Quantcast
2013 Honda Fit daily driver/adventure-mobile build - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Honda Fit daily driver/adventure-mobile build

For years, I've read your username as E-glove. I just realized now that it's probably EG-love!

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Quote Originally Posted by Chantastic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For years, I've read your username as E-glove. I just realized now that it's probably EG-love!
    It most definitely is eg-love haha

my old 92 dx with b16a1. Loved that car. Had a ge8 fit right after it too. Always wanted to K swap it.

Attachment 90403

It's been a while, and no, the swap is not done yet. Things have definitely been slowed down by covid, and now I have to ship an incorrect length axle back to Hasport. We are using an RSX intermediate shaft and are hoping that a RSX base axle will fit in the meantime. Here's hoping it won't take ten million years to get the correct one from Hasport with the current shipping situation.

Anywho, some updates:

Motor has been mounted in the highest position on the Hasport mounts. Valve adjustments may be next to impossible, however at least this way I won't smash my oil pan on something. The port and polished RBC intake manifold has a decent amount of space around it this way. For whatever reason, we didn't need to use the PRL manifold adapter, but the thermal gasket is on. The J35 throttle body is on, tune up parts are in, and the Hasport harness is hooked up as well.

Name:  DSC_3968ccc.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  129.0 KB

Hybrid Racing CRZ shifter has been installed using the 9th gen Civic shifter cables (I'll replace this blurry pic later). The CRZ shifter is needed as it's a six speed, and it thankfully basically shares the same chassis as the second gen Fit. The larger 51R battery has yet to be fitted, hopefully it clears the shifter bushings. The Civic cables are pretty long so some magic had to be worked there.

Name:  DSC_3964.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  77.6 KB

Some of the supports here had to removed to make clearance for the AC compressor. New support has been welded in on the left side (it's black and hard to see). The radiator reservoir had to be relocated as well.

Name:  DSC_3961.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  88.6 KB

KTuned swivel neck has been installed with a B series dummy switch as a filler, and unfortunately the rad rose had to be pieced together like this, but it will work.

Name:  DSC_3955.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  93.0 KB

Not much clearance for the fan (and it's zip tied for now). Hoping to get another one mounted on the other side.

Name:  DSC_3960.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  92.8 KB

Next up: Short ram and battery fitment, testing the RSX base axle, installing the fuel pump and a second fan and many more fitment things I'm sure, then hoping the electronics are hiccup free with the Flashpro. Oh and reprogramming the keys to think they're for a TSX.
    Last edited by Chantastic; 08-28-2020 at 02:39 PM.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Last edited by KRyn; 03-11-2022 at 10:55 AM.

@KRyn sadly no. It's still in the shop . The car was stalling after idling. Turns out hasport mixed one of the wires up, screwing up voltage readings and burning out fuses. More wiring work needs to be done to stop the AC from blowing full blast, from what I understand. I'm not an electronics guy and unfortunately this stage of the build is the hardest. I had to pick up a second car a week ago. I'm not in the position to have two cars right now but I haven't had a choice in the matter. I'll probably sell this (hopefully soon if I get the Fit back) before I attempt to manage two project cars.

Name:  20201015_212916.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  76.9 KB

My Ride
    *The First*

Don't sell that Z until Spring. Way more$$$ then.

That makes sense, just depends on life when I get the Fit back. I've done a lot of TLC and some minor mechanical work on it already.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

That makes sense, just depends on life when I get the Fit back. I've done a lot of TLC and some minor mechanical work on it already.
    What's the ETA on the Fit being roadworthy?

So hard to say. I'm not sure if we're a few fuses away, or a whole harness. I'm taking the Z in for some suspension work so I'll check in then (once the part arrives). It's pulling to the right only at higher speed (80+), apparently it's a well documented older Z/G problem. Needs a new compression rod/bushing.

My Ride
    *The First*

So hard to say. I'm not sure if we're a few fuses away, or a whole harness. I'm taking the Z in for some suspension work so I'll check in then (once the part arrives). It's pulling to the right only at higher speed (80+), apparently it's a well documented older Z/G problem. Needs a new compression rod/bushing.
    Yeah, fuck. The Z's incinerate tires on the front with feathering/cupping yet all the dealers act like it's the first car they've seen with this issue when it's been chronic for just a quick 16 years. #TheDealerKnowsYourBrand

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Yeah, fuck. The Z's incinerate tires on the front with feathering/cupping yet all the dealers act like it's the first car they've seen with this issue when it's been chronic for just a quick 16 years. #TheDealerKnowsYourBrand
    Ha! Ya. The Xice on the front look to be pretty evenly worn to my surprise, but the car was lowered and maybe that was corrected earlier with some alignment. I hadn't heard of this compression rod issue when I had my 06 G35, I guess they must have fixed it by then.

Name:  20201111_192228.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  84.7 KB

Just a quick update (sorry for the cell phone pic). Turns out the compression rod bushing had a very hard to detect crack in it! The car is not darty at all anymore, and doesn't pull to the right. It still feels like it floats around a bit, but I guess I'll chalk that up to being a soft top.

Edit: Not my house

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

What's the latest on this?

Will it be ready for spring?

Teaser pic:

Name:  a.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  94.2 KB

Here's the latest. The Hasport axles were installed but the driver side did not fit as it was too short. Hasport sent a new axle, I sent the old one back. Then the engine was not firing up and was throwing a bunch of FCAN codes. Thankfully there are a few very helpful fellow Fit people in the States who were able to provide some wiring knowledge. It was then determined that the TSX ecu was faulty. Replacement was sourced, installed it and the FCAN codes disappeared, but the engine still did not fire up. Second axle arrived from Hasport, this time way shorter than the first one. We then tried a RSX base axle and it was about 20mm too short, so Hasport is now building (and hopefully about to ship) a custom axle based off the RSX base axle measurements. Next was checking over the newly installed spark plugs which were fine. Turned out that an o-ring slipped off the new fuel pump. The car now fires up and is just waiting on the axle to arrive, and then likely a tune. Keeping all fingers and toes crossed that the axle is the correct fitment this time!

My Ride
    changes every year

Very cool!

Name:  20210307_173639.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  44.4 KB

Soooo close. The car runs. The third axle fits. After some base maps on the Flashpro, it runs good except once it passes around 5000rpm. It then bogs down and has some kind of WEN error. Could be a ground, low voltage...or who knows. The shifter cables also are hitting the (larger than oem Fit) battery when going into reverse.

Another update: the alternator I bought (8th gen Civic) was not holding power under high rpm. Had that replaced with a higher quality unit which now works fine (don't buy TYC alternators). The bumper cover and radiator had to be removed just to get to the alternator. The engine still bogs down after the second hard run despite the new, properly functioning alternator. Turns out that the Hondata Flashpro cannot communicate with the TSX ecu and Fit harness because they TSX ecu and Fit harness are missing a WEN wire (write enable). A wire connection was created, yet Flashpro will only let us data log, but not actually tune/upload. After getting some help online, apparently there is something called "all keys lost" that may need to be reset, or there's something wrong with the wire connection. The Flashpro is registered under my name and is up to date. I've since sourced a OBD2 port off another Fit and am hoping that will help. I'm all ears if anyone has other suggestions or experience with Flashpro.

Note for anyone else doing this swap: 09-10 Fit's have the WEN wire, 11-14 does not. The wire must go from 44 to 12. Older gen TSX's are known to have this issue with Flashpro as well.

My Ride
    2017 GTI

Any update on this now?

@dtrieu

Yes! It was finished a couple of days ago! The final steps was sorting out the main harness, which I can only presume was made for an 09-11 Fit without knowing that the 12-14 Fit was different. The car is much louder than I'd like it to be, but I'll enjoy it that way for now. Super excited to finally have the car back, obviously. We had to run several maps on the Flashpro and eventually got it running like OEM (minus AC, for now). Note the new battery angle compared to the previous pic, and just how wedged in the motor is. Valve adjustments will not be fun. It seems the K swap is just catching fire now on the Fit. Just recently now you can buy TSX harness plug and play adapters, and a kit to make the OEM shifter work. Both of these would have saved a lot of cash, but what's done is done.

Attachment 98671

7500rpm redline, 5000rpm VTEC engagement, 4000rpm launch control. With the new flywheel, it flies through gears pretty quick. I'm still getting used to the new clutch as well, it's very grabby and combining that with a super soft Honda clutch pedal throws me off. I've stalled plenty of times. The Fit, like the CRZ, really should have had a K option. They would have sold very well. In summary, I'm a happy camper!

I'll post up some other mods I've been installing since I got the car back (they've been sitting around waiting to be installed for a very long time), and also post a updated mod list on the first page.

Name:  DSC_4500a.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  104.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chantastic; 04-17-2021 at 09:21 PM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast