Quantcast
2013 Honda Fit daily driver/adventure-mobile build - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Honda Fit daily driver/adventure-mobile build

Is that a Nora from Queen's quote or something?

And ya it was a crazy long drive! Ontario literally makes up for almost half of it. It's huge. The Fit conquered most of it no problem. Just a few ultra rocky side roads and some really intense rain. I really don't think lowering for me is a good idea.

Picked up some goodies on the way home of course. These will replace my cracked Enkei summers. No problem sleeping on the side still. Also if anyone reading this happens to have any decent 16x7, 4x100 rim for sale let me know. I totally killed the Blizzaks on this trip and might need something immediately!

Name:  20211104_142026.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  199.2 KB

Name:  20211025_151503.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  413.1 KB

Just some small updates. I picked up some Sparco Terra's, 16x7 +30 and had new Xice Snow's mounted (Terra's were spry painted silver by the previous owner). The ride is so much better now, but the front end is rubbing like crazy due to the kswap added weight.

Name:  DSC_4835s.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  195.1 KB

I was having some major heat issues, heat was pretty much non existent and the engine wouldn't reach operating temperatures on a warm (+6C) day for a good twenty minutes of driving. A breather tank was then added to help burb the system but it didn't help. Turned out the KTuned V1 swivel thermostat wasn't cutting it. I had to get the V2 and now it's all good (don't buy a V1, V2 exists for a reason). The good news is that after all the heat issues the battery was straightened out and moved forward to make room for the now non existent breather tank.

Name:  DSC_4830s.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  263.3 KB

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by Chantastic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just some small updates. I picked up some Sparco Terra's, 16x7 +30 and had new Xice Snow's mounted (Terra's were spry painted silver by the previous owner). The ride is so much better now, but the front end is rubbing like crazy due to the kswap added weight.

Name:  DSC_4835s.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  195.1 KB

I was having some major heat issues, heat was pretty much non existent and the engine wouldn't reach operating temperatures on a warm (+6C) day for a good twenty minutes of driving. A breather tank was then added to help burb the system but it didn't help. Turned out the KTuned V1 swivel thermostat wasn't cutting it. I had to get the V2 and now it's all good (don't buy a V1, V2 exists for a reason). The good news is that after all the heat issues the battery was straightened out and moved forward to make room for the now non existent breather tank.

Name:  DSC_4830s.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  263.3 KB
    This thing has gotta be a blast to drive

@03ozwhip when you can really open it up it really is fun! Part of me wishes is was the A2/Z1 that could rev higher, but that's just too complicated electronically. It's not the same kind of rush you get out of a turbo car but it's still great. The power delivery as you'd expect is very linear. I really wouldn't mind another 20-30whp but that's hard to squeeze out while keeping it NA without doing quite the build.

Anyway, I finally got the Work wheels I picked up in Niagra powder coated in Alien Silver. It has some flake in it so it almost looks white in some light. Wrapped in Toyo Extensa HP2 performance all seasons.

I love this angle for photos because it makes it ever so apparent that it's basically the shape of an old mini van
    Name:  DSC_4932ss.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  669.3 KB

Name:  DSC_4915s.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  294.5 KB
    Last edited by Chantastic; 05-16-2022 at 02:33 PM.

Picked up some KTuned cosmetic goodies, but in truth they are a much more functional purpose for this build. With the windshield cowl in the position it is, opening the coil cap requires quite the angle and lots of force, and checking the dipstick is possible but not fun. These should help. The dipstick can bend (as you can see) and is specifically marked for the K24Z series motors (o-rings can be moved).

Name:  DSC_5016ds.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  107.3 KB

Name:  DSC_5026s.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  33.6 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20220811-144234_Instagram.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  186.8 KB

If anyone is bored on Sunday or wants to see the car, come say hi! It'll be at the Garagebox booth.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

I totally forgot about that this weekend, I might have to spin down.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Doing some small things before the show tomorrow. Installed Hybrid Racing shifter bushings. Shifting effort is increased but it is more direct feeling. I have detent springs as well to install, but they are underneath one of the mounts so that will have to wait for another day.

Name:  IMG_20220820_151424.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  151.2 KB

Repainted the steering wheel bezel and threw in the shifter bezel while I was at it. Removed the boot from the bezel and installed a new Hybrid delrin knob. It's now right at knee height!

Name:  IMG_20220820_151721.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  200.2 KB

Had Paul create a cover for the top of the radiator, it was pretty ugly before due to some radiator position changes. He also shoved foam inside to seal off the condenser and lowered the level to 0.5, it doesn't seem to be freezing the line anymore. Crossing fingers. I also painted the battery terminal cover black and added some red back on top to clean up the look of the bay.

Name:  IMG_20220820_151446.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  143.7 KB

Name:  received_386275720250365.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  236.2 KB
    Last edited by Chantastic; 08-20-2022 at 03:38 PM.

Some pics from the show courtesy of Jason Hoang! it was was weird coming in with a basically stock appearing Fit and having a Mclaren parked behind me. Links to more pics from the show: https://lifewithjson.com/

Name:  HRdsc04195.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  306.8 KB

Name:  HRdsc04328.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  340.8 KB

Name:  HRdsc04329.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  250.0 KB

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Probably got good attention there, don't think I've seen another K swapped Fit in town.

Yea lots of questions for sure. As far as I am aware there are only three Kswapped Fit's in the country, all of them are second gen and all are somehow in Alberta.

A series of aftermarket failures and an OEM wins, 1/2:

The flexible KTuned dipstick, keyword flexible, snapped in half! They sent me a new, all metal version after this. Why wouldn't they just remove the plastic ones if they clearly already knew this was a problem and designed a second version? The updated version isn't even on their website. The orange piece was just as long as the metal one before snapping and getting stuck in my dipstick tube.

Name:  KTuned distick.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  87.8 KB

Purchased a Takeros FRP spoiler add on. This could be due to my lack of experience installing these types of things, or fitment just plain sucked, I'm not sure. If I flattened one side down, the other side had an inch and a half gap. I wound up using lots of tape and black silicone, anything more than a foot away and you wouldn't notice. I tried to flex the piece but was fearful of snapping. Maybe it could be redone with proper clamps?

Name:  Takeros.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  116.0 KB

Found a set of aftermarket speaker rings. This install went relatively smoothly, as you'd expect.

Name:  speaker ring.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  165.3 KB

A series of aftermarket failures and an OEM wins, 2/2:

I was driving late last week when I heard a weird noise coming from the front right. I thought something was jammed in my suspension so I gave it a good wash and the sound went away till the next day. I was making a left turn and heard a significant clunk clunk. I got into a parking lot and hit a speed bump and got the clunk clunk again but way louder. I assumed I ran something over and destroyed whatever it was, or my tire. My tire was fine. I popped the hood to find this

Name:  Hasport 3.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  117.6 KB

These Hasport mounts have only been driven on for a year and a half! And I don't even track or autocross the car. I played it safe and had the car towed. I'm glad I did. The next day:

Name:  hasport 4.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  107.7 KB

The metal was rusted so this has likely been ongoing for some time now, without me noticing it. The engine was on the high mounting points. I know of several tracked Kswapped GE8's that have not had this happen, but they're all on the low mounting points because racecar. Waiting to hear back from Hasport on this one. In the meantime it has been welded back together.

I'll wrap this post up with some OEM, quality stuff. Overnight parts from Japan. OEM Hybrid tails (with blue bottoms), OEM Hybrid garnish, and OEM Mugen Fit Shuttle grille (not yet installed). The garnish was a pain to install until I made the right size tool to pop the fasteners out by taking a metal broom handle and bashing it into a giant flathead.

Name:  grille garnish.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  306.0 KB

Name:  garnish fix.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  96.1 KB

Name:  grille garnish2.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  711.4 KB
    Last edited by Chantastic; 02-20-2023 at 02:57 AM.

So Hasport has sent me a new mount. But now a buddy with another K swapped GE also had the cracking at the same point, but not as servere as mine (yet).

Also, the SRS light from the '08 Civic Si seats is finally gone! I had to source a '13 Fit bottom end.

Name:  Screenshot_20230411-125015_Gallery.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  484.1 KB

The idea was to get this bottom end attached to the Civic seat, which meant removing the Civic rail. Much drilling was involved.

Name:  Screenshot_20230411-125007_Gallery.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  211.7 KB

Next step was to remove all the seat back sensors from the Fit seat (there's this one plus a strip one).

Name:  Screenshot_20230411-125010_Gallery.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  165.3 KB

Removed all the springs from the weight sensors, and lined everything up to install.

I left the Civic backrest sensors in the seat and just threw the Fit ones on top. I also left the Civic airbags in (which are shaped very differently than the Fit ones). We got an error code at first but was able to calibrate everything without using a dealership tool. Win!

Edit: sorry things are a bit out of order. I give up.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Chantastic; 04-11-2023 at 01:09 PM.

The years of searching are over! I finally found the Mugen Fit Shuttle half bumper to go along with the Mugen Fit Shuttle grille. As far as I know there are likely less than 4 of the half bumpers in North America. It slips directly on top of the UDSM Sport bumper. This will likely be my last update for a while, as the Fit will going into 13 months of storage.

Thanks for following along!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  219.9 KB
    Last edited by Chantastic; 07-17-2023 at 12:57 AM.

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by Chantastic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The years of searching are over! I finally found the Mugen Fit Shuttle half bumper to go along with the Mugen Fit Shuttle grille. As far as I know there are likely less than 4 of the half bumpers in North America. It slips directly on top of the UDSM Sport bumper. This will likely be my last update for a while, as the Fit will going into 13 months of storage.

Thanks for following along!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  219.9 KB
    That's really cool. I'd be proud to drive that savage little fucker.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

The Fit was a good and cool car for the time, but let's face it - in stock form, it pretty much pales against many modern vehicles. This one, however, oozes the love put into it. Looking great!

Haha thank you both. It truly is a bare bones machine, and I'm always hesitant to add more weight to it unless it really modernizes it in some way. There are now two companies who finally offer camshaft upgrades, claiming up to a 20whp gain. I feel like that would be ideal power levels for what it is (roughly 220whp), but that decision will have to wait to be made a year from now. I'm always looking at new car offerings, but I just can't seem to find the right combo of things. Perhaps it's just in my nature to modify.

Installation of the grill was a little strange, with only the push clips coming down from the top and that's it. Literally nothing to secure it from the bottom but some questionable double sided tape that might act more as a damper than anything else.
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  277.6 KB

One more shot out in the daylight.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  452.8 KB

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

I like it a lot!
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

OP, were you drunk on Glenmore about 45 mins ago? That was an off day if I've ever seen one

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast