. In a way it is good that this happened now rather than during season that he is fighting for the championship. But you would think that his father would have told him to be extra careful with lap traffic LOL.

So after the race, Max shoved Ocon a couple of times and it looks like he will have to do some 'public service' as punishment. It was pretty light pushes from Max from the video posted, but remember this is F1. He could have been given a much harsher punishment.

My Ride
    944 535xi F250

Name:  9BD97AF9-8B1C-46A4-936C-7565DF1AC93F.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  32.8 KB

Like father like son. Hamilton called it correctly.
    ninja trainers motto

always be able to kill your students

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Oh man forgot about that one lol. I was so pissed off, being a Montoya fan.

I also have a hard time understanding the ruling:

https://www.fia.com/file/74818/download?token=Br-1CZ6p

Penalized for fighting for position, don’t you have to fight for position to unlap yourself?

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Still sucks to see Alonso slumping around the bottom. What’s the latest news other than a possible attempt at Indy 500 again.
    Confirmed McLean Alonso at the Indy 500
    Last edited by redline; 11-12-2018 at 06:27 AM.

My Ride
    XT6

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine Autowerks View Post
    Name:  9BD97AF9-8B1C-46A4-936C-7565DF1AC93F.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  32.8 KB

Like father like son. Hamilton called it correctly.
    Some might argue Senna called it correctly: A swift punch in the mouth to Eddie Irvine for un-lapping himself...

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/f...at-suzuka.html

I see both sides of it. Ocon is racing too, so if he has pace then he should unlap himself and get on with his race. But Jesus Christ, you don't fuck with the race leader. But...................... If you ARE the race leader, why would you take a gamble in just assuming someone will hit the brakes for you and risk an accident by closing a gap that isn't open and leaving Ocon no room? Seems like both drivers did something stupid, but I guess Max will gain some experience from this. And it is nice to see him get a taste of his own medicine. I like him as a driver because of how hard he goes for it, but he has fucked a lot of drivers whole races by being over aggressive when he has no business doing so.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I see both sides of it. Ocon is racing too, so if he has pace then he should unlap himself and get on with his race. But Jesus Christ, you don't fuck with the race leader. But...................... If you ARE the race leader, why would you take a gamble in just assuming someone will hit the brakes for you and risk an accident by closing a gap that isn't open and leaving Ocon no room? Seems like both drivers did something stupid, but I guess Max will gain some experience from this. And it is nice to see him get a taste of his own medicine. I like him as a driver because of how hard he goes for it, but he has fucked a lot of drivers whole races by being over aggressive when he has no business doing so.
    Ocon has to fight with the race leader to unlap himself. I dunno what options he has, dude was literally off the track on the curb giving Max the space. I don't think Ocon did anything stupid, and that penalty surely wasn't justified IMO.

So many people are arguing that Ocon should've just stayed behind Max. If that's the case, might as well just force lapped cars to retire as it's unimportant. Unlapping yourself has huge advantages. All it takes is a safety car for you to be back in the game if you're unlapped. What if it was Vettel that was lapped from an early bonehead move, should he have unlapped himself, which would require battling the leader, if he was faster than Max?

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Ocon has to fight with the race leader to unlap himself. I dunno what options he has, dude was literally off the track on the curb giving Max the space. I don't think Ocon did anything stupid, and that penalty surely wasn't justified IMO.

So many people are arguing that Ocon should've just stayed behind Max. If that's the case, might as well just force lapped cars to retire as it's unimportant. Unlapping yourself has huge advantages. All it takes is a safety car for you to be back in the game if you're unlapped. What if it was Vettel that was lapped from an early bonehead move, should he have unlapped himself, which would require battling the leader, if he was faster than Max?
    Exactly. Like I said, I see both sides of it. Ultimately Ocon was within the rules to do what he did, and Max should've just left the him room as he re-passed him. But still, Ocon also risked his entire race on fighting with the race leader, when he would've been long gone in one lap as soon as he had some more heat in his tires. So I still think both drivers did something stupid, because they both took a gamble and risked their whole race.

As far as the penalty goes, that was BS. Totally agreed there. Nobody broke the rules, it was a racing incident. But I think FIA was trying to make a point that you don't fuck with the race leader so you can go fight for last place.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

To me that is 100% on Ocon's fault and completely preventable.

Yes, you can unlap yourself. But to do so in such a reckless way when Max was clearly ahead in both turns 1 & 2 was dumb desperate move, even if it was for position. Add to the fact that he was trying to unlap himself to the leader who is not even racing him, likely only to get lapped in a few laps when Max's tires come to life? Stupidity all around and no wonder the FIA, other racers, SKY commentators and ex f1 racers all agree that Ocon was at fault there.

And then for Ocon to say that he was 'almost punched' is a bit laughable considering the video just shows Max pushing him after an exchange of words. Really lost a lot of respect for Ocon on this race.

https://streamable.com/fkpqj

Ocon's clearly faster than Max in the laps leading up to the clash. Verstappen knows he's there and turned into him. At worst 50/50 fault.