Quantcast
2013 Honda Fit daily driver/adventure-mobile build - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Honda Fit daily driver/adventure-mobile build

Ha! I'm just glad the Blizzaks were fine! I'm out of space to keep them around, you can take the busted ones if you want!
    @finboy I'm thinking 16's, but yes I do like those Regas.

Name:  20210727_164824.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  216.8 KB

So I have lots of time off and I definitely planned for it. First things first, oil change. I'm not sure what people mean when they say "it's like this engine was designed to be here"

Name:  DSC_4696a.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  256.4 KB

Installed some OMP pedals and a heel plate from Amazon. Hopefully that fixes the worn out floor mat issue.

Name:  DSC_4715a.JPG
Views: 546
Size:  212.5 KB

Engine was overheating on the way back from a recent Nelson trip in the smoke, 34C, and mega up hills. Hopefully this solves it but also with the engine mounts on their highest position the radiator is below the motor and that's not great. May need to install/salvage some kind of steamer set up. I initially bought the wrong style of cap so if anyone reading this is looking for a Spoon 1.35 rad cap for a Prelude or BRZ, lemme know.

Name:  DSC_4718a.JPG
Views: 557
Size:  158.4 KB

I spray painted my seats! This of course is high risk but honestly the Si seats couldn't get any worse. I am beyond happy with the results! I used a Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric spray, which makes the seats look ten years younger. Hoping it lasts a long time. The suede-ish material however now feels stiff, very similar to how Recaro's feel after a Woolite wash. It's not perfect but I'll take it! Before and after pic:

Name:  IMG_20210909_234622.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  161.4 KB

Lastly for this post, I've ordered a bunch of sound deadening material from B Quiet. Just finished stripping the interior floor. I will end up installing in the trunk, doors, and likely the roof too if I have enough material. I will be taking decibel readings as well to measure the difference at idle and at 100kph. The next gen Fit is so much quieter, this gen sucks for interior noise levels.

Name:  DSC_4731a.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  261.7 KB
    Last edited by Chantastic; 09-09-2021 at 11:57 PM.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Awesome! Those seats actually turned out pretty good!

For the sound deadening. Make sure you wipe everything down with some alcohol or acetone. Get a good bonding surface.

Ya I'm quite surprised and was instantly impressed with the first few seconds of spray on the seats. It doesn't change the fact that some of the fabric is pretty wrinkled, but it does hide it. I can't seem to find anyone who makes a fabric seat cover for those seats, only leather ones (other than OEM fabric and they are not cheap).

And thanks for the tip. This is all new to me. I've been using a roller and a spoon and it's gone well so far. I heard automotive glass cleaner works, so I've given everything a good vacuum followed by a spray down/wipe.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Now owning a k-series, god damn checking oil must be a pain in the ass
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Ha, I'm considering getting the KTuned dipstick that bends.

I have about a foot remaining of the CLD (silver stuff). This took up most of my week along with the trunk. Two layers were laid down where easy to do so. Sound results in the next post.

Name:  DSC_4734aa.JPG
Views: 428
Size:  303.0 KB

MLV laid on top. This took seconds by comparison.

Name:  DSC_4735a.JPG
Views: 422
Size:  300.5 KB

I had heard of people using spray foam to fill cavities in the trunk. That doesn't sound reversible to me and so I sliced up a pool noodle instead. How much this helps is unknown but it can't hurt.

Name:  DSC_4739a.JPG
Views: 427
Size:  218.8 KB

I did two layers of CLD on the roof. If you've ever driven one of these in a hailstorm, you'd understand why.

Name:  DSC_4742a.JPG
Views: 418
Size:  320.3 KB

I only did the outer door panels. I was running low on material and it doesn't seem very wise to do a full seal in terms of maintenance. Any strong opinions on this? I also threw in four Rockford Fosgate R1675X2 speakers while I was at it.

Name:  DSC_4746a.JPG
Views: 427
Size:  299.7 KB

Lastly I also installed a Honda Access trunk strap (#08L46-T5A-010) designed for a next gen Fit. I have no issues with how the trunk closes as is, however this will make it easier to close when I'm using the camper bed in the back. I did a crappy job cutting the opening.

Name:  DSC_4745b.JPG
Views: 423
Size:  146.0 KB

Sound deadening results:

Stock
    Idle: 51/49
    100kph: 75/73

Two layers of CLD on floor where possible in floor/trunk, two layers on roof, one layer of MLV on floor (not complete coverage)
    Idle: 51/49 (no change)
    100kph: 73/68 (2-5db drop)

Addition of single layer of CLD on outer door skins only
    Idle: 49/47 (2-3db drop)
    100kph: 73/68 (no change)

So in summary, the doors only make a difference at idle with the CLD. The MLV on the move makes the most difference. It's still not what I'd consider quiet but I'll take it. I'm considering stuffing the dash but I am worried about fire proofing. I'm open to suggestions!
    Last edited by Chantastic; 09-22-2021 at 06:25 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Pool noodles as you used are bad as they can hold moisture and cause rust issues.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pool noodles as you used are bad as they can hold moisture and cause rust issues.
    I suppose.
    If you try spray foam, that also won't work unless you get a pro kit. Mono foam nozzles won't work for a space that big.

Hmmm I didn't consider this. Well, good thing they're easily removable! I'm also considering stuffing the dash with something but am concerned with fire risk. I'll have to do some research there.

My Ride
    *The First*

If you're concerned with fire, then that's 3 strikes against spray foam. That shit is match heads.

I removed the pool noodles just in case, it only took a minute. I wouldn't consider spray foam for anything. It just seems like all around a bad idea. I did some further testing though. In order to hit 75db like when I was stock at 100kph I now have to be at 120kph. In other news, the AC now works with the original Civic compressor paired with a TSX pressure switch, and some line splicing. The splicing unfortunately poked right out of the fender liner so I had to make a bash guard for it. It's not pretty but it works at least for now. I used some scrap acrylic, a broken piece of interior trim, and a lot of silicone to block any incoming water. I may consider cutting up a fender liner from a scrap car to fashion something if this doesn't work out.

Name:  IMG_20210928_002039.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  166.7 KB

I took a road trip as a test and it survived, and AC was blowing cold until it suddenly was not at all. I opened up the glove box and found the factory sound deadening totally ripped up which was then getting sucked into the cabin air filter. The filter was covered in various nuts as you can see. About a week ago I found a dead mouse in the garage. I can only assume this was its handiwork. A new cabin air filter is on the way.

Name:  IMG_20210925_010743.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  200.1 KB

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Quote Originally Posted by Chantastic View Post
    About a week ago I found a dead mouse in the garage.
    Side note, take a look at your stack on the garage wall just in case. We had mice in the house about 5yrs ago, and they came in through the garage, walked along the gas line pipe and chewed underneath the stack where the pipe goes in, then had free access to the entire interior of the house. There will be dozens before you even know there's one.

Bonus round! Haha. Thanks for the tip. Thankfully this is a detached garage. But there is a hole in the bottom of the door trim I should fix.

I'm on quite possibly the longest road trip of my life! Left from Calgary and got to the east coast! 6200km's one way if you drive straight. I've been on the road for just over one month now. I am now on the journey home. Here are some shots and notes of the journey:

- next time if I'm by myself again I'm going to remove the passenger side bed for easier access to items and to save weight
    - air mattress from Aliexpress fits amazingly well, and can be folded in half if only one side is being used
    - air mattress isn't super durable and I accidentally stabbed it with a screwdriver and deflating it. Thankfully it came with a patch kit which worked great
    - cooler temperatures have made the air mattress loose almost all air (3-6C overnight)
    - Weathertech window covers are super easy to install and remove, but the bag totally sucks as they don't even fit properly in there
    - radio is cutting in and out, got it down to a single plug that I can toggle, but doing so sometimes stops the locks and from working. Replaced the radio in a parking lot. Good thing I brought my tools.
    - AC line is literally freezing up, and even begins to freeze when only heat is being used. Both AC and heat work, but the fan doesn't push through the vents. The fan itself seems to work just fine.
    - sometimes at wide open throttle, the engine cuts out for a brief moment. I think I have a crazy grounding issue? Unless the mouse did more damage than what I can see.

Cape Spear, the most eastern point of the country.

Name:  20211029_113354.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  275.2 KB

Name:  20211021_160937.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  296.6 KB

Camper setup worked relativey well.

Name:  20211022_110102.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  345.7 KB

Name:  20211021_174559.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  221.9 KB

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

That’s awesome! I need to to that drive one day

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Now THIS is overlanding! Amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

That’s crazy. I should do a trip one day, solo trips are good for the mind me thinks.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

"I saw a bum sleeping in a Fit the other day. They don't nap. They make it their home. They YOOR-UN-NATE in there!"

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast